PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Linguist?

Greg Terpinyan
10-15-08, 05:48 PM
Hi my name is Greg. I had some bad time with recruters lying to me- ( like don't study for ASVAB- score doesn't metter, and giving me "call you tomorrow" stuff). Now I have a good recruter. But still I have questions that knowbody can answer. Every recruter or MEPS, they all tell me to ask my recruter because they don't know, and I did it first before calling them!
I came to Marine Corps recruter and I sad that I know 6 languages: Russian, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian, Czech, Belorussian, and can understand Yougoslavian lang. I asked my recruter if my DUI would be a problem to get Linguist MOS and he sad it is no problem;):devious:. So we went to MEPS, I sighned contract, he also told me we will go for language test. After I sighn the contract, he tells me that languege test I will take in boot camp( no metter how much I beg him to take me for this test). He also told me that because of DUI i can't be Linguist, that i have to sighn AM or AF, and in the boot Camp "THEY" will change me to a Linguist, because "THEY" need linguist. How true what recruter tells me? Can "THEY" change my MOS who should I talk to? Will I get language test in boot camp? I am firefighter and I love U.S. and I would like to serve it with the stuff that I know. I know how Russian people think I follow up on politics. But it all seems needless for Military, but what happen in Gergia should not be a surprize to US . (DUI was a big mistake of my life, I am not alchoholic) Thank You for Your time, I have nobudy to get information from, Please help. P.S. Couple of guys who served in Marines and Air Force say my recruter is Lying.

1stRad2671
10-15-08, 08:53 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048

MGySgtSki
10-15-08, 09:27 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say your problem would be getting a clearance, DUI or not......

Haffner
10-15-08, 09:46 PM
So you want to be a cunning linguist?

yellowwing
10-15-08, 10:57 PM
If things are confused, don't blindly rush into anything.

Put some more work into that profile of yours.

Greg Terpinyan
10-16-08, 02:37 PM
If things are confused, don't blindly rush into anything.

Put some more work into that profile of yours.

Thanks:). Sorry, that is my first time on forum and dealing with the profile on the internet. But I still don't know where to find the answers who to talk to, and is there anything I can do? It seems like scince I enlisted knowbody cares what MOS I want. I had to sighn for AM MOS. Recruter doesn't even picks me up for poolee meetings, I am not talking about language tast any more.

Greg Terpinyan
10-16-08, 02:38 PM
So you want to be a cunning linguist?

Yes , sir!:)

Greg Terpinyan
10-16-08, 02:42 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say your problem would be getting a clearance, DUI or not......

My recruter doesn't even picks me up for poolee meetings. My recruter doesn't even take me for language test. Tells me that everything will be done at Boot Camp. He gave me AM MOS.:)

OB MSG
10-16-08, 02:51 PM
Ok, for starters you need to tell your recruiter exactly what you want. If he's worth anything then he will work with you. As for signing up for one MOS and having them change it at Boot, that is BS. I've heard the "My recruiter told me this" before it's usually Bull. Tell the recruiter to put down what you want, (as long as you qualify for it) or no deal. This is your career, you decide how you want it to be.

You may have some trouble with the DUI when you go for your clearance check, but also you could have trouble because of you family history. I can't say whether they will give you the clearance you need or not and that can keep you from being a linguist. That being said, keep practicing your languages. When I was in Hawaii we had a female Marine who could speak Ukrainian and she was paid a stipend to keep her knowledge current.

MGySgtSki
10-16-08, 03:30 PM
Ok, for starters you need to tell your recruiter exactly what you want. If he's worth anything then he will work with you. As for signing up for one MOS and having them change it at Boot, that is BS. I've heard the "My recruiter told me this" before it's usually Bull. Tell the recruiter to put down what you want, (as long as you qualify for it) or no deal. This is your career, you decide how you want it to be.

You may have some trouble with the DUI when you go for your clearance check, but also you could have trouble because of you family history. I can't say whether they will give you the clearance you need or not and that can keep you from being a linguist. That being said, keep practicing your languages. When I was in Hawaii we had a female Marine who could speak Ukrainian and she was paid a stipend to keep her knowledge current.

Might wanna check your facts on that one about changing MOSs at boot camp. They do, or at least used to, administer the DLAB (language aptitude test) at boot camp and if you met the aptitude criteria you were pulled aside and talked to a screener at MCRD who gave you the opportunity to drop your contract MOS for the 26XX MOS with follow-on to DLI for language training. That's what happened to me back in the day. I can only assume this is still occurring since there is still a 26XX screener at each of the MCRDs.

As far as the clearance, the family background is exactly what I meant in the previous post when I said with or without the DUI. The DUI just adds fuel to that fire. Just on the face of it, I would assume the OP has plenty of family members who are not residents of this country. Of course, if the poolee isn't a citizen then he can certainly forget that clearance.

S/F

OB MSG
10-16-08, 03:43 PM
I took the DLAB before I even signed my contract, just to see. I didn't pass so I chose another field. If he wants to take it before, his recruiter should have little trouble setting it up.

As for not being able to change MOSs, yeah, you're right, I'll reword that. If the Corps wants to change your MOS they can/will, but there has to be a good reason. Needs of the Corps and all that rot! But more often than not, I was on the receiving end of the sob stories of Marines saying they didn't get the MOS they thought they signed up for.

So, I would advise him to get the MOS he wants and qualifies for before he goes to boot and not gamble with his future.

MGySgtSki
10-16-08, 03:46 PM
I took it before I even signed my contract, just to see. I didn't pass so I chose another field. If he wants to take it before, his recruiter should have little trouble setting it up.

As for not being able to change MOSs, yeah, you're right, I will reword that. If the Corps wants to change your MOS they will, but there has to be a good reason. Needs of the Corps and all that rot! But more often than not, I was on the receiving end of the sob stories of Marines saying they didn't get the MOS they thought they signed up for.

Well, unless you're a reservist, nobody signs up for an MOS, just an OCC Field. Again, about the DLAB etc, no Marine is made to change their MOS to 26xx if they don't want to, they just get the sales pitch and make up their own mind at MCRD if they score high enough on the test. Heck of a place to have to make that kind of decision, but that's how it is.

S/F

Greg Terpinyan
10-16-08, 06:01 PM

Thank You For Your Time!!!! My recruter wouldn't even pick me up for poolee meeting. Talking with him is like talking to the wall. When I ask to take me for Languege test- He behaves like he does not hear me. He tells me I don't qualify for Linguist because of DUI, (my parents and grand parents are U.S. citizens + me). When I call MEPS or other recruters they tell me to talk with my recruter or his boss. It is like a broken record. I sighned for Avionic Mechanic, well at least I got in. I had a One Recruter that was feeding me BS for 6 month... Can You tell me Is there some good recruter, or place where I can get help, or that is the buttom line?

Greg Terpinyan
10-16-08, 06:19 PM
[quote=MSgtSki;400226]Might wanna check your facts on that one about changing MOSs at boot camp. They do, or at least used to, administer the DLAB (language aptitude test) at boot camp and if you met the aptitude criteria you were pulled aside and talked to a screener at MCRD who gave you the opportunity to drop your contract MOS for the 26XX MOS with follow-on to DLI for language training. That's what happened to me back in the day. I can only assume this is still occurring since there is still a 26XX screener at each of the MCRDs.

Thenk You For Your Time:)!!! Is there a way to try to contact any "Marine Corps Linguist Office". Or sombody that can help? Because, scince I enlisted, my recruter doesn't even pick me up for meetings, and when I call MEPS or other recruters they send me back to the same guy. He tells me that his job is to get me to the boot camp not to give me language test, or security clearence. My parents and grand parents are citizens of U.S. I did research and I qualyfy for Linguist, but DUI is the question. But it is all BS when I live in the reality that my recruter made for me, and have no second oppinion. My e-mail Terpinyan1@yahoo.com (Terpinyan1@yahoo,com) Thank You sir!!

Try2CatchMike
10-16-08, 08:37 PM
Good luck passing the DLAB, I have heard that its done at boot camp but I took it at MEPS before I enlisted. Maybe only some MEPS have the ability to administer the test?

Quinbo
10-17-08, 01:41 AM
As far as I know the DLAB is not a test designed to check if you already speak certain languages, but a guage on how quickly you could pick up a new one.

rvillac2
10-17-08, 10:33 AM
As far as I know the DLAB is not a test designed to check if you already speak certain languages, but a guage on how quickly you could pick up a new one.

That's correct. It's an aptitude test, not a proficiency test.