PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else see this?

Brandon1
10-10-08, 05:40 AM
I saw this video just as I was about to call it a night. It's about a new Marine who was not allowed to graduate high school with his Dress Blues on. It was posted a few months back, but I just now caught it. The Spiderman comment kinda made me laugh because according to that kid it's "Just another Uniform". It made no sense really. Anyways, here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtNj7G45m4Q&NR=1

Books
10-10-08, 06:43 AM
I don't think he should've worn dress blues to graduation... Whatever.

0231Marine
10-10-08, 07:33 AM
I don't think he should've worn dress blues to graduation... Whatever.

You're not a Marine so you wouldn't understand. Same reason the administrators wouldn't let him wear his uniform during the ceremony. The couldn't understand the pride this Marine felt following his graduation from bootcamp.

He was allowed to wear his blues during the color guard ceremony prior to the graduation ceremony though.

BR34
10-10-08, 08:13 AM
He shouldn't expect any special treatment from his school because he's a Marine. As long as the rules stay the same across the board I don't see a problem with this. It's not like there was a sailor, soldier, and airman who graduated in their uniforms then the Marine got denied.

degenerate138
10-10-08, 03:56 PM
I hope the kid who made the spiderman remark got his ass kicked.

E5NAMKROW
10-10-08, 04:02 PM
As a Marine he should understand and respect the decisions of those who yes, are in charge. If this poor little devildog cant get his jarhead wrapped around that philosiphy then he is in for a heck...

E5NAMKROW
10-10-08, 04:09 PM
I also like the part where the female student said because of a petition he should have been able to wear it and that she thought it was wrong the students didnt have a say in this decision. Bringing...

outlaw3179
10-10-08, 05:40 PM
I would have liked to see the kid that said the comment about spiderman get his larynx crushed. That would have given me a real warm and loving feeling inside.

SlingerDun
10-10-08, 06:07 PM
I would have liked to see the kid that said the comment about spiderman get his larynx crushed....I would relish the burn of a lactic acid build up slappin the stupid outta that child

davblay
10-10-08, 06:07 PM
WTF? They allowed him to wear his Blues under the gown! I recall an incident a few months ago that the school board didn't even want the Marine to do that, but after careful consideration allowed him to wear his Blues under the gown, just like this case.

The key phrase that we seem to be over looking here is "UNIFORM"! High Schools have had a tradition for 100s of years about the "CAP & GOWN", and they are all the same color, or the variations accepted by that schools traditions. As far as I know, there is no dress code for what to wear under the gown, I have seen people wearing short pants and a t-shirt, It gets hot in those things. The only thing that showed of his uniform was his collar! That is enough for recognition.

Allowing him to wear the Blues without the gown over it..hell he would have stuck out like a turd in a punch bowl! LMAO! That would have rained on the entire ceremony!

BOOKS......No one cares what you think! Remind me again....why are you even here anyway?

Dave

RYDERKUR
10-10-08, 06:21 PM
Cpl. Blaylock, I don't mean to question your vastly greater knowledge than mine, but I have always been under the impression you could not wear anything on or over a uniform that wasn't part of the prescribed uniform. I may have missed something or have been misunderstanding.

CplGiraffe
10-10-08, 06:45 PM
In the video the pricipal says that the Marines made an exemption for the cover of it, however subtext comes up saying that the Marine did not cover his Dress Blues (assuming he changed into something else).

RYDERKUR
10-10-08, 06:48 PM
Thanks...I didn't take the time to watch it, glad he didn't. I'm still curious as to Cpl. Blaylock's take on this.

kash
10-10-08, 07:05 PM
If I remember correctly at least 2 Marines have worn their Dress Blues where I live for graduation.

degenerate138
10-10-08, 07:17 PM
I don't see what the harm in wearing his Dress Blues would've resulted in. He'd definitely be the attention getter, but that's why you wear the Dress Blues to begin with anyway, right? Kidding aside, I really don't see what the rationale behind the school board's decision was, at all actually. I don't see anything wrong with it.

BR34
10-10-08, 08:33 PM
I don't see what the harm in wearing his Dress Blues would've resulted in. He'd definitely be the attention getter, but that's why you wear the Dress Blues to begin with anyway, right? Kidding aside, I really don't see what the rationale behind the school board's decision was, at all actually. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Wearing that uniform would have put him out of uniform. Really simple. Get it now?

Fubar08
10-10-08, 09:50 PM
Wow, that little skater kid...Just wow.

I bet all the senior girls were all over that. Im jealous.

davblay
10-10-08, 10:08 PM
Thanks...I didn't take the time to watch it, glad he didn't. I'm still curious as to Cpl. Blaylock's take on this.

L/Cpl...I am a little disappointed in your attention to detail! Had you watched the clip you would have seen my rational and where it came from! Bottom line.....it all worked out in the end........Mission accomplished!

Careful pup, you're getting close to stepping on some mighty strong toes here, hehe........Carry on!

Semper Fi,

Dave

degenerate138
10-11-08, 12:17 AM
Wearing that uniform would have put him out of uniform. Really simple. Get it now?

Nope. Still ain't clicking for me. I'm not sure what uniform you are referring to. If you're referring to the cap and gown, I guess that would make him out of uniform... but there really isn't a reason to disallow him from wearing HIS uniform...

Hologram
10-11-08, 02:24 AM
Nope. Still ain't clicking for me. I'm not sure what uniform you are referring to. If you're referring to the cap and gown, I guess that would make him out of uniform... but there really isn't a reason to disallow him from wearing HIS uniform...Mostly it has to do with the fact that the school wants everyone to look the same walking across the stage and receiving their diploma. My school explicitly told everyone that they could wear only their cap and gown and whatever other medals/tassles that they earned academically. The examples they cited were people who traditionally had big garlands of flowers around their necks. It's fine before and after the ceremony to wear whatever you want with the cap and gown, but during the actual ceremony they want the students to all receive the same amount of attention, they don't want a bunch of people standing out from the rest.

BigGunz90
10-11-08, 08:41 AM
I didn't know you can graduate Boot before you high school graduation?

BR34
10-11-08, 08:48 AM
Nope. Still ain't clicking for me. I'm not sure what uniform you are referring to. If you're referring to the cap and gown, I guess that would make him out of uniform... but there really isn't a reason to disallow him from wearing HIS uniform...

Are you ****ing serious?!?!

If the ceremony's uniform is a cap and gown, and he's in his Blues he would have been out of uniform (the appropriate uniform being cap/gown). He would have, as the Salty Cpl put it, stuck out like a turd in a punch bowl.

MarinesFTW
10-11-08, 09:13 AM
Yah this video ticked me off... I have a set course with my school that if i graduate early like i plan and go to boot on the time i want... i will be able to graduate in my dress blues.. :)

PS: big guns... you can graduate high school a semester early by taking some classes during the summer its not that hard really, im doing it and then all you do is go to boot camp and come back and mabe in time for your schools graduation ceremony.

jetdoc
10-11-08, 09:23 AM
Over the years as my kids graduated from high school and we'd go to the ceremonies we would see the kids walk up and get their diploma and then lift up their gown to expose their USMC shirts or jackets, etc. as they walked by.

They always got a hoot and a holla. Pretty cool.