PDA

View Full Version : Joining the Marines on a medical waiver--Hernia

SStrickland
10-09-08, 03:28 PM
Hello Marines, thanks for serving!

I am having an issue with my enlistment that I'm hoping someone might be able to help me resolve.

I have been to MEPS twice now to join the Air Force (I'll get to the point). The first time they temporarily DQ'd me for a lump in my groin area, the 2nd time was for a medical consult in which they permanently DQ'd me since we now know its a hernia.

The CMO basically told me, "Tough break guy, but there is a program for Marines enlistees in which they will fix your hernia for free if you sign on with them". Sure enough I went to speak with the Marines liason after and he confirmed that this program exists but didnt have much information on it.

Does anyone know anything about this program, or is there anyone here who has made use of it? I dont have insurance and cant really fix my hernia out of pocket, but I really want to do my part for our country.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

yellowwing
10-09-08, 03:35 PM
Some one will step up shortly no doubt. Meanwhile fill in your Member Profile. Its what we ask of everone who posts.

FLRULZURSHPSCKS
10-09-08, 03:47 PM
This isn't just some job you pick because of medical benefits. If you wanted to join the Marine Corps you would have instead of waiting for the chair force to tell you no Go away.

0231Marine
10-10-08, 07:12 AM
This isn't just some job you pick because of medical benefits. If you wanted to join the Marine Corps you would have instead of waiting for the chair force to tell you no Go away.

Pretty much what he said! I'm really not inclined to aid you in your effort to become a Marine if 1) you're choosing it as a default option because the Air Force wouldn't take you and 2) you're only interested in becoming a Marine now because then you can get your hernia operation. How the heck are you going to make it through bootcamp with a hernia anyways? You'll never make it through MEPS. I suggest you find a job that has health benefits and get the hernia taken care of, then go back to the Air Force and follow your dream...becuase that's what you're doing right now is dreaming!