PDA

View Full Version : Vet receives new home thanks to HelpingAHero.org

thedrifter
10-11-08, 06:19 AM
Vet receives new home thanks to HelpingAHero.org

By MATT HOLLIS
Updated: 10.10.08

Most Americans have a dream of owning their own home someday. For Sgt. Richard Massimino and his family, that dream came true Oct. 10 when members of the Helping a Hero’s Wounded Home Hero program, Galena Park ISD students, the North Shore Rotary Club, Newland Communities, Perry Homes and Congressman Gene Green presented him the keys to new home in the Summerwood Subdivision near West Lake Houston Parkway.

Massimino was a sergeant in the Marine Corp and served three tours of duty in Iraq. His dream of being in the Marines ended tragically when is back was fractured in a mortar attack. Faced with being forced to retire from the Marines and having nowhere to go for hi, his wife, Natasha, and his three children, Massimino was at his wits end. That’s when he received a call from Meredith Iler, chair for the Helping a Hero’s Wounded hero Home program.

Iler was able to help Massimino apply for a home through her program and in April of 2007, he got the call he had been waiting on.

"I walked in the house (in San Diego) and my wife was in tears," Massimino said. "She told me we got the house and it took a while for it to sink in. I was stunned and awed. It was a feeling of joy, happiness and relief all at once. I didn’t know how I was going to support my family. This has taken a great weight off of my shoulders."

Iler said she feels it is her duty to help a family out like the Massimino’s.

"We have a lot of people who care," Iler said. "The family is carrying the largest load. It’s just great to help this family out and harvest their future."

Ellie