PDA

View Full Version : Getting out soon

afelle27
10-17-08, 10:38 AM
My EAS is this January, and I still haven't found a suitable job I would like to transition into. I'm an Admin Clerk by trade, but I'm also a machine-gunner as a secondary MOS. I don't know how much that will help my employment chances, but I'm putting anything/everything on my resume. I know it's really last minute, but I need whatever help I can get. Any ideas?

2ndCEBSupply
10-17-08, 10:54 AM
You were admin and you were a machine gunner Hmm

Maybe you should work at the post office

Just dont put on your resume that your a machine gunner you dont want them to think your going to go postal.

You have a 90 day window for quick employment with them if you miss that then theres a year or longer wait.

Pay is $17 to $24 dollars an hour

OB MSG
10-17-08, 10:55 AM
Before you get out you will go through a TAP course. This will help you write a resume, have you meet with potential employers and basically give you a ton of info to help to move smoothly into the Civ Div.

Question though, do you have a degree or do you plan to go to college/trade school?

2ndCEBSupply
10-17-08, 11:13 AM
Question though, do you have a degree or do you plan to go to college/trade school?

Hes on the right track!

Ive been in and out of school since i got back, now im in till i finish now.

The new GI Bill is going to be your best friend.

Pete0331
10-17-08, 11:21 AM
My EAS is this January, and I still haven't found a suitable job I would like to transition into. I'm an Admin Clerk by trade, but I'm also a machine-gunner as a secondary MOS. I don't know how much that will help my employment chances, but I'm putting anything/everything on my resume. I know it's really last minute, but I need whatever help I can get. Any ideas?

Everything you have questions about will be answered at the TAP classes.

2ndCEBSupply
10-17-08, 11:28 AM
Yeah thats true TAPS will give you everything u need to knnow.

Keep this in mind "its important info"

Take a pen and a notebook, dont think about skating there only going to give you this info once.

KawiGunny
10-17-08, 01:00 PM
If you haven't done so already, go to the Marine 4 Life web site and sign up. The Hometown Link, for the area you are going to once you walk out the door, will have some helpful info for you also. My wife does that and she provides a lot of Marines with some good info on schools and jobs. They also have buisness that post job oppertunities on the site also.

thewookie
10-17-08, 01:04 PM
1. I agree with everyone else about paying attention at TAPS - it's boring and some of it is self explanatory to Marines, but you will learn some important things. Keep every piece of paper they give...

Apache
10-17-08, 02:56 PM
Best of all to you Marine.
First consideration-consider carefully your options grasshopper-maybe ETS is not the best answer ?
Go through the schooling provided.
Network Network Network.
Where is your H.O.R. ? Maybe I can suggest a company