PDA

View Full Version : Marines welcomed home from Horn of Africa

thedrifter
10-11-08, 05:09 AM
Marines welcomed home from Horn of Africa
RYN GARGULINSKI
Tucson Citizen

U.S. Marine David Sanchez thought seeing camels in Africa was cool, but they paled in comparison to the sight of 10 of his family members welcoming him back to Tucson Friday.

Sanchez, 21, was one of 91 marines deployed in January to the east African country of Djibouti for Operation Enduring Freedom in Africa.
The 87 men and four women arrived by the busload at Tucson's U.S. Marine 6th Engineer Support Battalion, 3655 S. Wilmot Drive.

They had been responsible for 24-hour security of the Djibouti camp, which housed more than 2,000 military and civilian workers along with the camp's foreign national forces.

"It was hot," Sanchez said. His favorite Djibouti experience, besides seeing camels, were his days off, when he got to watch movies and work out.

His grandmother, Maria Sierra, 64, and mother, Rosa Brown, 39, quickly grabbed his biceps to show off how much muscle he had gained.
"We missed his smile and joking around," Brown said.

Marine Bill Fosmire, 24, most missed his wife and his son, Jackson, who was born three weeks ago.

Fosmire was lucky enough to secure leave to be with his wife, Anna Fosmire, for the birth of their boy.

"He came home and labor was induced the next day," Anna Fosmire said. They weren't taking any chances.

After two weeks of helping with diaper changes and early-morning feedings, Fosmire had to rejoin his unit, which by then was in North Carolina, for a week of training before returning to Tucson.

"I missed him, of course," Anna Fosmire said of her husband. "But I also missed all the help I got with the baby. I missed sleeping at night."

Fosmire agreed Africa was hot, but it was also a great experience. "It was a good opportunity to serve," Fosmire said.

Brothers Sergio Calderon, 20, and Sgt. Mario Calderon, 28, were also glad to have served their country - and glad to be home.

"We missed the closeness, the warmth of being a family," said dad Raul Calderon. While dad will admit he wasn't too wild about both his sons joining the military, he is proud of them.

Now he can stop worrying about their safety, he said, along with that of his daughter, who was just away with the U.S. Army for four years.

"I am terribly excited," mom Rosalita Calderon said. "We are going to have a big celebration."

In addition to gobs of family, 20 members of the Patriot Guard Riders were also on hand - with flags in hand - to welcome back the troops.

The duty of the group, formed in 2005 in response to protests at a Kansas funeral, is to send off and welcome back the troops.

The members also stand between family and protesters at funerals.

Ellie