thedrifter
10-15-08, 08:48 AM
Marines help two victims in Deep Run vehicle accident
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
Head on collision kills Richlands woman
October 14, 2008 - 4:02PM
Chris Lavender
Staff Writer

DEEP RUN - A Richlands woman was killed Tuesday in a two-vehicle accident on U.S. 258 South.

The fatal accident happened at 6443 U.S. 258 South near the Dooley's Grocery Store shortly after 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. According to State Highway Patrol Trooper D.E. McLawhorn, Vicky Taylor, 53, of Richlands was driving a 1995 Mitsubishi truck northbound on U.S. 258 when she crossed the road's center line, causing a collision with a white 2004 Volvo S80 driven southbound by Priscilla Preston, 77, of Greenville.

Taylor was taken to Lenoir Memorial Hospital where she was pronounced dead. Preston sustained two broken arms in the accident and was in stable condition at Pitt County Memorial Hospital Tuesday night.

Both vehicles sustained heavy damage in the collision. Several eyewitnesses said the Mitsubishi crossed the center line.

Pam Kendall of Richlands was driving her black Volkswagen directly behind the Mitsubishi truck before the accident. Kendall was driving to Dooley's Grocery Store, where she is currently employed.

"I was behind the truck when all of a sudden it started to run off the road to the right," Kendall said. "I got behind the truck and started to blow my horn to get the driver's attention. I didn't know if the driver was falling a sleep or was sick but the truck was moving around the road erratically."

The truck then suddenly veered left and hit the Volvo driven by Preston, Kendall said. Kendall then drove less than 50 yards to Dooley's where an employee inside called 911.

Meanwhile, three bus loads of U.S. Marines from the 2nd Battalion 8th Marines Unit based in Camp Lejeune were traveling through the accident scene and stopped to help Preston and Taylor. Several of the Marines witnessed the accident as well.

According to eyewitnesses, several Marines used vehicle lift jacks to pick up the Mitsubishi truck off of Taylor who was ejected from her truck.

Several Marines and U.S. Navy Corpsmen provided medical aid to both victims before local emergency crews from Deep Run, Pink Hill and Southwood arrived at the scene.

Deep Run Volunteer Fire Department Capt. John Whitfield said when he arrived at the scene the Marines were already helping the victims.

"They did a fantastic job," Whitfield said about the Marines' performance at the accident scene "I thank them for all that they did."

Deep Run resident Ernest Murphy was driving through the area as well after the accident and witnessed the Marines jump into action.

"Those men did a great job," Murphy said. "They lifted the truck up off of that woman."

McLawhorn said Taylor was driving behind her husband, Harry Taylor, who was also driving a 1995 Mitsubishi truck. Both trucks had BBQ Pigs Incorporated logos on them and were traveling to Kinston before the accident.

According to McLawhorn, Vicky Taylor had high blood pressure but had no other known medical problems that could have contributed to the fatal accident. Both Taylor and Preston were driving below the 55 mph speed limit when the accident occurred.

"We don't know why she was driving the way she did," McLawhorn said.

McLawhorn thanked the Marines for their efforts in trying to save both victims' lives.

"They did an excellent job," he said.

Chris Lavender can be reached at (252) 559-1078 or clavender@freedomenc.com

Ellie