PDA

View Full Version : Company makes welcome homes more special

thedrifter
10-14-08, 08:18 AM
Company makes welcome homes more special
Monday, October 13 (updated 9:37 am)
By Jennifer Atkins Brown
Staff Writer

What better Mother's Day gift for Lisa Seffels than to have her son, Marine Lance Cpl. Kyle Seffels , return from his first tour of duty in Iraq on Mother's Day? Lisa and her husband, Scott , of Greensboro wanted to make his welcome-home party this past spring as special as possible, and with the help of a local company, they were able to do just that.

The Greensboro location of Sign-A-Rama offers free welcome-home banners to local families who have a loved one returning from military service. The 2-by-4-foot , full-color banners include the person's branch of service insignia and a personal message.

"It's just heartwarming to find a business that provides a service like that to families of the military," said Lisa Seffels. "I can't put it into words what it means."

Scott Seffels said they first heard about the signs while visiting a Marine community chat room for parents.

"When I visited the Sign-A-Rama here on Battleground and they told me the sign would be absolutely free, I said, 'Excuse me?' " Seffels said. "It's such an exceptional service."

Kyle Seffels will start a second tour with the Marines in the spring, and his parents have saved his banner and plan to use it again for his second welcome-home party.

Larry and Maria Plott had one of the free signs made for their son Christopher Plott , 23 , who returned in June after serving a year with the Army in Iraq.

Though the couple now lives in Madison , their son grew up in Greensboro and attended Grimsley High School . They used the sign to help decorate for his welcome-home party, as well.

Maria Plott was impressed with the quality of the banner and service she received.

"They were very helpful, sent us a proof, and the banner turned out beautifully," she said. "It's nice that they did this for free, but more than that, it's nice to have a company showing support for military families and service people."

Their son is now in the Reserves , and the Plotts plan on giving the banner to Christopher and his wife, Anna Marie , as a keepsake.

"Making these signs may not seem like a big thing to some, but it's special to us," Maria Plott said. "It means a lot to families."

Greensboro Sign-A-Rama co-owner Vince Cvijanovic said he got the idea for the free banners from another Sign-A-Rama in the Northeast and thought it was a nice way to say thank you to troops and their families.

"You often see families waiting at bus stops and airports with these handmade signs," Cvijanovic said. "I thought it would be nice for them to have something bigger and that they could keep."

Cvijanovic said his company will make the free signs for any family who resides in the Triad . Customers are asked to visit the shop in person to discuss the banner, which takes about a week to make.

Cvijanovic said he wants to spread the word about the service.

"We're happy to do more," he said. "A military person being able to see that banner when they get off a plane or bus, it just makes their reunion that more pleasant."

Contact Jennifer Atkins Brown at 575-5582 or jennifer.brown@news-record.com.

Ellie