PDA

View Full Version : Red Wings get star treatment at White House

thedrifter
10-15-08, 09:14 AM
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Red Wings get star treatment at White House
Deb Price / The Detroit News

WASHINGTON -- President Bush honored the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday at the White House, telling the 2008 Stanley Cup champions "you were determined -- and you won."

The silver Stanley Cup glittered under the huge chandelier in the ornate East Room as the Red Wings were given a standing ovation by guests, including U.S. Sen. Carl Levin of Michigan, several Marines, dozens of boy hockey players dressed in jerseys and sneakers, and Bush friends who carried autographed blades.

"The Stanley Cup is the oldest trophy in professional sports," the president said. "It's also very difficult to win....The players here met the grueling test, and they set some impressive records along the way."

Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom gave the president two red and white jerseys emblazoned "Bush 41" and "Bush 43," signifying Bush and his father's presidential ordering.

"We'd love to come back again," said Lidstrom, who stood with his teammates behind the president.

Before and after the ceremony, the president's personal Marine band played Motown songs.

Coach Mike Babcock and general manager Ken Holland also attended. Babcock later described being honored by the president as "absolutely fantastic."

The Red Wings won their 11th Stanley Cup on June 4 by defeating the Pittsburgh Penguins, 3-1, in Game Six of the Stanley Cup Finals. Henrik Zetterberg scored the winning goal.

It was the team's fourth Stanley Cup victory over the past 11 years. It was also the team's second trip to the Bush White House, the first to honor their 2002 Stanley Cup title.

The Stanley Cup, which has literally traveled the world, had already had an adventurous morning: Three Wings -- Goalie Ty Conklin and defensemen Brian Rafalski and Brett Lebda -- took the trophy to be seen by injured soldiers at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Bush noted that Red Wings players took the cup to Sweden, Finland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Russia, while their coach took it water skiing.

"Several players had young relatives baptized with the Cup. Others let their children use it as a bowl for cereal, for ice cream, and donuts," Bush said to laughter.

The president singled out several players. He teased Kris Draper for scoring a goal when a hockey puck shot off his teeth, which Bush called "beauties."

He applauded Johan Franzen for breaking Gordie Howe's franchise record for the most game-winning goals in one month, the team record for most goals in a single playoff series, and league record for most goals in a four-game sweep.

He noted that Chris Chelios set a record at 46 years old in being the oldest player to win the Stanley Cup. "That guy is going to play a lot more. I mean, if he can do it age 46, why not 52 like Gordie Howe?"

He also praised Darren McCarty for overcoming a drinking problem and returning to play pro hockey.

"This guy got his life back together, seized the moment, and scored the opening goal in game two of the series against Nashville," Bush said. "That is a stout story. ... Congratulations to you."

After the president's tribute, team members gathered on the sun-splashed White House driveway to speak with reporters.

"He kind of asked me to give him a smile," Draper recalled of the president teasing him over a puck hitting his teeth and scoring a goal. "The president mentioning my name is something I will never forget."

McCarty said the president talked to him about his own past difficulties with alcohol. Bush has said he stopped drinking after a bad hangover following his 40th birthday.

"He said he wouldn't be standing there today if it wasn't for (stopping drinking)," said McCarty. "To have that sort of bond ... It just reassures me I am doing the right thing."

McCarty said of the president publicly praising him, "it doesn't get much better than that."

The team was scheduled to leave after the ceremony after arriving to town Monday night after its defeat of the Hurricanes, 3-1.

Before the ceremony, seven Swedish members of the team accepted an invitation by the Swedish ambassador to the United States to stop by the Swedish embassy.

Anton Laakos, a 14-year-old hockey player on the Virginia Xtremes team, was among dozens of boys who got a chance to see the tribute.

"It's really exciting to see the players," said Laakos. "But my favorite team is the Penguins."

You can reach Deb Price at dprice@detnews.com or (202) 662-8736.

Ellie