PDA

View Full Version : Local Marine Has Bond With War Hero

thedrifter
10-08-08, 07:55 AM
Local Marine Has Bond With War Hero
by Mike Hedeen
Published Oct 07, 2008

Sunday marks 41 years since Cpl. William Perkins was killed in action in Vietnam. The Penfield native was serving as a Marine combat photographer when he died.

Perkins was born in Rochester August 10, 1947. His family moved to California when Bill was a kid.

On October 12, 1967, just three months into his first tour, Perkins was filming heavy combat with the North Vietnamese Army. When an enemy grenade landed near Perkins and three others, Perkins threw himself on the grenade saving the lives of his fellow Marines.

"Even though his family is no longer here people remember,” said Rochester veteran Charlie Rabidoux. “And if they don't I have it on the wall here."

Rabidoux has owned a military store on Stone Road in Greece for more than 20 years. He has a wall dedicated to local veterans who earned the Congressional Medal of Honor. To this day, Perkins remains the only combat photographer to receive the military's highest honor.

"I feel pretty proud,” Rabidoux said. “I was a Marine myself so you know what a guy has to go through to do something like that. It takes guts."

Nearly 41 years after his death, Cpl. Perkins is forever connected with another local marine from a different generation.

Former Sgt. Brian Henner of Hamlin was a combat videographer in Iraq. Video of a firefight Henner shot in Anbar Province earned him the Marine Videographer of the Year Award. It is an achievement named in Perkins’ honor.

"I didn't know he was from here but we definitely learned his history in our MOS school,” Henner explained. “He was the only combat photographer to receive the Medal of Honor. That's the highest honor you can receive in the United States Military."

Brian recently learned of the Rochester connection and another much closer than the award that bears Perkins' name.

"My grandmother actually went to school with his mother and that's how I found out. She said, `I know his mother.’ I had no idea he was from the same area."

Henner says it's an honor to have a bond with a true war hero who gave his life to save others.

"It's pretty special to be even closely compared to someone like that,” Henner said. “I know he did a lot more than I did but to be even mentioned with the same name is pretty special."

Brian continues his service here in Rochester. He is studying criminal justice at MCC and hopes to become a New York State Trooper.

Ellie