PDA

View Full Version : Veteran: 'It was about the camaraderie'

thedrifter
10-16-08, 07:12 AM
Veteran: 'It was about the camaraderie' (with PHOTOS, VIDEO)

Veterans tour war memorials in Washington D.C.
October 15, 2008 - 10:54PM
Mona Moore
Daily News

Bob Carlson glanced around the Pensacola Airport lobby as 100 of his fellow veterans filed in for an honor flight.

"We're all friends," he said. "There are no strangers among this bunch."

Many of the World War II veterans on the one-day tour of Washington D.C. sites met during a meet and greet just days before the flight.

But there were no strangers on the flight.

Niceville pals Sallye Thaler and Marie Louise Warakomski welcomed new friend Langdon "Pinky" Lutz of Pensacola into their fold.

Crestview resident Richard Overton lingered on park benches with pals Bill Garvie and Jack Caldwell.

"This is something I never felt I'd ever see and this is something I will never forget," Thaler said before boarding the plane to D.C.

The group toured the nation's capital to see its newest addition, the World War II memorial.

Between making new friends and telling old stories, the local heroes managed to squeeze in tours of the Arlington National Cemetery, the U.S. Marines Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Wall and Korean War Memorial.

Tom Rice put his Army convoy skills to use fitting in a bus tour and several sites.

"But it wasn't about the monuments," Rice said. "It was about the camaraderie."

He noted that the schedule allowed almost as much time for a lunch with active duty soldiers as it did placing the wreath at the memorial.

"Did you notice that young girl I ate lunch with?" asked Niceville resident Jack Grandolph. "My granddaughter, Kate had lunch with me."

He said it was the highlight of his trip. The pair had not seen each other since Christmas.

Claud Davis said family made his trip to the Capital a special time.

"I think I had the most family here," said the 100-year-old Milton resident.

Davis' great-grandson, Staff Sgt. Robert Moore, met him in D.C. When asked why he came all the way from Ohio, he pointed to Davis, "That man."

Fort Walton Beach resident Bill Fagan and his son Michael once flew a combat mission together in Vietnam.

They spent Wednesday visiting the monuments together.
"We've got a million stories," said Michael. "By the grace of God, we're still here."

"This was the greatest day in my life for the past 63 years," said Ronald Peters. His son, James, flew in from Hawaii. "We're all so grateful and only wish it could be longer."

Video

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/video/index.php?bcpid=1178187186&bclid=1172088230&bctid=1859052840

Photos

http://nwfdailynews.emeraldcoastphotoswest.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=615383

Ellie