PDA

View Full Version : 3rd ID Soldiers Honored at Warrior's Walk

thedrifter
10-17-08, 04:23 AM
3rd ID Soldiers Honored at Warrior's Walk

Thursday, Oct 16, 2008 - 04:36 PM Updated: 10:46 PM

By Alice Massimi

Three more trees were planted at Fort Stewart's Warriors Walk today.
Two of the three belonging to the men the Army says were killed by a fellow soldier, Staff Sgt Darris Dawson and Sgt Wesley Durbin.

The third soldier recognized today, Sgt Ronald Phillips was killed by an IED.
News Threes Alice Massimi was at today’s ceremony and has more on the lives lost.

There are now 417 trees at warrior's walk on Fort Stewart.
Each one a living symbol of a Third Infantry Division Soldiers’ life lost in the Global War on Terror.

This month three were added, three men who served their country side by side.

Staff Sergeant Ronald Phillips.

Killed by an IED he leaves behind a wife and two young children.

Sergeant Wesley Durbin, nicknamed Gunny because he also served in the Marines, his wife says he loved his country.

“I'm still very, very hurt and no I haven't accepted that my husband is not coming home,” says Brandi Durbin the Widow of SGT Durbin.

The youngest of the three, Staff SGT Darris Dawson. His family remembers him as an amazing individual who loved life.

“He will always be in our heart and never forgotten because he was one you couldn't forget”, explains his step-mom Maxine Mathis.

In addition to the loss of their loved ones weighing heavily on their hearts, so to do the circumstances of Dawson and Durbin's death.

The Army says the two were murdered by a fellow soldier.

“I just think something happened at that point and he snapped but he just took so much away from us,” says Mathis.

“We want justice to be done for our son and we know that the army wants justice to be done for our son because the ultimate act of betrayal was done to not only our son but the Army,” says Carole Durbin, SGT Durbin’s mother.

But for now the families say they're focused on grieving.

Video

http://www.wsav.com/midatlantic/sav/news.apx.-content-articles-SAV-2008-10-16-0031.html

Ellie