PDA

View Full Version : What good did I do?

sparkie
10-16-08, 09:15 PM
Today on the streets of Vegas,,, I saw a full size pit run over by a low strung car. I saw the hit, and legs flung under the engine block, and finally squirted out the back. His head was under the rear right tire but got pushed out before crushed,,,, I told my driver to drive cause he had issues with that scene. Now I long to have stopped, and held that dog.
I feel less of a Marine,,,,,,,,,, Another regret,,,,,,,,,

sfdsmokeeater
10-16-08, 09:31 PM
You made a command decision that kept you alive and safe; you shouldn't feel less of a Marine.

1) you stayed safe in the car and did not get hurt by
a) another driver looking at you and not paying attention and causing another wreck or injury to you or someone else (@!@# gaulkers).
b) wounded dogs, cats, and other furry woodland creatures may be dangerous to approach when injured and unlike humans who have verbal way to say it hurts and tell people to stay back, the dog may have bitten you and done some serious damage (this happened to my sis-in-law with a golden retriever... 40+ stitches to the face).
c) For a piece of mind, I say donate to your local animal shelter or Humane Society. They always are looking for funds to aid in their care and home placement.

As a firefighter the highway accident scene is one the most dangerous. When I am off duty, I have rarely stopped and gotten out of a car if I see an accident between two cars. I will examine the scene from my car, call 911 then wait for EMS, Police and fire to arrive. Even when on duty, I have had some near misses due to drivers speeding through emergency scenes on the road with plenty of red and blue lights flashing everywhere!!! Good choice to stay in the car in my opinion.

Dan

sparkie
10-16-08, 09:46 PM
I defer to your wisdom, and experience, But I tire of death. Seen 2 bodies on my way home, out on the 160 in the last 2 weeks,,,,,,,I long to stop it.

By the way,,,, Welcome Aboard,,, Marine.

Wyoming
10-16-08, 09:52 PM
All good advice.

BTW, welcome and stick around.

yellowwing
10-16-08, 10:26 PM
Thanks for stepping in Dan. Welcome Aboard!

sfdsmokeeater
10-16-08, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the welcome and I am glad to be aboard.

DM

yellowwing
10-16-08, 11:10 PM
Smoke Eater? You mean you put tobasco on that and chow down asking for more? :D

sfdsmokeeater
10-17-08, 05:22 PM
I remember fighting over them small vials in the MREs! You had to have something to take the taste off of your tongue, especially the eggs! LOL

SlingerDun
10-17-08, 05:53 PM
wounded dogs, cats, and other furry woodland creatures may be dangerous to approach when injuredThere ya go Spark that works for me and yes! i been corked by injured creatures....youch!http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

--->Dave

FistFu68
10-17-08, 06:57 PM
:evilgrin: At least You give a Chit,Sgt.S.That speaks Highly of Your Character Marine :evilgrin: :iwo:

sparkie
10-17-08, 07:41 PM
Givin a shet and Duin sumpthin,,,,,,,Miles apart,,,,,,,,,

FistFu68
10-17-08, 08:52 PM
:evilgrin: Well Sgt.S. I got a AzzHole up tha' Street that lets his 3 Pits Run Wild.Terrorizing my Neighborhood,I'll Run Over The MuthaF***ers;You can Come & Give them Mouth 2 Mouth.Then You'll feel much better Marine???:evilgrin: :iwo:

sparkie
10-18-08, 07:25 AM
I have no problem with poppin a bad animal,,,and I have done a few mercy killings,,,I ain't with PETA. I guess it just bothered me 'cause seeing a dead animal on the street, and watching the process is two different things.

Fist,,,,,Howbout I give you Mouth to Mouth,,,Rat Bastad,,,,,

[oh, crap,,,we're at it again,,,,]

Robert Browell
10-18-08, 09:14 AM
Sparkie,my Brother,most all the advice that's been given is purty darned good!! I'm all for an end to senseless killin'! Any animal even people! Unfortunately death is a part of life! I hunt,and would gladly kill anything that was a threat to me or mine! I think the fact that you felt bad,speaks volumes for your character!Anyone who can witness violent death, without emotion is not welcome in my fightin' hole,or my neighborhood! :mad: Semper Fi Brother!

FistFu68
10-18-08, 09:45 AM
:evilgrin: With all Due Respect Sgt.Of Marines,If I want any Mouth From You;I'll Scrape it off My Zipper Maggot.Chit Happens,Suc it up;git over it.You still love Me SweetPea,Huh,Huh,Huh?Have a nice day Marine,gotta Go & Throw 3Pitbulls on my Barbie "Q".I feel Your Pain My Brutha,Have a nice Day;Sempers Respectfully Mr.Nice Guy :marine: :iwo:

Marine84
10-18-08, 09:56 AM
Givin a shet and Duin sumpthin,,,,,,,Miles apart,,,,,,,,,

There are just some things we have no control over my Brother. I know how you feel though - hell, I hit a possum one time and cried about it.

Zulu 36
10-18-08, 01:19 PM
Sparkie,

M84 has this one right. Control what you can, but I guess you aren't as hard-hearted as some of the boots here-about think you are. :thumbup:

I've busted caps on a bunch of severely injured animals over my police career (in fact, I used to teach that block of instruction at the police academy), but no animal is worth getting smacked by another car trying to help.

Not to mention sdfsmokeeater's comment about injured animals attacking. I've had that happen a couple of times too, luckily without injury to me.

I will usually stop to help injured people, the ex-cop and paramedic in me won't allow me not to. But my safety and that of my family is paramount. Sometimes being a professional witness is the better choice.

BTW, Kim, roadkill is a prime source of fresh meat in the area where I live (just kidding, but not by much).

madsox
10-18-08, 06:28 PM
Hey, Sparkie - just another nobody throwing you a thumbs-up. You cared, you wanted to stop, but I think you made the right choice in moving on. One of our LEO bros mentioned that it's better to not add to the traffic problems, alla that. I'm no PETA nut, I think most animals are pretty tasty. But I feel for ya, bro.

Maybe it was "just a dog" but it was still a life that didn't need to end just then. Repeating somebody else, the fact that you give enough of a sh*t to feel bad about not stopping to try to help says that you're still a good Marine.

Ah, enough chatter. We're with you.

Semper Fi, man. Semper MFin Fi!

montana
10-18-08, 10:55 PM
like they say here on the rez when a dog get hit by a car....dog gon