PDA

View Full Version : G.I. Joes take on Packers pros, 'Madden' style

thedrifter
10-18-08, 08:25 AM
October 18, 2008
G.I. Joes take on Packers pros, 'Madden' style

BY PATTI ZARLING
pzarling@greenbaypressgazette.com

Green Bay area native and Marine Cpl. Timothy Headricks, a lifelong Packers fan, will have a story to tell for a long time.

On Friday, he defeated his football hero, Packers offensive tackle Mark Tauscher, in a close game of "Madden '09," from thousands of miles away.

The two competed as part of Pro vs. Joe, a nonprofit program that links professional sports players with soldiers and Marines serving overseas in video-game competitions connected via Webcam. The Packers competed from the Lambeau Field Atrium, while friends and family of participating service men — and one woman — looked on.

Headricks, stationed in Iraq, chose the Packers as his team and Tauscher selected the Indianapolis Colts, who play in Green Bay on Sunday.

If the video-game faceoff is any indication, Sunday’s match will be a low-scoring affair. The Madden matchup remained scoreless before the digital Packers scored a touchdown in overtime, to the cheers of Headrick’s family.

“I think this is something we’ll be hearing about for a long time,” said Hope Headricks, Tim’s sister. Tim asked to be paired with Tausher. “He’s always admired Tauscher because he’s a Wisconsin boy and still plays here.” Tauscher was born in Marshfield and played for the University of Wisconsin.

Rachel Fitzgerald, his older sister, said Friday’s event was a great opportunity.

“He’s always enjoyed video games, and to get to play against Tauscher, that’s awesome.”

In Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, Staff Sgt. James Wagner, of De Pere, and his National Guard unit played against linemen Mike Montgomery and Tony Moll in two sessions of “Halo 3.” The soldiers won the first round, but lost the second.

“I got slaughtered,” confessed Wagner. “I thought my video game skills were better, but we made it credible. The kids took care of business. Those Packers players must have a lot of time on their hands.”

His wife, Amy, brought their two young sons and mother to watch.

“My husband is an avid video player,” she said. She talks to him just about every day and uses a Web cam.

“He was in Afghanistan five years ago and we didn’t have that, and it was a lot harder,” Amy said. “What they’ve done here is just wonderful.”

Addie Zinone founded the program with her husband, Greg.

Addie has done two tours in Iraq and knew soldiers play video games in their down time. So they decided to support the troops by connecting them to their sport heroes through video games. They got things up and running in July.

It’s open to all pro sports, but since its football season, it’s the most popular now, Addie said.

“This is a really fun way for teams to show their support,” she said.

They try to pair soldiers and Marines with pro teams in their hometowns, she said.

And while the soldiers and Marines enjoy the competitions, she said the chance to chat with friends and family afterward through a webcam is even more special.

“We’ve had times when people have seen their new babies for the first time,” Addie said.

In Headricks’ case, he saw his nephew, Landon, born June 24, for the first time.

Ellie

thedrifter
10-18-08, 08:30 AM
October 18, 2008

Long-distance challenge from Lambeau leaves soldiers smiling

Vaughn R. Larson
Special to the Press-Gazette

GUANTANAMO BAY, Cuba — Army Spc. Liam Walsh challenged two hulking members of the Green Bay Packers to a roaming firefight and lived to tell the tale.

Well, “virtually challenged” is closer to reality.

“I was schooling them,” boasted Walsh. “I was the leader on our team. It was fun.”

Walsh, the administrative clerk with the 112th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment of the Wisconsin Army National Guard, got the opportunity to take on professional athletes in a virtual contest through the nonprofit organization Pro vs. GI Joe, based in Fairfax, Va. Pro vs. GI Joe pairs U.S. service members with athletes from hometown professional sports teams for an hour or two of online gaming. On this day, Wisconsin Marines serving in Iraq and Kuwait and Wisconsin soldiers serving in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, played “Halo 3” and “Madden NFL ‘09” against Jason Hunter, Mark Tauscher, Tony Moll and Brandon Chillar of the Green Bay Packers.

Walsh, from Madison, along with unit members Pfc. Eric Liesse, Spc. Cody Black, Spc. Meghan Phillips, and Staff Sgt. James Wagner, gamed against Mike Montgomery, defensive tackle, and Tony Moll, offensive guard, for the Packers in two sessions of “Halo 3.” The soldiers won the first round, but lost the second.

“I don’t even play this game,” boasted Moll after the victory.

“I got slaughtered,” confessed Wagner, a De Pere resident. “I thought my video game skills were better, but we made it credible. The kids took care of business. Those Packers players must have a lot of time on their hands.”

Phillips, from Milwaukee, was the first female soldier to participate in Pro vs. GI Joe. The unit’s top enlisted soldier, 1st Sgt. James Venske, dubbed her “GI Jane.”

“I lost badly,” she said. “But it was fun. It was really cool to see we have the support of so many people – not only our families, but professional athletes.”

“I couldn’t stop smiling,” said Black, a Montello resident. “Knowing that [Packers players] took time to spend with us, and that we could coordinate to get our families up there (to the Lambeau Field Atrium) and talk.”

Pro vs. GI Joe, created by Greg and Addie Zinone, held its first simulation at the United Service Organizations Celebrity Golf Tournament in August 2007. Their first official competition took place this July 3, pitting Indy Racing League drivers against National Guard and 10th Mountain Division soldiers at Camp Virginia, Kuwait.

Addie Zinone, a staff sergeant in the Army Reserve 222nd Broadcast Operations Detachment based in Bell, Calif., said her husband dreamed up Pro vs. GI Joe as a way to give back to service members.

“He believes that those who don’t wear the uniform have a responsibility to support those who do,” she explained in an e-mail interview. A veteran of two deployments herself, Addie said she does not represent Pro vs. GI Joe while in uniform. However, when not on duty she uses her deployment experience to promote the organization to the various military branches.

“Pro vs. GI Joe is my way of giving back to those in uniform when I am not,” she said.

Normally service members participate in USO tents, but no such facility exists at U.S. Naval Station Guantanamo, where the 112th is deployed in support of Joint Task Force Guantanamo and Operation Enduring Freedom. An alternative location – the media room normally used by civilian media when on island to cover military war crime trials – allowed for adequate Internet connection and wide-screen viewing.

The setting seemed to work just fine.

“It was really, really cool,” said Liesse, a Stoughton resident. “I was a big fan of the webcam.”

After the games, soldiers were able to speak with family members who traveled to the Lambeau Field Atrium, where the event was held.

“It was an experience seeing everyone in the background,” Phillips said. “I felt a little more at home.”

The 112th is just over halfway through its yearlong deployment.

Ellie