PDA

View Full Version : The Knock At The Door...

thedrifter
05-25-03, 08:16 AM
The Knock At The Door... <br />
... <br />
Maj. Daniel Hooker has one of the hardest jobs in the Marines: telling families a loved one is a casualty of war <br />
<br />
By LYRYSA SMITH, Staff writer <br />
First published:...

thedrifter
05-25-03, 08:16 AM
Not the end

A few days later, Barraga asked Hooker about the visit. "Marines are brief, especially on emotional topics, but his comment was, 'It was tough,' says Barraga. "And when a Marine says 'tough,' that means a lot."

But it doesn't end there. A CAO's responsibilities with a family generally span several months, as he guides them through paperwork, forms and complex decisions. Hooker presided over the full military honors portion of the graveside ceremony for the Marine corporal and will be with his mother again when her son's trunk and personal effects arrive.

With the main fighting over in Iraq, Hooker is hopeful he won't have to do more notifications. He doesn't believe the emotional aspect will ever get easier.

At the Marine reserve center in Albany, Hooker, dressed in fatigues, says he doesn't know how long he'll be on active duty, but he'll remain a reservist once he becomes a full-time assemblyman again. For now, he goes to the Assembly to listen, only, and to cast votes, and at the reserve center he takes care of day-to-day managerial tasks, which feel like a relief.

"It's not like in the beginning when there was constant unspoken tension here -- jumping when the phone rang, CNN on the computers all the time, and this feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop," Hooker says.

The office walls surrounding Hooker are filled with awards and mementos from his career as well as photographs of Marines in action. In a small snapshot near his desk, a lone Marine wears a cloth wrapped around his head and helmet as protection from the blowing sand of the desert.

Cpl. Mark Evnin's face peers out with faraway eyes and without a smile.

"I don't know why I have his photo hanging there," says Hooker. "Maybe because he's the epitome of a Marine -- he died fighting, doing his job. I respect him."

...Our thanks go out to the men, and women who have undertaken the toughest job there is,

"The knock at the door".....

Sempers,

Roger

thedrifter
05-25-03, 04:15 PM
I spent 2 years on the I & I Staff NMCRTC in Worcester, Mass. I had to accompany our I & I (Major) on a few of these, we all took turns. One of the hardest duties I have ever had. We also had many Militay Funerals, mostly for Marines KIA in Viet Nam. Would not wish this duty on anybody. Still remember the faces, something I will never forget.

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

kubba
05-26-03, 06:40 AM
Roger where abouts in Worcester Mass?
I don't know how you did that job, I really don't.
To be in country and not know if you are going to make it home is tough enough but to have to go and tell the parents thier son or daughter is never coming home, I have to salute you on this one Roger. I would not want to be in your dreamland. Sorry if I stirred anything up.
Semper Fi
stan

thedrifter
05-26-03, 10:52 AM
Stan it was hard but we were Honoring our Brothers who fell in Battle...........You might say that they still live on inside of me.......
I Honor then now by going to The Wall.

Was at the Naval and Marine Corps Reserve Training Center on Plantation Avenue in Worcester, Mass.

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: