PDA

View Full Version : Actor Louis Gossett Jr. to visit area vets Monday

thedrifter
10-11-08, 11:04 AM
October 11, 2008
Actor Louis Gossett Jr. to visit area vets Monday

THE DAILY NEWS JOURNAL

Academy Award winning Actor Louis Gossett Jr. will visit Veteran Affairs Tennessee Valley Healthcare System's Alvin C. York Campus in Murfreesboro Monday.

Gossett, who has starred in a variety of military-themed movies, such as "Officer and A Gentleman" and the "Iron Eagle" film series, will be in town for a charity golf event to aid homeless veterans at the VA Golf Course.

Gossett will visit with combat veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan during a luncheon event and tour the various medical units at the VA healthcare facility.

"Veterans are extremely important," he said. "I have been representing the military in my career. I have never served in the military, but in the roles that I have played I have been required to go through basic training nearly 10 times. I have jumped out of planes. I have done it all."

Gossett said the experiences have allowed him to get a taste of the commitment that the American veteran exhibits when they volunteer for military service.

"It allowed me to understand the dynamics of the military and the American soldier as a person. So I think the life of a veteran is extremely important and they must be taken care of," Gossett said.

Visiting with military members and veterans is something Gossett does on a regular basis. He has already been to Fort Hood, Texas, this year to visit with soldiers there and celebrated the Marine Corps' birthday with Marines and veterans at Camp Lejeune, N.C.

The actor said he is grateful that he was asked to come to Tennessee on behalf of veterans.

Former NFL player Charlie Wade will also be in attendance at the event. Wade was a member of the 1972 world champion Miami Dolphins football team. He is a native of Nashville who now lives in Memphis.

Ellie