PDA

View Full Version : Marines return home

thedrifter
10-15-08, 11:14 AM
Marines return home

By JULIA LeDOUX
Published: October 14, 2008

The refrain of the Marine Corps Hymn was overshadowed by joyous cheers Tuesday as a crowd of families and friends welcomed home the Marines and sailors of the 4th Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion’s Delta Company from a six month deployment to Iraq.

“Everybody’s alive,” said company commander Maj. Alex Remily with a broad smile as he watched his troops reunite with their loved ones at Barnett Field at Quantico Marine Corps base. “They’re just going to take off for some well-deserved time with their families.”

The battalion deployed to al Anbar Province in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in March. Delta Company is comprised of 129 Marines and 11 Navy corpsmen. Remily said the company performed a mechanized security mission in its 15,000-square-kilometer area of operation while in Iraq.

Thoughts of time spent apart were far from the mind of Aimee Stevens, who tightly held a sign that read “Welcome Home, Sgt. Assur. 65 Days Until I Do.”

“It’s two months, three days and one hour,” she joked of her December wedding as she glanced at her watch.

Stevens and her fiance, Adam Assur, met shortly after he returned from his first deployment to Iraq in 2003.

“He’s my best friend, he’s my companion,” she said.

Assur, a deputy sheriff in Spotsylvania County, only had eyes for Stevens, whom he calls “cute, little redheaded fiancée,” when he stepped off the bus.

“I’m estatic. I’m overjoyed to be home,” Assur said.

The two shared a long embrace and kiss as Assur’s parents, Laura Howard-Yateman and Robert Yatemen, and brother Joshua Assur looked on. Joshua Assur returned home from a deployment to the Persian Gulf last month.

“I am thrilled, I am relieved,” said Laura Howard-Yateman of having both her sons home again. “I can sleep again.”

“She’s been a real trooper,” Robert Yateman said of his wife.

Waving American flags and marching together on the grassy field before the buses pulled up, Russell Endicott, 4, and his older sister, Victoria, 7, anxiously waited to get a glimpse of their uncle, Cpl. Mike Burriss.

“I’m gonna wave the flag when I see Uncle Mike,” Russell promised with a grin.

Victoria also proudly showed off a sign she made that stated “I Love Uncle Mike.” The words were spelled out with colorful glitter. Burris’ wife, Nana, work a black T-shirt that was emblazoned with the words “I Love Mike.”

“I’m glad they’re all back,” Burris’ father, Dan, said as he fondly watched his grandchildren.

Lance Cpl. Josh Winters’ entire family from Fairfax — mom Grace, dad, Jim, and brothers Dan and Aaron, were on hand to welcome him home.

“We’re just so excited and unbelievably proud, and just terribly happy that they’re home,” said Grace Winters.

Marine Corps Community Services hosted the homecoming event and provided food and refreshments for the returning servicemen and their families.

Staff writer Julia LeDoux can be reached at 703-369-5718.

Ellie