PDA

View Full Version : Leaders Perform Under Pressure

thedrifter
10-18-08, 09:22 AM
Leaders Perform Under Pressure

By DONALD J. MYERS, A Mind of My Own

Hernando Today

Published: October 18, 2008

When most people are faced with difficult decisions, they think back on their history and experiences. I was blessed as a young man when I decided to join the Marine Corps.

Boot camp was a challenge, but since I was in good shape when I entered, it was really not that difficult for me. I saw an officer only once during my training. The DIs were generally our sole contact, except for various instructors in different subjects such as weapons, administration, ordnance and various other subjects. When we graduated, I went home for my leave, but although I had changed, everything else remained the same. Even though I had 10 days, I returned to base early because I was anxious to continue my training.

My next stop was in California where I learned more about the infantry and then I sailed to the Far East with about a thousand other Marines. The tour in Japan and Korea lasted a year, and I returned with the 1st Marine Division from Korea as a corporal. Within the next year I was a sergeant and, before I knew it, I was on my way to The Naval Academy Prep School for possible induction into the academy. Throughout this time I continued to watch those leaders who were in my organizations. I had already decided that I would remain in the Corps for a career, so I went to school on those leaders who I thought were great.

At the academy, I did the same. Would anyone be surprised if I said that the Marines at the academy were the ones that impressed me the most? After four long years, I returned to the corps as an infantry officer. Upon graduation from basic school in Quantico, Va., I reported to the 2nd Marine Division at Camp Lejeune, N.C. I was just in time to deploy for the Cuban Missile Crisis. My battalion commander was a fantastic leader as was the regimental commander. If either one of them said something, you could put it in the bank because that is what would be done. During my time in the division, I deployed four times and, on my return from the fourth deployment, I had orders for Vietnam.

Combat allowed me to utilize all the various skills that I had developed over the previous 12 years. Learning from good leaders provided a great background for the entire year. I was able to pass this information and skill on to young lieutenants at the basic school where I led a platoon of lieutenants and then taught tactics.

During the following years, I had the opportunity to lead every size unit up to a regiment and also had the opportunity to continue to learn from seniors and juniors. The ones who I admired were the ones who could be depended upon when the going got tough. Combat brings out physical courage, but it is the moral courage in non-combat situations that truly defines the leader.

There are a limited number of occupations where it is necessary to show physical courage. Policemen and firemen immediately come to mind, but moral courage is necessary in almost all career endeavors. Doing what is right is key. Too frequently we hear about an individual who did not live up to a standard and then responded that he broke no law. All too frequently that individual violated a trust and although what he did may not have broken a law, it was morally wrong.

Again, I hearken back to my time in the corps. With very few exceptions, when a fellow officer told me something or said that he would do something, it was gold. That is what we expect from those whom we elect to high office. I want my leader to say directly what he will do and not parse words.

I know that there will be times when for security he will not be able to give me all the data, but when the emergency is over, I want all the data. I also want my leader to have a background in leadership where he had to be responsible for the decisions that he made.

We are facing a decision in the next few weeks. Looking good or sounding good does not make a leader. Being good makes a leader.

Donald J. Myers, a retired colonel in the U.S. Marine Corps, is a regular columnist for Hernando Today. He lives in Spring Hill and can be contacted at dmyersusmc@aol.com.

Ellie