PDA

View Full Version : Ribbons elegible after two to three years of service?

Hussar
10-16-08, 11:21 PM
Hello everyone,

I came here with a question. I know that other branches are much more ribboned up. And this is why I am here. I was at Great Lakes Naval base purchasing uniforms as I am a Sea Cadet and I noticed that some of these guys that were relatively low ranks like Petty Officer 3rd class wearing a whole lot of ribbons. And many didn't even have a hash mark. There are the two givens in the modern military, the National Defense Service and Global War on Terror Service medal, but what are some other awards an average Marine usually earns in about about three years of service? Not counting deployments and the like, just assuming they were an average Marines stationed stateside. Thank you for the help in advance.

FLRULZURSHPSCKS
10-16-08, 11:57 PM
The only other one a Marine will earn with 3 years in and no deployments or anything is the good cookie (Good Conduct Medal) as long as they stay out of trouble and have no NJP's and whatnot.

Diep
10-17-08, 01:17 AM
You could also recieve the NUC (Navy unit accomodation) for doing RA from certain dates

Another one is the community service one where you have to have 100+ hours of community service

thats all that comes to mind right now..I know I had serveral others in mind but then I started typing and got side tracked. You know us marines easily amused. :)

brian21johansen
10-17-08, 02:16 AM
The navy doesn't wear shooting badges like us Marines either. Instead they wear their weapons qualification badge as a ribbon. If they are qualified with a pistol then they wear a separate ribbon for that as well. Those two extra ribbons make it seem like they've been places and done things.....you could come out of navy boot camp and their "MOS" school with 4 "Given" ribbons.

Diep
10-17-08, 02:31 AM
The navy doesn't wear shooting badges like us Marines either. Instead they wear their weapons qualification badge as a ribbon. If they are qualified with a pistol then they wear a separate ribbon for that as well. Those two extra ribbons make it seem like they've been places and done things.....you could come out of navy boot camp and their "MOS" school with 4 "Given" ribbons.

Devil Dog. He's in the navy of course he would know this information.

brian21johansen
10-17-08, 02:47 AM
Devil Dog. He's in the navy of course he would know this information.

Good to go Corporal......I was mainly throwing that information out there just so everybody looking at this thread would know that the Navy wears there weapons qualification as a ribbon. Hussar is in the Sea Cadets....I assumed that he knew that information because of his ties with the Navy but like they say: "Assumption is the mother of all f**k ups"

Diep
10-17-08, 02:52 AM
Good to go Corporal......I was mainly throwing that information out there just so everybody looking at this thread would know that the Navy wears there weapons qualification as a ribbon. Hussar is in the Sea Cadets....I assumed that he knew that information because of his ties with the Navy but like they say: "Assumption is the mother of all f**k ups"

You are definetly correct PFC Brian. Stay motivated!

Diep
10-17-08, 02:54 AM

You are definetly correct PFC Brian. Stay motivated! :thumbup:

Hussar
10-17-08, 06:00 PM
Thank you very much for the help PFC Brian and CPL Diep. Yes, I knew that the Navy wears weapons qualifications as ribbons but these guys were wearing additional ones that were not the 4 givens and some were fresh out of A and C school. I guess I'll study up on my ribbons and try to take pictures next time. Thank you for the help.