PDA

View Full Version : Which MOS gives the best grunt-like feeling?

rmreynolds
10-15-08, 10:03 PM
My dad is asking me not to take a 03xx MOS but rather ask a few Marines here that may know of a different MOS that still gives one the grunt feeling without all the hardships that come with being a 03xx. Any cool ones in particular? All shared comments are appreciated.

Ratcliff
10-15-08, 10:12 PM
I'm just a poolee, but I know 1371 combat engineers roll with the infantry.

Spears
10-15-08, 10:13 PM
My dad is asking me not to take a 03xx MOS but rather ask a few Marines here that may know of a different MOS that still gives one the grunt feeling without all the hardships that come with being a 03xx. Any cool ones in particular? All shared comments are appreciated.

This Poolee might get hazed for replying, but we'll see. a friend (currently a recruit in his third phase at MCRD SD) got security forces, he wanted a cool job that was similar to infantry and our recruiter set him up with that, something to do research on, maybe ask your recruiter, he will have better info than any of us here, at least as far as job avalability goes.

Poolee Spears

SEANstaah
10-15-08, 10:20 PM
Security Forces is infantry.

Spears
10-15-08, 10:22 PM
Security Forces is infantry.

this is why this poolee is still just a poolee, he doesnt have all the info, and doesnt pretend to, sorry about that PFC, will do research next time.

PaidinBlood
10-15-08, 10:22 PM
Who's signing the contract? You should always respect and consider the counsel of your folks, but it's your life to live and you've got to face yourself. Besides, just because your MOS doesn't start 03 doesn't make you safe. Sounds like you're playing a word game with your old man...

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-15-08, 10:41 PM
If you want to be a grunt, be a grunt. You can pick a ton of jobs that are assigned to infantry units or that do things that might remind you of the infantry from time to time. But, if they're doing things with the infantry or like the infantry, then they face the same danger, obstacles, and everything else.

If you're old enough to be a United States Marine, you're old enough to tell your dad that you're making your own decision.

SlingerDun
10-15-08, 10:46 PM
Which MOS gives the best grunt-like feeling?0300

MrRobert
10-15-08, 11:21 PM
Who's signing the contract? You should always respect and consider the counsel of your folks, but it's your life to live and you've got to face yourself. Besides, just because your MOS doesn't start 03 doesn't make you safe. Sounds like you're playing a word game with your old man...

I have to agree with PaidinBlood, that just seems like a ridiculous question. I mean no offense what so ever but it just seems bizarre to me.

If your pops has issues with the Marine Corps have your recruiter speak with him.

If you have issues about safety then maybe you should reconsider joining.

If it really is your father who has issues I was in a similar situation with my family. They didn't seem to understand why I would put myself in harms way. I originally had the MOS of avionics 63/64xx and switched it to 03xx infantry.

I tried to explain to my moms that my decision to join the USMC had to do with something much bigger then me. That I knew the risks, but I also knew the risks of what happens if I or people like me don't join. While I may be only one person, it's persons like me that formed the great people that came together to help build and protect our nation and way of life.

My moms is still nervous, but she has learned to at least live with her fears and I believe she has a great deal more respect for me and my decision.

I hope that helped a bit, I know I kind of rambled on.

Regardless good luck.

egbutler1
10-16-08, 02:39 AM
Combat engineer would be the closest i think, but nothing can give you a "grunt" feeling expect being a grunt. I also agree that this is your life respect what your pops has to say, but he is not the one that will be signing the dotted line.

Phantom Blooper
10-16-08, 03:44 AM
Explain the why behind the hardship......

From grunt to wing ALL Marines experience "the hardship".

If the definition of hardship is sleeping when you can in the sand,eating when you have a minute or two down time,watching a brother or sister leave this world or go back in pieces.........or a host of other feelings that is the hardship of being a Marine.

Some may have it a little easier "comfort wise".....but if you are regardless of MOS stationed in an arena of death you will eventually according to the CMC have your chance at some hardship feelings.

There are a bunch of MOS's that mirror being a grunt....a few mentioned here...and without ALL the MOS's the "grunt" wouldn't be able to do his job to the full extent...but to actually experience the grunt lifestyle you have to be a grunt.

I flew on many choppers, rode many tracks and trucks..... and blew a whole lot of shiat up .....but I did not experience the full effect of being in the wing,Amtracs,MT or engineers.

If you want the full experience and feeling of an MOS....YOU have to be in that MOS.

And to close..... family is important in your Marine life for support...but ultimately it is YOU that has to decide your fate or fortune!:evilgrin:

Crusader20
10-16-08, 08:34 AM
i might be showing my age,

but how about 2800 ...... Grunt with a Radio. :)

ecfree
10-16-08, 08:50 AM

I've been out a couple of years now,and they went and changed some MOS's,but I think the GRUNT is still the basic rifelman(0311) .
Go for it,get er done son..........:iwo:

Enigmatic
10-16-08, 09:26 AM
No offense, but you're 19. Grow a pair and do what YOU want to do.

Fubar5812
10-16-08, 10:09 AM
(god i'll pay for this lol)

Field MP.

NOT GARRISON(thats the dickheads with the badges),field MP's are the ones with the arm bands,saying is Mp stands for "multi purpose" we do convoy security,small unit action,perimeter and ECP security and raids/cordons. occasionally working with the grunts as well.

but honestly man,do what YOU want to do,if i did what my mother wanted i would be in supply or admin,and very,very miserable.

but i'm living my dream of becoming a dog handler in the Marine Corps because i did what i WANTED to do.

Enigmatic
10-16-08, 10:22 AM
but honestly man,do what YOU want to do,if i did what my mother wanted i would be in supply or admin,and very,very miserable.

That's EXACTLY what happened to me! I went admin so my parents wouldn't worry about me, and I was MISERABLE. Especially at FAST, I had to watch everyone else do all the fun shiat!

rmreynolds
10-16-08, 10:47 AM
Okay, well first off I appreciate ALL the commentary. Thanks to everyone who replied. Secondly, I obviously should have wrote this post when I had more time to go into detail. Let me start off by saying I am still signing up for 03xx, it is what I've wanted to do for along time, and I have some time in DEP to change my mind on an MOS. I did tell my dad though, who is a former Marine himself, that I would at least look into it. His worries are that I'll get all the 'testosterone' out with a different job that is similar, such as Combat Engineer, which is one that he actually brought up too. The benefit being that I learn something of a trade for after I get out. He is not objecting to me joining 03xx at all because he thinks it is a noble choice, but, he remembers that when some Marines aren't fighting are back in Garrison that sometimes they find a lot of busy work for you and sometimes that can get old. Also, I scored pretty high on the pre-ASVAB (I take the real thing Monday 10-20-08) so hes trying to suggest that I take advantage of that and select a MOS that caters to that. Like I said, he is in no way trying to make this choice for me, but i respect his opinion as I always have and I understand that he is just trying to make sure I don't wish I had picked something else. I know, He knows, and the recruiter knows that there is only one person to make this decision and that is me. I went to a different recruiter to ask this question as well. He didn't have a lot of time to show me the specifics but he said I should research these contracts: BY, DB, B7, and BX. I had a hard time finding them so if anyone could elaborate that would be very appreciated. Thanks again.

Mikewebe
10-16-08, 12:59 PM
I don't regret being an 03 one bit. Iwas going to switch MOS's eventually I thought but, nope staying 03

Pete0331
10-16-08, 01:06 PM

Some elements of Comm and some elements of combat engineers get the "feeling."

If any MOS has the "feeling" of the Grunts it is because they are exposed to the same, or similar, occupational risks and hazards.

Mikewebe
10-16-08, 01:09 PM
Well put;)

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-16-08, 01:52 PM
Just to clarify something, 2800 MOSs are not "grunts with a radio" they're the people that fix the radios. 0600 (formerly 2500) are the radio operators. Of course, even in infantry units they're going to be H&S types, the grunts really are capable of running their own radios- it isn't that difficult.

Pete0331
10-16-08, 01:57 PM
Just to clarify something, 2800 MOSs are not "grunts with a radio" they're the people that fix the radios. 0600 (formerly 2500) are the radio operators. Of course, even in infantry units they're going to be H&S types, the grunts really are capable of running their own radios- it isn't that difficult.

Are grunts able to take possession of the crypto box?
Our comm guys always took care of it for us.

Quinbo
10-16-08, 02:08 PM
I carried the akak. With a little bit of training a secret clearance you too can be a battery operated grunt. Those in the know should be able to answer what the acronym AN-PRC-77 stands for.

My first thought when reading this was MP's

TazMatt
10-16-08, 03:11 PM
Why not supply because without supplies you go no where.

yellowwing
10-16-08, 04:09 PM
Why not supply because without supplies you go no where.
Bah! Those crazy Grunts would go at it with rocks and sharpened sticks if they had too! :D

bgsuwoody
10-16-08, 05:04 PM
How about 0311 because no matter what MOS you may be, you are still a pog

Pete0331
10-16-08, 05:08 PM
Bah! Those crazy Grunts would go at it with rocks and sharpened sticks if they had too! :D

I would prefer it.... less weapon maintenance. :marine:

CalahanD
10-16-08, 08:09 PM
03xx I am pretty sure has a grunt feeling. Seriously dude, Respect your dad and listen to his advice but if you want 03xx than you need to go 03. It is you signing the contract, do what you want to.

PFC Horse
10-16-08, 08:28 PM
A "cool" MOS that gives a "grunt like feeling" but without the "hardship". ????????
Stay out of my Marine Corps!!

Hey Crusader... 2800 Grunt with a radio, Semper Fi Brother

PaidinBlood
10-16-08, 09:50 PM

Not sure on the "book" but we always had a crazy ten and filled our own comm regularly (so much crap this is no small task) Usually handled by an ambitious boot with a brain. They were supposed to be filled at a higher echelon (Bn, I think) and everyone is always in the spotlight when one gets compromised. When it hits the fan, everybody scambles to cover themselves...

sparkie
10-16-08, 10:11 PM
"Can't believe I read all this crap" Wanna 'feel' like a grunt??? Have your bud crap on your toothbrush,,,,,,,,,

egbutler1
10-17-08, 12:57 AM
I could load crypto as an 0311 squad leader but I had a clearance, but for the most part i left it up to my bad ass comm guy. Some comm boot fool lost his stuff stateside while i was in Iraq even though we loaded new crypto ever week we all had to get waken up to go and load new crypto and fill. Wish i knew who he was taking my few sleep hours i got away lol.

rmreynolds
10-17-08, 11:23 AM
A "cool" MOS that gives a "grunt like feeling" but without the "hardship". ????????

Hey Crusader... 2800 Grunt with a radio, Semper Fi Brother

A lot of people understood the question the way it was intended, and too late on joining the Corps...

rmreynolds
10-17-08, 11:27 AM
"Can't believe I read all this crap" Wanna 'feel' like a grunt??? Have your bud crap on your toothbrush,,,,,,,,,

How..........insightful? 3 pages worth of responses so it most have been worth something but I did say all input appreciated so thanks to you and all others, I'm done with this post, I have another 2 months before I ship to MCRDSD to pick an MOS.

PooleeCarson
10-29-08, 02:18 AM
rmreynolds When you shipping out ?

2ndLAADBnWRENCH
10-29-08, 03:25 AM
How..........insightful? 3 pages worth of responses so it most have been worth something but I did say all input appreciated so thanks to you and all others, I'm done with this post, I have another 2 months before I ship to MCRDSD to pick an MOS.

YOUR DONE WITH THIS POST ?? ??? ????

You or your Dad wants a cool Grunt like MOS???

Everyone STATE SIDE { CONUS} and oversea's in a ZONE while serving in the MARINES see's HARDSHIP and its all MOS's and not just GRUNTs 0300 SERIES...

These men that have caused you to give up this post are in fact giving you great advice whether you wanna believe it or not..

Marines are in countrys and ZONES putting out brush fires and most are not on TV for CNN and others to miss represent as factual and true just like politics and you have no choices like fries or a coke with your burger back home in a ZONE its do or die and your battle buddy or your BALLZZ is all you got to fall back on to make it out alive sometimes. This 4 or 6 year choice and MOS are yours and you own it lock stock and barrel !!!

A COOL Grunt like MOS is the farthest thing from my mind when I signed open contract with a trade and went grunt and ended up back with building specialized equipment just like as a civilian.. On that note... You may have a great MOS thats cool and Grunt like and be reassigned for the good of the Corps to any MOS to incluse 0300 SERIES because all MARINES are BASIC INFANTRYMEN...

This is not to mean or nasty or arrigant etc.. These Men with some real experience are being honest about your future period because they have been there and they really know the real deal, Son...

Speak with your parents and be honest this is really your choice...

This is a real reality check and nothing else..

JB STARK USMC-USA RETIRED LIFE MEMBER OF VFW DAV Marine Corps League

McSweeney
10-29-08, 12:17 PM
do what you want to do. you'll learn it boot camp from your friendly DI's that "you are a grown ass man". so it would be hoo of you to do what you want to do. Mind you... don't let john wayne syndrome choose it for you.

PolishDevildog
10-29-08, 05:16 PM
i was a 0351 assaultman. i told the recruiter i dont care what mos you give me, i just wanna be a Marine. haha that was dumb of me. chances are if you do a 03xx field in your first four years you will wanna get out. 75% of my company decided to get out. its alot of bullxxxx. but the pride of being a 03xxx is like nothing else. just dont do admin.:flag:

Enigmatic
10-30-08, 09:04 AM
Damn, Sgt, what's with the admin-hating? Funny how everyone hates on admin, but it was always the grunts that came to me begging for this or that...

Enigmatic
10-30-08, 02:26 PM
Damn, Sgt, what's with the admin-hating? Funny how everyone hates on admin, but it was always the grunts that came to me begging for this or that...

I'm gonna push for this one later...I read the post without remembering what the name of the thread was....if you want an MOS with a "grunt-like feeling", I guess you should stay away from admin. My mistake.

PolishDevildog
10-30-08, 03:45 PM
im not hating on you or your mos gonzo. we are all Marines.

Qwarkeh
10-30-08, 09:32 PM
i might be showing my age,

but how about 2800 ...... Grunt with a Radio. :)

2844s are right up there with the grunts. If you're into radios and want to learn how to fix the stuff the grunts break, that might be the job for you. The year long school in the desert with a month or so before you pick up class might drive you nuts, though!:sick:

Enigmatic
10-31-08, 01:53 PM
im not hating on you or your mos gonzo. we are all Marines.

No, I know. I understood my mistake after I posted that. My apologies.

shirty1
11-03-08, 07:59 PM
this is why this poolee is still just a poolee, he doesnt have all the info, and doesnt pretend to, sorry about that PFC, will do research next time.

Why are you speaking in third person..?? LOL it's a forum buddy

Rains
11-03-08, 10:03 PM
I dont know.... I assume that infantry gives the most "grunt like feeling", but thats just me, I could be wrong. :evilgrin:

PooleeAdams 1
11-03-08, 10:14 PM
1833 is pretty much a grunt field now in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Pete0331
11-03-08, 11:30 PM

As soon as they are out of a Combat AO I can guarantee that you will be able to tell the difference.

ecom
11-03-08, 11:52 PM
2844s are right up there with the grunts. If you're into radios and want to learn how to fix the stuff the grunts break, that might be the job for you. The year long school in the desert with a month or so before you pick up class might drive you nuts, though!:sick:
Is 2844 GCOR? They don't go through BEC right? I remember there was a 28xx MOS that didn't go through BEC when I was in MAT.

ecom
11-03-08, 11:54 PM

More specifically I think there are only one or two in 06xx that are field radio operators. There are some 06xx that work with computers more than radios. I think those are 065x.

Achped
11-04-08, 09:41 AM
0621 is a field radio op, and as E4B said, they hang out at the COC most of the time...

Accord
11-05-08, 12:36 AM

I don't know what moto BS you've been fed but that is completely untrue. In Afghanistan all the Amtrackers stayed inside the wire and were put on camp guard, chow hall duty, etc. and AAV's didn't even come in country. In other words, they were useless.

Accord
11-05-08, 12:44 AM
I would never want to be an 0621, I have a lot of respect for the comm guys who are with the grunts. They do everything that we do and then some. They wake up earlier than us to fill crypto on all the comm gear every morning, go to sleep after everyone else because there is a problem with the comm - and there is ALWAYS a problem with the comm- and they have to keep track of more serialized gear than our plt commander. One benefit is they pick up rank faster than any grunt, the second they rate a cutting score they pick up.

Accord
11-05-08, 12:52 AM

He could join the Air Force with the MOS of Fluffer and get a "grunt like feeling" everytime some Marines are going to or coming home from a combat zone through an Air Force base.

RedmanEcho5
11-05-08, 01:29 AM
If all you want is to get that MOS with that "grunt" feel then go join the Army infantry.
First, Be True To Yourself.
My Marine Corps takes on men and women who made a choice for some lengths of time and a career even and those choices should not be made lightly. I for one would not want to be anywhere with someone who just wants to "feel" like a grunt. Because when the bullets start flying how can I rely on them? As far as the other MOS's, THEY are just as important to the mission and by choosing their field just to be close to the grunt but not reallly is to demean what they do. As a former grunt myself I really appreciated all the other Marine MOS, from engineers, artillery, communications, even administration. They are all Marines who do their jobs proudly. We Only Want The Few And The Proud.
If you still want that "grunt feeling" without all the hard work then rent "Call of Duty". I hear it's pretty realistic and when it gets too much for you you can always press the "pause" button or better yet you can just turn it off.
The real world is full of dangers, the Marine Corps has dealt with it with people who face it with courage, honor and respect.

The next choice is yours.

hawks
11-07-08, 11:32 AM
Just go 03xx. Best choice there is, because nothing gives you that "grunt-like" feeling more than actually being one.

degenerate138
11-07-08, 11:51 AM
I can't believe this thread is still alive. I'm just a poolee, but if you wanted a "grunt-like" feeling, I'd say MP.

Forget having a grunt-like feeling, don't you want to have the grunt feeling? I do, that's why I'm going grunt.

jerryd6818
11-07-08, 02:12 PM
I don't understand your question. What do you mean by "grunt like feeling"?

Are you referring to getting shot at on a fairly regular basis when deployed in a combat zone? Is that your difinition of a "grunt like feeling"? If it is, I know some comm guys, corpsmen, combat engineers, tankers, door gunners (they still have those, don't they?), helicopter crewmen and even some motor-t drivers that will tell you they have had those "grunt like feelings".

Maybe your definition is being blown up by or coming close to being blown up by an IED or sucide bomber. I think here, in addition to motor-t drivers, you have a wide variety of MOSs to choose from, including the dude that comes to disarm or blow the device in place. You guys that have been there can tell him a lot more about that.

If you were referring to training and going to the field, there are MOSs other than 03xx that do that kind of thing in their own way, although you have a better chance of doing a Med Cruise or WestPac with a Division unit.

If to you, it means going on working parties, standing mess duty, standing inspections, standing guard duty and enduring the chicken **** the Corps is so good at, the field is wide open. Those are not exclusive to the 03xx MOS. Every Marine that puts on the uniform gets to participate in those "Marine feelings".

If it's just the feeling you get from being a grunt, it's pretty obvious you won't get that anyplace other than being in the grunts. Don't worry though. Regardless of what some may try to tell you, there is a pride you will get from wearing the uniform you can't get anyplace else and that makes it worth it, no matter what your MOS.

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

jetdoc
11-09-08, 08:57 AM
AirWing.

Whizdumb
11-10-08, 05:06 PM

There are 3 fields considered "Combat Arms". Infantry, Armor, and Artillery.
Armor is your Tank and Amphibious Assault Crewman, and artillery is your cannoneers and fire support men, etc. Motor Vehicle Operators are often called 'Grunts On Wheels', and your radio operators tend to roll with the grunts as well. Again, if your goal is to be at the tip of the spear when it comes to seeing some action, the combat arms MOS's are the way to go.

jetdoc
11-10-08, 05:41 PM
The reason I said "Air Wing" is because after living the life of a Winger you wouldn't "feel like" being a Grunt, :D

Sgt Jim
11-10-08, 06:30 PM
Stay away from that MOS that has you draging half of a 55gal full of s##t out from under the out house,you have to put JP4or fuel ,stir ,set on fire ,and keep stirring till it all gone

sparkie
11-10-08, 06:51 PM
Jim, you just described the political thread.

Still lookin for that 'grunt like feeling'? Personally, my wife frowns on grunt like noises, even when i get that feeling.

Phantom Blooper
11-10-08, 07:30 PM
Grunts don't have feelings!:evilgrin:

ItzAlex
11-10-08, 07:55 PM
Try a 35xx field. Motor-T is one of those few jobs that can be attatched to EVERY single field and every single duty station. Believe it or not some Motor-T guys stay outside the wires more than the grunts.

Motivated7680
11-11-08, 01:57 AM
My dad was an 0311 in the Corps and he and my mom still don't like that I chose an infantry job, and I definitely respect his opinion, but I figure it's time for me to start making my own decisions and doing what I think I'll be best at and enjoy the most.