PDA

View Full Version : MOS 4067 - ADA Programmer

JavaProgrammer
10-08-08, 09:22 PM
I am curious what ADA Programming in the Marine Corps is like. Are there Marines on this site that have experience with this MOS? If yes, then what kind of applications do you develop? Are they desktop, server, database, or embedded applications? Do you create new applications or do you mainly maintain old code? What do the applications do and who uses them? If you have civilian experience, then how does programming in the Marine Corps compare to programming in the civilian world? Do you enjoy your MOS? I thank you for your responses.

theWolf
10-19-08, 09:55 AM
I'm a former 4067 who served between 2000-2004.

If yes, then what kind of applications do you develop? Are they desktop, server, database, or embedded applications?I was more on the data side during my time as a 4067. The last two years I did work as a Junior Oracle DBA. All different types of applications would hit our Oracle databases; desktop applications based on Visual Basic, web applications based on Lotus Notes, J2EE, and PL/SQL (Web Tool Kit). Even some small MS Access applications that various shops around the based maintained.

Do you create new applications or do you mainly maintain old code?The Marine developers around the shop split their time developing new applications and maintaining older ones. The new stuff was mostly in Java & PL/SQL while the older stuff was VB, Lotus Notes, & MS Access.

What do the applications do and who uses them? The isn't all we worked on but the Manpower & Reserve website was one of the websites the Marines at Quantico had their hands in while I was stationed there and after I left. It's basically a mixture of Java & PL/SQL portlets that live in an Oracle Portal Application environment.

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/

If you have civilian experience, then how does programming in the Marine Corps compare to programming in the civilian world? Do you enjoy your MOS?The time I spent in the MC as a 4067 was a building block to the skills I have now. Even though I was an amateur then; I was given bigger responsibilities as time went on after I showed a level of competence in the technology I was assigned to. The shop went more formal as time went on as well. The Software Development Life Cycle was introduced and Marines were given different assignments. Some were requirements gatherers, other developers, some were designers and others DBAs such as myself. We did, however, work very closely with skilled civilian contractors who were basically our mentors and took the bulk of the harder work.

I guess you could say I was pretty successful after I got out. I got out making $72,500 a year and worked for several government contractors in the DC area. I hadn't even finished my BS yet (I finished it in 2006). When I got out, I switched from being a DBA to a Java Web Programmer. I'm now in the $100,000 range, live in Texas and start working on my masters degree in the spring of 2009 with the help of the GI Bill. I'm not trying to brag or anything. I'm just saying that I wouldn't be where I am today without my time in the Marine Corps as a 4067 coupled with a very dedicated mind set.

I'll finish saying your development work might not be as hardcore as it would be in the civilian world but your gaining a whole different skill set many employers yearn for, skills you'll only learn as Marine (Leadership, Integrity, etc ). Even though your primary job will be working on developing or supporting critical applications; you'll always be a Marine first and you will have to maintain your skills as a basic riflemen.

Good Luck.

sparkie
10-19-08, 10:25 AM
Over my head,,,,, and I didn't even duck. The last code I wrote was on a Vic 20.

JavaProgrammer
10-22-08, 01:14 PM
Thank you, theWolf. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Over my head,,,,, and I didn't even duck. The last code I wrote was on a Vic 20.
The VIC-20 was made before I was, so I had to use Google to figure out what it was. Did you use BASIC? That code must have been full of ugly GOTO statements.

sparkie
10-22-08, 02:55 PM
Correct,, Wrote me a tic tac toe program,,,,,Stuff like that wasn't at walmart,,,What walmart? GOTO, ANDOR NOR,

Quinbo
10-22-08, 07:11 PM
I had no idea the Corps still is using ADA Sage, ULLs, Sams, builder etc.

YutYut
10-23-08, 09:57 AM
I didn't know any "ADA" programmers. If I recall correctly, most (all?) of the 40XX bubbas were absorbed into the 06xx field. I was originally slated to be a 4066, but ended up an 0656 after all the changes. Anyway, I think ADA went away looooong ago. The Marine Corps isn't THAT behind the times ;)

theWolf
10-31-08, 09:15 AM
I didn't know any "ADA" programmers. If I recall correctly, most (all?) of the 40XX bubbas were absorbed into the 06xx field. I was originally slated to be a 4066, but ended up an 0656 after all the changes. Anyway, I think ADA went away looooong ago. The Marine Corps isn't THAT behind the times ;)

That's what I thought too yutYut. I know several Marines who had to make the switch to the 0600 field in order to stay in. There were only a few hundred 4067s left when I got out. Your right about ADA, if the Marine Corps used it while I was in. I never heard about it.