PDA

View Full Version : Any Insurance Experts Aboard?

crate78
10-08-08, 09:07 AM
I'm losing the Blue Cross/Blue Shield I had through my wife's employer because she retired. I've been signed up for Medicare A since I turned 65, and I'm signing up for Medicare B.

I'm currently rated at 40% by the VA, I live 25 miles from an outstanding VA outpatient cinic, and 75 miles from an excellent VA hospital. I'm signed up and entered into the system at the VA clinic with my own assigned doctor. A VA rep at the clinic indicated this is all I need, but I'm wondering if I need a supplementary policy of some sort to fill in any gaps that might occur. The VA rep did alert me to the fact that there is a loophole where if I went to a civilian ER under certain circumstances I could get caught for the bill instead of the VA paying it.

Does anyone more knowledgeable about insurance than I have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

crate

davblay
10-08-08, 09:23 AM
I'm losing the Blue Cross/Blue Shield I had through my wife's employer because she retired. I've been signed up for Medicare A since I turned 65, and I'm signing up for Medicare B.

I'm currently rated at 40% by the VA, I live 25 miles from an outstanding VA outpatient cinic, and 75 miles from an excellent VA hospital. I'm signed up and entered into the system at the VA clinic with my own assigned doctor. A VA rep at the clinic indicated this is all I need, but I'm wondering if I need a supplementary policy of some sort to fill in any gaps that might occur. The VA rep did alert me to the fact that there is a loophole where if I went to a civilian ER under certain circumstances I could get caught for the bill instead of the VA paying it.

Thanks in advance.

crate

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a Insurance man of any kind, however, you have all the coverage you should need in case of any medical situation. The VA will pay for any ER Visit that is for any of your Service connected disabilities. That is they will keep you there at the ER until you are stable enouth to transfer to the VA, if you want VA Hospital to treat you. The choice is yours, as Medicare will pay for the same illness at a private hospital as well.

There are a lot of variables, so I would suggest you talk to a Service Officer of one of our many Service Organization, the VFW, American Legion, Disabled Vets, etc., they shoud be able to put you in touch with the right people.

Dave

Ed Palmer
10-08-08, 10:00 AM

Thanks in advance.

crate

Crate you are in the same boat as I am 40% VA disabled and I live 35 miles from the VA,
BC&BS doesnt cost that much I have both MC & BC & BS
there has been times that I had to go to a Civ, Hospital
and the V A wouldnt cover the expense so as you were taught in the Military S M A or save your asx.
Ed

sscjoe
10-08-08, 10:02 AM
Don't know if this helps, my Dad is retired military so he has tricare. I know that before he was on medicare he had supplemental insurance through AARP.

crate78
10-08-08, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the responses. Thinking on it, I recall now that when the VA rep told me basically I was OK, he added that what a lot of vets to is take out a basic private policy with a high deductible to prevent a major catastrophe.

crate

darkgreen0311
10-09-08, 10:47 PM
Crate 78 my best friend who was in my unit, he's an insurance man. If you need some info PM me, and i'll let you know what he said.

:marine:SEMPER FI 4 LIFE

ecom
11-02-08, 04:41 PM
I just left the Marines about 6 months ago after 1 enlistment, and while I do have a job, it's a temporary position so I am not entitled to any benefits from my current employer. The only thing I get is the hours I work.

Just to cover myself, I am buying health insurance through Blue Cross with a reasonable deductible. I wanted to get HSA plan, but I could not justify the additional cost. What I have a is a $1500 deductible with additional $2500 out of pocket expenses so the max I'll pay out in one year would be $4000. It also does not cover brand name prescriptions. This runs me about $70/month and I don't have other health coverage. There are lower priced plans, but I chose this price point after weighing cost versus benefits.

I believe Blue Shield has a plan called Vital which was a very good balance of price versus benefits (as long as you use network providers) and cost less than the plan I ended up buying.

By no means am I an insurance man, it just happens that I looked into a lot of things and asked a lot of questions having reacently bought a health insurance plan recently.

oldtop
11-03-08, 09:23 AM
First: If you are rated at 40%, VA will cover you for service connected disabilities ONLY... file for an increase.. at 50% you will be covered for any disability, regardless of cause.
Second: If you have to go to a civillian or private hospital for a service connected disability...DO NOT give the hospital ANY Mecicare/Medicaid information what so ever!!! If you do, and the hospital bills Medicare..the VA WILL NOT pick up any portion of the bill. Seems that the VA cannot pay if Medicare pays. If your treatment is for a non service connected disability and you are rated under 50% go with medicare, if you are over 50%, go with the VA. Give the hospital your VA ID card if going with VA.

crate78
11-08-08, 08:57 PM
Again, thanks for the responses. I found out Blue Cross has a supplemental plan that covers the gaps and includes prescription meds for $59 per month. I'm going with that and Medicair.

Also, I think I have grounds to file for an increased rating. I'll discuss it with my local VA Service Officer. He's young, but he's sharp and he knows the right people.

crate