PDA

View Full Version : See you at the finish line

thedrifter
10-16-08, 06:21 AM
See you at the finish line
Man inspired by spirit of Volkslauf
by CPL. EVAN MORGAN, contributing writer | Wednesday, Oct 15 2008 10:10 PM

Last Updated: Wednesday, Oct 15 2008 10:10 PM

I have been hearing about the Volkslauf ever since I joined the Marines. I used to read about it in the Marine Corps Times, and upon moving to Bakersfield I often saw the bumper stickers around town.

This year I was given the chance to be the guest of honor by race director and former Marine Glen Pruett. Glen invited me out to say a few words and offer my encouragement to the runners. But having been competing in triathlons for some time now, I thought it would look kind of silly if I didn’t at least try to race, even though Volkslauf is unlike any triathlon out there.

I went out to the course on Saturday morning knowing full well that there would be some adaptation required for me to complete it. I was planning on running the course with a specialized running leg on one side, and an everyday walking leg on the other. (The running leg doesn’t offer a heel to stand on.)

The first muddy obstacle filled my walking prosthesis with murky brown water, causing it to slide off my leg. From that point on, any running would produce too much inertia and pull the now slimy prosthesis right off. So I had to use a combination of walking, swimming, and “butt walking” (scooting along on my hands and bottom) to complete all the obstacles and finish the race.

Nearly every person who passed me out on the course offered words of encouragement and praise, a testament to the kind of support that Bakersfield has for our veterans. I was motivated by watching the speed of some of the serious competitors out there, and inspired by the heart of those who were really challenging themselves.

I plan on competing again next year, and every year that I am up for it. So if I saw you out there Saturday, I hope to see you again next year.

Ellie