PDA

View Full Version : Dog Handler School Here I come!

Fubar5812
10-08-08, 08:09 PM
so i just got back from a week long FTX in the field,our final gauntlet of MP training. we spent ALOT of time (more than any other class this year actually) doing countless IED drills,CQB/room clearing tactics,convoy drills and MOUT in low light and day light conditions. i can say that i feel the training was very good and we had no down time.we slept/ate when we could,we where never given a time too.24 Hr ops and securing a building inside the MOUT town for the night,while under attack by "hajji insurgents" played by MATT Marines (Marines awaiting to pickup in school) alot of blanks,for our M-16's SAW's and 50.cals littered the streets and the police call SUCKED :p

but the best part is that out of 26 applicants 6 of us got selected for dog handler school at lackland airforce base,San Antonio TX. I want too thank those on this board who helped me with my essay and gave me tips on what too put it in it. rumor is the next class doesn't pickup until january....don't know if that is true or not.

so poolees come next friday I will be at lackland and i can give you some insights into dog handler school (as far as i can tell i am the only dog handler on these boards)

i need too take a shower.bad and get some SERIOUS sleep time.goodnight all.

kash
10-08-08, 08:16 PM
Congrats man!

Marine84
10-08-08, 08:16 PM
Cool deal. Make sure you post pics of your first dog.

srinaldo86
10-08-08, 08:20 PM
Congrats! Glad to hear you actually got it. Keep us posted. :D

Fubar08
10-08-08, 09:33 PM
That's awesome. GL.

Do they got pits?

DOWORK1
10-08-08, 10:03 PM
What do you mean you got selected? They just asked who wants to do it? That's cool I just thought you got to be picked at your unit.

Achped
10-08-08, 10:46 PM
Why are you posting in the poolee forum Marine? You rate the squad bay, use it.

Hologram
10-09-08, 12:42 AM
Why are you posting in the poolee forum Marine? You rate the squad bay, use it.Congrats on the promotion, Cpl.

And congrats, PFC.

Wyoming
10-09-08, 02:18 AM
Why are you posting in the poolee forum Marine? You rate the squad bay, use it.

so poolees come next friday I will be at lackland and i can give you some insights into dog handler school (as far as i can tell i am the only dog handler on these boards)

Answer given??

Achped
10-09-08, 10:16 AM
Alright cool, so can I give poolees insights to a deployment to Iraq as a Lance Corporal? Or only so as long as its positive and a facade is it alright to post in here?

Fubar08
10-09-08, 01:13 PM
I saw this pic on another website and figured it was relivant so Im posting it cause its kool. 25th Marines MAR memorial honoring fallen K9s from the Pacific theatre....Poor Pepper :(

Brewer0311
10-09-08, 02:29 PM
Alright cool, so can I give poolees insights to a deployment to Iraq as a Lance Corporal? Or only so as long as its positive and a facade is it alright to post in here?

What on the travel from the US to Kuwait? lol You haven't been there but a minute.

Fubar5812
10-09-08, 06:36 PM
achped I believe i am the only Marine attending dog school that uses these forums regulary,i have already gotten 2 PM's from poolees/Marine friends with questions hence i posted it here for them too read. congrats on the promotion :)

when i started MP school they asked who wanted K-9 26 of us raised us our hands,we where told too write an essay about why we wanted it. i wrote a 5 page essay and with the help of jarheadlady and some others on this forum i corrected it and sent it in.

the essays where scanned and e-mailed too the dog school with recommendations from our instructors,as well as copies of our PFT,rifle score and if we had any NJP's/reserve status (reservists cannot be dog handlers) they sent back there choices.

word is the school is backed up so i'm gonna try and get RA and get Lcpl with some referrals.

Achped
10-10-08, 10:48 AM
lol Brewer, I was just using it as an example. But the airport in Germany did sell "Eve's" in the bathroom. You know today the AC was out in the office, it was horrible, I don't get paid enough! lolololol j/k

Walling, I'm glad and applaud you for helping out poolees, God knows alot of them need it and being a dog handler is pretty cool, there are military working dogs here in Iraq and the Lance coolies can get them to do some crazy ass ****! The discipline those dogs have is amazing.

Don't mind me for giving you a hard time about posting in the poolee hall, however do know that you can chat with other Marines in the squad bay about this sort of stuff now. Maybe you will find someone who's been there and done that that can actually help you out while you continue to help out poolees.

Fubar5812
10-10-08, 12:13 PM
good to go corporal,i have tried too find any info from other handlers on these forums,but alas to no avail. they only graduated 100 Marine dog handlers a year out of lackland,so it's a small MOS.

not smaller than refrigator mechanic though :P

rb1651
10-11-08, 10:54 AM
Cwalling, congrats on getting selected to Dog Handler School!!! My Dad was a dog handler in the Air Force for 22 years, and he was an instructor at the school for eight years. While you are there make sure you go to the War Dog Memorial. There you will find a statue of Nemo, the famous War Dog of Viet Nam. I had the priviledge of meeting this fine animal when he was still alive after he was retired to Lackland due to injuries he had received while saving his handlers life. I was also present when he was buried with full Military honors in 1973. There were literally hundreds of handlers and their dogs there. A sight and ceremony I will never forget. :cry:

Fubar5812
10-11-08, 12:48 PM
i've seen a few photos of the memorial but i will most definetly be checking it out,i've never been to texas so i'll be doing alot of sight seeing/exploring around the base waiting for my class to pickup.

Rossco
10-11-08, 01:08 PM
You will have a lot of fun in Texas.

Fubar5812
10-19-08, 10:44 AM
so i'm here at lackland AFB.the K-9 school is backed up,not by much only about a month or so.alot of people are getting RA and there telling us it is very likely we will get the chance to get RA and go home until the week we pickup,which is nice because i'm looking to get LCPL.

this place is FULL of stuff to do,nothing like fort leonardwood.

rvillac2
10-19-08, 11:08 AM
Congrats, PFC. Dreams do come true. lol.

Fubar5812
10-19-08, 10:03 PM
that they do sergeant! who'da thunk it?

rvillac2
10-19-08, 10:47 PM
Well, getting your dream MOS is the first step in becoming a Lifer. lol.
Enjoy your career.

FLRULZURSHPSCKS
10-20-08, 12:15 AM
Make sure you stay outa trouble with all that time off, you're gettin to do what you like don't mess it up.

Fubar5812
10-21-08, 08:10 PM
my PTAD just came through so i'm going home oct 31-nov 30th to help out around the recruiter office and see the family/girl.

there's no way i'll mess this up,i plan on making the most of my time here and learning as much as possible about dog handler,maybe go for SSD when the time comes. i pickup december 1st so i'll clue poolees in on what the training is like.

i'll say this,being on an AFB with only 60+ Marines makes you realize how different we truly are from the other services. there chow halls are AMAZING too,you don't even clear your own tray!

Brewer0311
10-21-08, 08:23 PM
there chow halls are AMAZING too,you don't even clear your own tray!

:scared:

Enigmatic
10-22-08, 10:44 AM
Hell yeah, we used to hit up Langley when I was in VA for their chow hall. I had orders once to Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, TX but had to cank them when I knocked up my girl and had to extend on island.

Anyways, enjoy the good life while you can!

Achped
10-24-08, 11:43 PM
I go to Hickam AFB alllllll the time, cute girls, and they have TWO PX's!!! TWO! Its ridiculous! Go visit their "Dorms" while you're there lol. You'll see what I'm talking about, flat screen TVs, no field days, all that BS.

MWDHandler
11-29-08, 04:54 PM
Congrats on getting Canine! Its a big responsibility that few will ever get to experience. I went to through the Handlers Course in 2000. I'm sure some things have changed but if you have any questions let me know! Good Luck Marine :usmc:

brian21johansen
11-29-08, 05:12 PM
Yea Lackland is AMAZING. I was there for corrections school. Make sure you go out to town and do some stuff while your there too.....go to the River Walk and there's a place called "Cowboys"..........make sure you go there it's a real good time. It's some country bar but they always have famous country singers there and bull riding and stuff. If you wanna meet hot air force girls go to the bowling alley but don't get in trouble by messing with the ones who are still "in training". ;)

Just wondering.....how many Marines are there going to corrections school?

Cogito Ergo Sum
03-25-09, 04:23 PM
Hi Cwalling, I just received my MOS two weeks ago and wanted to know what I should put in the essay that gets you picked for Dog handler. I find it to be a really interesting field under MP and Corrections.
Also thank you for all your post. I really enjoy reading them they def. keep me motivated.

MarinesFTW
03-25-09, 11:31 PM
Write your own dam essay and ask for corrections, dont just ask him for the answers!

Fubar5812
03-27-09, 10:57 PM
theyll tell you what they want the essay to be about and how they want it written.worry about earning the title before worrying about dog handler.

Ebonilla
04-26-09, 02:10 PM
hey man how you doing ,

I'm Pfc. Bonilla, and I'm going to MP school now at the hell hole in missouri.

but hey I saw you wrote an easy about the MWD program,

I was just gonna ask what did you write about and some Questions about training?

Ebonilla
04-26-09, 02:16 PM
OK cool thanks man,
I just wanted to get a head start on it

and i wasn't asking him to write it for me,

Fubar5812
04-28-09, 02:11 AM
relax,the posts go in DESCENDING order.he was referring too another guy that posted before you.

ours was why you think you should be a dog handler,i wrote about my experience in working at a veterinary hospital and animal daycare facilities. yours might be different though.the board is where you really need to excel though,my class didn't have a board for whatever reason.