PDA

View Full Version : 03xx question

AaronJM1984
10-16-08, 10:38 PM
So my MOS is 03xx. After telling my Uncle (former 03 Marine), he tried talking me out of it. His point was that I'll have a tough time making a career out of the Marine Corps. if I go in as an 03xx. According to him the reason there are always so many Infantry spots open is because 03xx's basically get burned out and want out after their 4 years is up. Also his opinion is that I won't be able to do a lateral move, or even be able to switch my MOS come re-enlistment time. I have my mind made up, I was just hoping to hear some other opinions.

Summary: Is it likely I can be 03xx for my first enlistment then switch MOS's to finish out my time?

Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

yellowwing
10-16-08, 11:00 PM
I was a super pogue and we had a Infantry Gunny Lat Move to our shop. With so much action going on, I don't see why an 03 can't easily make two - three enlistments or more.

My Drill Instructor was 03 and Lat Moved as a SSgt with no problem. 25 years later I still want to call him Sir! :D

AaronJM1984
10-16-08, 11:04 PM
Thank you sir, I think my Uncle is just fearful that I will get hurt/killed in combat so he is trying to sway my decision. I've always assumed that as long as you bust your @$$ in the Marine Corps. you will have opportunities.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-16-08, 11:05 PM
No offense, but it appears your uncle doesn't know what he is talking about. Infantry is one of the fields that people have the most difficult time getting into. Usually in June or July we start seeing posts from people asking if it is true that infantry is closed.

In reality, most Marines will get out after one enlistment. It has to work that way. The backbone of the Marine Corps are the LCpls. You only need so many NCOs to lead, the bulk of Marines will always be the lower enlisted ranks. It isn't just the infantry, it is every MOS. In fact, I went over two years before I saw a first term Marine reenlist in my unit. Just how things work.

AaronJM1984
10-16-08, 11:12 PM
Thank you for your post sir. I agree, what my Uncle said seems incorrect. He has been out of the Marine Corps. for 17 years, but I doubt that much has changed. Like I said, I think he was just trying to make 03xx sound undesireable to me.

yellowwing
10-16-08, 11:16 PM
Maybe he's just testing your Heart? ;)

Pete0331
10-16-08, 11:19 PM
Thank you sir, I think my Uncle is just fearful that I will get hurt/killed in combat so he is trying to sway my decision.

Marines, of all types, make war.
Some do so with more frequency then others.

WKranz
10-26-08, 04:17 AM
MAybe im jumping in late on this, but im in ITB right now, and all the Grunts teaching us love our jobs and are defeinetly career infantry from the company first sgt. down to our newest instructor. it is completely what YOU make of it.

Achped
10-27-08, 04:27 AM
[quote=Echo_Four_Bravo;400353]
In reality, most Marines will get out after one enlistment. It has to work that way. The backbone of the Marine Corps are the LCpls. /quote]

Quoted for truth. We had a CWO putting his rifle together (optics, laser, etc) and he yelled to the battery "Where's the lance corporal that knows how to put this together?"

Lance coolies don't run the Corps but they know how to!

KawiGunny
10-27-08, 10:09 AM
Your uncle may have good intentions but he is a little behind the times. I served 20+ years in the infantry and I have seen a lot of Marines lat move out of the grunts into easier jobs. Lat moves are possible for just about every MOS. Especially after your first enlistment. Don't wait to long because they will look at it as having to much time invested in you to allow you to move on to another MOS.

Rev3ngE
10-27-08, 10:13 AM
I also will be leaving the same day as aaron with the MOS 03XX. I choose this field because once I get out the Marine Corps I plan on going into law enforcement with a degree in criminal justice thanks to that GI Bill. Also i believe it helps your chances of getting on the swat team or something similiar going in the Marines as infantry.

Garrett90
10-27-08, 11:17 AM
I was told it doesn't matter if your Admin. or Infantry, the word "Marines" is spelled the same way on your application when applying for a law enforcement job, or any job for that matter. Its once you actually get the job that your on-the-job skills can help if you were infantry. I am contracted for 03xx and I plan on getting into law enforcement when all is said and done with too, so that is just what I have been lead to believe.

Achped
10-27-08, 12:17 PM
To civilians, every Marine is recon.

Reason #65 on why to love your Corps.

OORAH!

carpe noctum
10-27-08, 03:14 PM
ololol, I signed on to be an MP and then do law enforcement.

Scottie0417
10-28-08, 12:45 AM
I agree with Echo Four Bravo...03 was the toughest job to get when I enlisted. I know a lot of Marines that were deadset on being 03s so they went Reserves because that was the only way they could get guaranteed 03.

Enigmatic
10-28-08, 09:56 AM
ololol, I signed on to be an MP and then do law enforcement.

I've heard that can backfire on you. Civilian Law Enforcement agencies kind of frown on MPs (of any branch) because you're used to doing things a certain way and you have to un-learn as much as learn everything. I could be wrong though.

AaronJM1984
10-28-08, 11:35 AM
I've heard that can backfire on you. Civilian Law Enforcement agencies kind of frown on MPs (of any branch) because you're used to doing things a certain way and you have to un-learn as much as learn everything. I could be wrong though.

I've heard this atleast 1000 times. Makes sense.

arjones0351
10-28-08, 03:50 PM
My Mom told me in High School not to join the Marines, but if I did then not to do the Infantry. So I joined the Marine Corps Infantry. Not to spite her but because I knew I was bred for it. She did all she could to talk me out of it and to change my mind but I knew it was what I wanted and what I needed to do. Your Uncle may be doing the same. You have to do what you believe is the right thing to do. Any Marine can make the Corps a career no matter your MOS. It matters on the Marine.

AaronJM1984
10-28-08, 04:05 PM
My Uncle has changed his tune. He's done a complete 180. I've made it clear what it means to me to be an Infantryman in the Marine Corps. Now he's excited for me. We went out for beers the other night and he started saying how we were going to be Infantry brothers. Deep down I think he wanted me to follow in his foot steps, but there wasn't necessarily a war while he was in. Probably just concerned for my wellbeing.