PDA

View Full Version : Pull-up Help

1Marine4Life
10-17-08, 11:52 PM
I know I'm not the only one who has ever experienced this but I'm asking for suggestions. I have been doing the Armstrong pullup program for several weeks now, including the max sets of pushups in the morning. Problem is, I still get stuck around 12 or 13. I admit I started out doing around 4 so I've gained a lot. I just cant seem to get past 13. Any suggestions or other programs?

Pete0331
10-18-08, 12:05 AM
I know I'm not the only one who has ever experienced this but I'm asking for suggestions. I have been doing the Armstrong pullup program for several weeks now, including the max sets of pushups in the morning. Problem is, I still get stuck around 12 or 13. I admit I started out doing around 4 so I've gained a lot. I just cant seem to get past 13. Any suggestions or other programs?

There are other programs on here.
The Search function you must use young Padawan.

When I couldn't get above 15 I started doing weighted pull ups.
4 weeks later I was around 18 pull-ups on the PFT.

SGT7477
10-18-08, 07:57 AM
Hit the gym and keep going up in weight.

RedmanEcho5
10-18-08, 01:08 PM
You may have hit a plateau, no problem. Everyone may say to keep working harder but if you already have been doing that then perhaps the opposite may be the solution. Taking time off from those particular areas to give the muscle fibers optimal rest can help you get back in track. We don't go from one hard field training exercise to another back to back, usually we would get a few days break. As this pertains to the workout, hit the other areas that may need help like the lower body then when you go back to hit those pullups again you'll be able to reach much higher than your target limit. If you still don't get results then you may have exhausted that particular routine. It just means you are getting better and your body needs a different (much harder) stimulus. Sticking with this theme I would usually change to a powerlifting goal in order give the muscles a change in how it lifts weights, more power means more reps....or maybe endurance training, more endurance more reps.
Hope this helps and good luck!!

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-18-08, 01:56 PM
Just change it up. Do Recon Ron or one of the myriad other programs out there. Your body has adapted and just needs to be shocked back into making gains.

Quinbo
10-18-08, 05:08 PM
Get a buddy... bend your legs. If you have someone hold your ankles and you straighten your legs as you do a pull up you will hit 20 everytime. Blah blah blah I know. Do as many as you can before your helper steps in and finish it out to at least 20. Helping him knock out 20 is also a workout for you. Do a couple sets.