PDA

View Full Version : Marine called to 2nd tour

thedrifter
10-16-08, 03:35 PM
Marine called to 2nd tour
By Jeff Lipton October 16, 2008

Jason Carbone of Oceanside is affectionately known as "Grandpa" to his fellow Marines.

At age 31, Carbone, who is a lance corporal in the U.S. Marine Corps, is in the midst of his second tour of duty in Iraq. "He's the oldest one in his group, so they call him Grandpa," said his mother, Debra Levine.

Carbone started out older than most members of the Armed Services, as a 27-year-old who was deeply affected by the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. He wanted to help his country, so two years after the attacks he decided that he wanted to put on a uniform and represent the Marines.

His neighbor across the street died in the attacks, which made Carbone even more committed to the cause, Levine said. "He decided he wanted a life change," said his mother, who has two other children, Nicole, 16, and Gina, 11. "When his neighbor was killed in 9/11, it really hit home."

Carbone arrived at the recruiting depot at Parris Island, S.C., on March 3, 2006, and graduated from boot camp late that May. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines in Hawaii that August, and attended an Arabic linguistics course shortly after that, according to 1st Sgt. John Murphy of the Marine Corps.

In March 2007 Carbone was deployed to Haditha, in the western Iraqi province of Al Anbar, for his first tour during an eight-month cycle before returning home.

On Aug. 5, 2008, he was deployed to Karmah, Iraq, just beyond the outskirts of Fallujah, where he is currently serving as an infantry fire team leader with 2nd Platoon Alpha Company, according to Murphy. "He just called me," Levine said recently of her son. "He's fine, and he told me not to worry."

That seems easier said than done for Levine, who has become something of a military Web site junkie, surfing the Internet for the latest news in Iraq. "I'm very proud of him, but I live scared," she said, adding that she listens to all the military news reports online, which helps her cope and has become therapeutic for her.

She said that her son, who was promoted from private 1st class to lance corporal in January, tries to call her twice a month to keep her up to date on what he's doing and to reassure her that he will be fine.

Jason and his wife, Kathy, a native of Deer Park whom he met at a party 11 years ago, have been married for two years. Kathy now lives near his home base in Hawaii, and gets to see him when his eighth-month tour is completed.

"This is very hard for her," Levine said of her daughter-in-law.

Levine said she has sent many packages to Carbone and his fellow Marines, the most recent being flea collars. "They have been inundated with fleas and have been sleeping with flea powder," explained Levine, who lived in Island Park from 1985 to 1990.

She said she includes school supplies in each care package so that her son can distribute them to Iraqi children. "Each time school is opening up, I make sure to include school supplies for the kids," she said. "If you don't educate the kids, they'll grow up like their parents."

Levine said her son also distributes toys and candy to children to try to gain their trust. It has been a rough go in Karmah, she said, where the children are "standoffish" and less trusting. But if anyone can earn their trust, she said, it's her son, whom she described as "brave and just a great all-around person."

Carbone attended Oceanside High School, and graduated after receiving his General Equivalency Diploma. He then went to work in his family's carting business before he decided to join the military, following in the footsteps of his grandfather and uncle, who both served in the Marine Corps. "My brother always told him, 'Don't let your guard down,'" said Levine.

Although her son is not a fan of warfare, she said, "He believes in what he is fighting for. And for the most part, [Americans] do support the troops. His morale is very good. When I spoke to him last, he sounded
very upbeat."

Levine said Jason will be serving his country for the foreseeable future. "My son definitely wants to make a career of it," she said. "He wants to keep going up in rank. He absolutely loves it [in the Marines]. He absolutely loves what he's doing and what it stands for."

Comments about this story? JLipton@liherald.com or (516) 569-4000 ext. 206.

Ellie