PDA

View Full Version : 3rd MP Bn

MJSweeney
10-09-08, 09:03 PM
Is there anyone out there who served in the 3rd MP Bn in RSV 1967-68, Did I imagine that I served withnthem as I never read much aboutn them. Great outfit, lots of great memories.
Sweeney_m@hotmail.com

ggyoung
10-10-08, 12:59 PM
MJSweeney=====-----I was with 3rd MP's in 1970. Was with A CO. NCOIC of Bravo Block Max security.

MJSweeney
10-11-08, 08:13 AM
MJSweeney=====-----I was with 3rd MP's in 1970. Was with A CO. NCOIC of Bravo Block Max security.
Hello Gunny
Nice to hear from you, Did the 3rd MP's remain with their name or change to the 1st as I previously heard. I went back to the site a few years ago and it is now a Military Base, we could only drive by it and stop to look, the Hills look exactly the same (Hill 327) brings back fond memories.
Regards
Mike sweeney

ggyoung
10-11-08, 07:39 PM
MJSweeney=======I am not a Gunny but was and still is or are a Sgt. But thanks for the promoting. I joined 3rd. MP's around the last of Aprail 1970. As you know at that time MP's were a tempery MOS. The 1st MarDiv wanted NCO's who had worked the brig or who had Marine Barracks duty before that time. I had been stationed at Marine Barracks Hawthorne, Nev. So that is were I went. I stayed with them until the US Army came up from LBJ Vietnam and took over the brig. We chased all the Marine brig rats to El-Torro, Calif. This was in the last part of Aug. 1970. The USAF flew us home in a C-140. I think that 3rd MP's was disbanded then.

SGT7477
10-11-08, 08:27 PM
That was a good one Marine them rockers sure would have been nice, Semper FI.

MJSweeney
10-12-08, 05:51 PM
Hey Sgt Youing,
Brig Rats, that made me laugh...I'll never forget one of them wrote in a few years ago and actually was fond of the fact that he was a Brig Rat in the old days. I have an old article about My old Lt who was a Maverick who took over the Brig and then Camp Pendleton in Calif when he returned. He retired and then became the Commissioner Of Corrections in Maryland, very interesting regarding the 3rd MP's, if you have a Fax let me know the number and I'll fax it to you, His name is Lt. Braxton, African American who had a remarkle history with the USMC.
Regards
Mike Sweney

Zebra29er
10-25-08, 03:25 PM
"Take me to the Brig. I want to see the "real Marines". "
Major General Chesty Puller, USMC - while on a Battalion inspection.

ggyoung
11-02-08, 05:38 PM
Zebra29er============These were brig rats not MARINES. There were rats that were in for somking pot on OP and LP. They were in for sleeping on OP and LP. They were in for killing fellow MARINES. This trash would kill you for 50 cents. You know and I know Chesty would not like them. I know Chesty was talking about base brigs and not combat brigs.

Curt Taylor
12-31-10, 10:05 PM
so GGYoung you know each & everyones story & reason for being in the brig & of course they are all beneath you as you must be near perfect.

bravelord1
09-02-11, 09:43 AM
Is there anyone out there who served in the 3rd MP Bn in RSV 1967-68, Did I imagine that I served with them as I never read much aboutn them. Great outfit, lots of great memories.
Sweeney_m@hotmail.com
I served with 3MP Battalion, A co., from Jan 67' (Pendleton) to Dec 68'. Boarded USS Maggoffin in SD, May 67', got to Danang and replaced 1st MP's. Were you in PI, Plt. 3084? Name sounds familiar.

bub8fly
09-05-11, 09:38 PM
Is there anyone out there who served in the 3rd MP Bn in RSV 1967-68, Did I imagine that I served withnthem as I never read much aboutn them. Great outfit, lots of great memories.
Sweeney_m@hotmail.com
semipre fi
my friend i got to nam with the 3rd mp batt in early 67,i was assigned to the POW compoud guarding 10 nva's i only lasted two weeks and our 1st sgt send me to line company cause i was a short timer in Nam, my friend that i remmeber was last name of Farris frm Missippi and a also richard gardner frm conn, that was sent to lanuage school in Coranado Island??................ my nickname was sgt pepe... later

Mongoose
09-06-11, 09:48 AM
so GGYoung you know each & everyones story & reason for being in the brig & of course they are all beneath you as you must be near perfect.
Curt Taylor, can you see good? Guy said, Marines smoking pot and sleeping on OP and LP. If you had been in Nam, you would know they put Marines life on the line, when doing that.

Phil03
05-26-12, 02:09 PM
I just saw this post. I was with the 3rd MP Battalion from when it was formed in early '67. We were in the Feb. replacement draft and were just about to go to Nam. I think I was in Bravo Co. Was assigned to the pow compound in Danang. Was there only a couple of days and was transfered with 4 others to 1st MP Bn. That lasted only over night, next morning we were sent to the grunts. Fox 2/5

Bill Funk
04-10-14, 11:29 AM
What was the actual name of the Marine base where there was a POW prison and a prison for brig rats? I believe it was at the base of Hill 327 in 1969. (I was there '69-'70) I also think it was the 3rd MP Battalion HQS. Maybe 5 clicks out of DaNang. There was also a Dog Platoon there and ITT (Interrogator Translator Teams) there. Nearby was a 105mm Battery. Patrols sent out every night up the mountain. I tried to locate it in DaNang a few years back, but could not find it. Thanks & Semper Fi
bill

Phil03
05-18-14, 06:22 PM
I

DBarr
07-22-14, 11:33 PM
Sgt Young I worked with you!

DBarr
07-22-14, 11:34 PM
Sgt I gorgot was that down by the Dog Kennels?

DBarr
07-22-14, 11:37 PM
I think it was Alpha Co I was with...too many years hve passed I just found this site by mistake...just was trying to find 3rd mp bn...

Nitrox Bob
08-04-14, 09:38 AM
Bill Funk,
I believe what you're looking for is 3rd MAF Brig and POW Compound.
3rd MP's formed and trained in Camp Pendleton, then shipped to Nam on APA-199, the USS McGoffin.

RICEPADDYDADDY
08-24-14, 08:44 PM
Hey Curt Taylor......do you ever miss those conex boxes ?

vinceward
10-22-14, 06:31 PM
I came over from Pendleton on the ship in '67, and ran the radio repair shop for a while. I don't remember the place having a name, but every place else was "the world," as in, "I wonder what's happening back in the world?"

vinceward
10-22-14, 06:45 PM
see here for pix:
http://www.docping.com/files/Leatherneck_Mag-Ping.pdf

Myron Timmons
11-09-14, 06:21 PM
Hello, I was Sgt. Timmons, assigned to C- 3rd MPs, we were attached to 1st MP Battalion, DaNang VN. C- had DaNang River Bridge Security. I was in-country from Oct 67 to May 68. Our First Shirt was Ayala, Gunny Conners, I was the Admin Chief. Cpl Killian and LCpl Leri were also in the office with me. Our Capt. was Lt. Moriarty. That about all I remember right now. Would like to hear from those that remember me.

larry778
11-05-15, 10:23 AM
Was with 3rd in '68. Trying to find anyone who might have contact info on Lt's. Melton & Leonard. Served with Melton at FLC before transferring to #rd and Lt Leonard save my ass on Aug 23 1968.

Puorro
03-06-19, 10:43 AM
What was the actual name of the Marine base where there was a POW prison and a prison for brig rats? I believe it was at the base of Hill 327 in 1969. (I was there '69-'70) I also think it was the 3rd MP Battalion HQS. Maybe 5 clicks out of DaNang. There was also a Dog Platoon there and ITT (Interrogator Translator Teams) there. Nearby was a 105mm Battery. Patrols sent out every night up the mountain. I tried to locate it in DaNang a few years back, but could not find it. Thanks & Semper Fi
bill

I was assigned to the POW platoon from aug.1968 to may 1970.Yes you are correct it was located at the base of hill 327(the opposite side of the mountain of the px.) It was located next to the ammo dump that blew up.
Cpl. Bob Puorro email "thewaterfrontman@comcast.net"

Puorro
03-06-19, 10:48 AM
I was assigned to the POW platoon from aug.1968 to may 1970.Yes you are correctit was located at the base of hill 327(the opposite side of the mountain of the px).It was located next to the ammo dump that blew up. My superiors were Lt. Freemantle and Lt. Danny Cross.
Semper Fi!

Cpl. Bob Puorro e-mail "thewaterfrontman@comcast.net"

ggyoung
06-22-20, 06:52 PM
Happy valley brig

gkmoz
06-23-20, 07:26 AM
Was with 3rd in '68. Trying to find anyone who might have contact info on Lt's. Melton & Leonard. Served with Melton at FLC before transferring to #rd and Lt Leonard save my ass on Aug 23 1968.

Aug.23,1968 is the day I stepped on the yellow footprints at P.I. :)