PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Bah & Bas

DobbinsBlythe
10-17-08, 02:43 PM
I read in the Marine Corps Times that BAS is going up 6%.. which puts it at about 310 for us enlisted families...

I haven't seen anything on BAH, yet. Has anyone heard about 2009 BAH? I know the new pay rates are posted nearly everywhere.

Thank God for pay raises <3

Please link to charts if you find any for BAH.

DobbinsBlythe
10-20-08, 11:09 AM
Hmm, I guess they're not out yet. Three days and nothin.

GB

SupChf
10-20-08, 04:02 PM
I haven't seen anything either. Just tried the DFAS and Pentagon web site to no avail either.....not good....LOL

Please post if you see something and I'll do the same.

Gunz out ~

DobbinsBlythe
10-21-08, 07:09 AM
Usually the news articles get sent straight to my inbox from the .gov sites, but I haven't seen any of the BAH stuff. I know BAS and pay is going up.. I've found those charts:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/fy2009paycharts/a/bpayenlless.htm
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/fy2009paycharts/a/bpayenlmore.htm

And I'm aware it says "proposed" but the president has signed it into effect as of Jan 1, 2009.

And BAS is already said 6% from 294 for enlisted. You can do that math.. comes out to around 310/month.

DobbinsBlythe
10-28-08, 11:30 AM
UPDATE!

BAH for 2009 STILL isn't posted anywhere yet.

Does anyone know when they will be??

SupChf
10-28-08, 01:12 PM
I've heard mid-Dec.

Ed Palmer
10-31-08, 04:14 PM
COLA 2009 UPDATE 05: The 2009 cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) for military retired pay will be the highest seen in over 15 years at 5.8%. The increase, which goes into effect on 1 DEC 08, also applies to SBP annuities, Social Security checks, and VA disability and survivor benefits. Retirees will see the increase in their JAN 09 checks. The annual Cost-of-Living-Adjustment is not in any way related to the annual military pay raise for active duty and reserve servicemembers which this year was 3.9%. All retirees who retired before 1 JAN 08 will receive the 5.8% Cost-of-Living-Adjustment. Retirees who first became members of the uniformed services on or after 1 AUG 86 and elected to receive a Career Status Bonus at 15 years, and retired on or before 1 JASN 08, will receive an increase of only 4.8%. Retirees who first became a member of the uniformed services on or after Sept. 8, 1980, and retired in 2008 will receive a Partial COLA on a prorated basis as follows:
o Jan. 1, 2008, and March 31, 2008, will receive 5.0%
o April 1 - June 30, 2008 will receive 3.8%
o July 1 - Sept. 30, 2008 will receive 1.2%
o Those who retired after Oct. 1, 2008, will see no COLA this year.

This is the third year in the last four that the retiree COLA has been higher than the pay raise for currently serving troops. The two are never the same because they are based on different things and have different purposes. Military pay raises are based on private sector pay growth, as measured by the Bureau of Labor Statistics' Employment Cost Index (ECI). Their intent is to ensure military pay is kept reasonably comparable to private sector pay, to allow the services to compete successfully for manpower over time. Retired pay COLAs, on the other hand, are cost-of-living adjustments that track to inflation, as measured by the Consumer Price Index (CPI). Their purpose is to ensure that whatever purchasing power a member's retired pay represented on the date he or she left service isn't eroded by inflation over time. Over time, the two tend to even out. During the 1970s, COLAs were higher in 5 years and pay raises won out for the other five. In the '80s, pay raises beat COLAs (6 - 4); in the '90s, it was 50-50 split (5 - 5). The first half of this decade, pay raises were higher, but with COLAs higher for three of the last 4 years, the pendulum seems to be swinging the other way again. [Source: MOAA Leg Up 17 Oct & Military Report 20 Oct 08 ++]

SSA COLA 2009 UPDATE 01: Social Security Announces 5.8 Percent Benefit Increase for 2009 Monthly Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefits for more than 55 million Americans will increase 5.8% in 2009, the Social Security Administration announced. The 5.8 percent increase is the largest since 1982. Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefits increase automatically each year based on the rise in the Bureau of Labor Statistics' Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W), from the third quarter of the prior year to the corresponding period of the current year. This year's increase in the CPI-W was 5.8%. The Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA) will begin with benefits that over 50 million Social Security beneficiaries receive in JAN 09. Increased payments to more than 7 million Supplemental Security Income beneficiaries will begin on 31 DEC. Some other changes that take effect in January of each year are based on the increase in average wages. Based on that increase, the maximum amount of earnings subject to the Social Security tax (taxable maximum) will increase to $106,800 from $102,000. Of the estimated 164 million workers who will pay Social Security taxes in 2009, about 11 million will pay higher taxes as a result of the increase in the taxable maximum. Information about Medicare changes for 2009 can be found at www.medicare.gov. [Source: SSDA Press Release 16 Oct 08 ++]

Coastie45
12-03-08, 10:52 AM
2009 BAH rates will be available in 3rd week of December, 2008.

DobbinsBlythe
12-16-08, 07:05 PM
They're up!!!!!!!!!! :D

rmgrunt
01-07-09, 06:34 AM
I haven't seen anything either. Just tried the DFAS and Pentagon web site to no avail either.....not good....LOL

Please post if you see something and I'll do the same.

Gunz out ~
How did you put you ribbons and badges on you rsignature?

GySgt RGM:evilgrin:

BR34
01-07-09, 12:18 PM
BAS is now 323 for enlisted. BAH depends on your zip code and can be googled. My BAH went up 110 bucks a month. But I've seen some people's BAH go down a bit.

DobbinsBlythe
01-10-09, 08:47 PM
Luckily if they already live there, their BAH won't actually go down. :D Only new people who didn't receive the higher BAH.