PDA

View Full Version : Modern Day Marine golf tournament preludes Expo

thedrifter
10-08-08, 07:41 AM
MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va. — The Modern Day Marine Golf Tournament was held Monday at the Medal of Honor Golf Course on Marine Corps Base Quantico to coincide with the annual exposition.

Retired Gen. Al Gray, the 29th Commandant of the Marine Corps, and actor R. Lee Ermey, known notably for his roles in the 1987 movie ‘‘Full Metal Jacket” and the History Channel’s ‘‘Mail Call,” co-hosted the tournament.

‘‘This golf tournament is a very important event for (both organizations,) Gray said. ‘‘It’s all for a very good purpose, so we hope everybody has a good time.”

The tournament, now in its second year, was held to provide vendors at the three-day expo a casual atmosphere to interact with the Marines who use their products, and to support the Young Marines of the Marine Corps League, the physical fitness program of the U.S. Marines’ Youth Foundation.

‘‘Everybody loves golf,” said Michael Kessler, national director and chief executive officer of the Young Marines, on why the organizers chose golf. ‘‘And people who don’t have a chance to participate in tournament-like events because they are on the road traveling ... as part of the defense industry, they’re already here for Modern Day Marine.”

National Executive Director of the Marine Corps League Michael Blum said the tournament was scheduled before the expo to give everyone a refreshing break before the pressure of the expo begins. Success from the first year gave them a reason to organize it once again this year.

‘‘They had a great time,” Blum said about last year’s tournament. ‘‘These companies made a major commitment when they flew trailers full of merchandize here to put up and sell and for somebody to have the equipment. So it’s just some way to give them a positive (experience).”

Blum said the tournament was organized with the vendors as the nucleus, and then advertized to the Marine Corps community. The idea was to pair the vendors with Marines, who could share their opinions or ask questions informally before the expo started. Blum said also having Gray and Ermey boosted the interest in the tournament.

‘‘I figure if there’s anybody around that can help them out, it would be me,” said Ermey, a former Marine Corps, drill instructor of the Young Marines. ‘‘Why would I ask anybody else to do it when I’m perfectly capable myself?

‘‘I have vested interest in the Young Marines,” added Ermey, of the organization, which he’s been the spokesperson for seven years. ‘‘It’s a great youth group. It’s the older Marines giving proper guidance and leadership to young people and I can’t think of a better group of people than us.”

After the pre-tournament speech from Ermey and Gray, Mike Bessette, the assistant golf pro manager of the Medal of Honor Golf Course explained the rules to the players before Ermey led the way to tee-off.

The tournament wrapped up with a luncheon on the outside deck by the golf house, where prizes were awarded to individual winners and the top teams of the day.