PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Message 2008

thedrifter
10-08-08, 07:31 AM
Birthday Message 2008
New Release

The Commandant and Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps wish Marines a happy birthday and talk about the Corps' long war with terrorism.

<iframe src='http://marines.feedroom.com/linking/index.jsp?skin=oneclip&ehv=http://www.marines.mil/news/Pages/marinestv.aspx&fr_story=f95139757a6d2e02df5ee80e83ef11cfd00a65b8&rf=ev&hl=true' width=322 height=277 scrolling='no' frameborder=0 marginwidth=0 marginheight=0></iframe>

Ellie

thedrifter
10-09-08, 02:51 PM
2008 Marine Corps Birthday Ball

DVD Information

All requests for a DVD of the commandant's 2008 birthday message from Marine Corps units should be directed to your nearest Combat Visual Information Center (CVIC).

Each of the Recruiting district headquarters will receive a master video to be dubbed for distribution to their respective recruiting stations and substations.

Recruiting stations and recruiting substations shall forward requests for the DVD to their respective district headquarters. Inspector-instructor units forward requests to Marine Forces Reserve, New Orleans, LA. Marine Embassy Security Group detachments forward requests to Marine Corps Embassy Security Group, Marine Corps base Quantico, VA.

HQMC DivPA Community Relations will distribute DVDs to the following headquarters of Veteran’s Service Organizations, Marine Corps League, American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars. Requests for DVDs from local chapters should be referred to their respective headquarters for copies of the DVD.

Recorded music.

Download traditional birthday ball music. Instructions on how to create compact discs are included.

Marine Hymn

From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli,
We fight our country's battles in the air, on land and sea.
First to fight for right and freedom, and to keep our honor clean;
We are proud to claim the title of United States Marine.

Our Flag's unfurled to every breeze from dawn to setting sun.
We have fought in every clime and place, where we could take a gun.
In the snow of far off northern lands and in sunny tropic scenes,
You will find us always on the job, the United States Marines.

Here's health to you and to our Corps, which we are proud to serve.
In many a strife we've fought for life and never lost our nerve.
If the Army and the Navy ever look on heaven's scenes,
they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines.

The Marines Prayer

Almighty Father, whose command is over all and whose love never fails, make me aware of Thy presence and obedient to Thy will. Keep me true to my best self, guarding me against dishonesty in purpose in deed and helping me to live so that I can face my fellow Marines, my loved ones and Thee without shame or fear. Protect my family. Give me the will to do the work of a Marine and to accept my share of responsibilities with vigor and enthusiasm. Grant me the courage to be proficient in my daily performance. Keep me loyal and faithful to my superiors and to the duties my country and the Marine Corps have entrusted to me. Make me considerate of those committed to my leadership. Help me to wear my uniform with dignity, and let it remind me daily of the traditions which I must uphold. If I am inclined to doubt; steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me courage to try again. Guide me with the light of truth and grant me wisdom by which I may understand the answer to my prayer. Amen.

http://www.marines.mil/usmc/Pages/2008MarineCorpsBirthdayBall.aspx

Ellie

fontman
10-11-08, 10:01 AM
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY MESSAGE - 10 NOVEMBER 2008

Date Signed: 10/10/2008
ALMAR Number: 042/08
R 082000z OCT 08
ALMAR 042/08
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC CMC//
SUBJ/UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY MESSAGE - 10 NOVEMBER 2008//
POC/SSGT M. BELL/ADMIN CHIEF/UNIT:CMC STAFF GROUP/-
/TEL: (703) 614-2326//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. DURING THE SUMMER OF 1982, IN THE WAKE OF A
PRESIDENTIAL DIRECTIVE, MARINES WENT ASHORE AT BEIRUT, LEBANON.
FIFTEEN MONTHS LATER, ON 23 OCTOBER 1983, EXTREMISTS STRUCK THE
FIRST MAJOR BLOW AGAINST AMERICAN FORCES - STARTING THIS LONG WAR ON TERRORISM. ON THAT SUNDAY MORNING, A SUICIDE BOMBER DROVE AN EXPLOSIVE-LADEN TRUCK INTO THE HEADQUARTERS OF BATTALION LANDING TEAM 1/8, DESTROYING THE BUILDING AND KILLING 241 MARINES AND CORPSMEN.
2. EXTREMISTS HAVE ATTACKED OUR NATION, AT HOME AND ABROAD,
NUMEROUS TIMES SINCE THAT FATEFUL DAY IN BEIRUT. THEIR AIM HAS
ALWAYS BEEN THE SAME - TO KILL AS MANY INNOCENT AMERICANS AS
POSSIBLE. THE ATTACKS OF 11 SEPTEMBER 2001 CHANGED OUR NATION
FOREVER, AND OUR PRESIDENT HAS RESOLVED THAT THIS NATION WILL NOT
STAND IDLE WHILE MURDEROUS TERRORISTS PLOT THEIR NEXT STRIKE.
MARINES WILL CONTINUE TO TAKE THE FIGHT TO THE ENEMY - HITTING THEM ON THEIR OWN TURF, CRUSHING THEM WHEN THEY SHOW THEMSELVES, AND FINDING THEM WHERE THEY HIDE.
3. ONLY A FEW AMERICANS CHOOSE THE DANGEROUS, BUT NECESSARY, WORK OF FIGHTING OUR NATION'S ENEMIES. WHEN OUR CHAPTER OF HISTORY IS WRITTEN, IT WILL BE A SAGA OF A SELFLESS GENERATION OF MARINES WHO WERE WILLING TO STAND UP AND FIGHT FOR OUR NATION; TO DEFEND THOSE WHO COULD NOT DEFEND THEMSELVES; TO THRIVE ON THE HARDSHIP AND SACRIFICE EXPECTED OF AN ELITE WARRIOR CLASS; TO MARCH TO THE SOUND OF THE GUNS; AND TO ABLY SHOULDER THE LEGACY OF THOSE MARINES WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE.
4. ON OUR 233RD BIRTHDAY, FIRST REMEMBER THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED AND THOSE "ANGELS" WHO HAVE FALLEN - OUR REPUTATION WAS BUILT ON THEIR SACRIFICES. REMEMBER OUR FAMILIES; THEY ARE THE UNSUNG HEROES WHOSE SUPPORT AND DEDICATION ALLOW US TO ANSWER OUR NATION'S CALL. FINALLY, TO ALL MARINES AND SAILORS, KNOW THAT I AM PROUD OF YOU AND WHAT YOU DO. YOUR SUCCESSES ON THE BATTLEFIELD HAVE ONLY ADDED TO OUR ILLUSTRIOUS HISTORY. GENERAL VICTOR H. "BRUTE" KRULAK SAID IT BEST WHEN HE WROTE, "... THE UNITED STATES DOES NOT NEED A MARINE CORPS ... THE UNITED STATES WANTS A MARINE CORPS." YOUR ACTIONS, IN IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN, AND ACROSS THE GLOBE, ARE AT THE CORE OF WHY AMERICA LOVES HER MARINES.
5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARINES AND SEMPER FIDELIS! JAMES T. CONWAY,
GENERAL, U.S. MARINE CORPS, COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS//

thedrifter
10-16-08, 06:07 AM
Squared away for the Marine Corps Ball?

10/10/2008 By Lance Cpl. Monica C. Erickson , Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms

MARINE CORPS AIR GROUND COMBAT CENTER TWENTYNINE PALMS, Calif. — The Marine Corps Birthday Ball is just around the corner, and Marine Corps Community Services’ Military Clothing Sales store, Dry Cleaners and Tailor Shop want to make sure every Marine has their uniform squared away before it is too late.

When a Marine waits until the last minute to check their uniform, they run the risk of having an unserviceable uniform or the clothing store running out of their size.

“The Marine Corps Ball is when all the Marines are really publicized,” said Lance Cpl. Geoff Rapp, a mechanic with Tactical Training Exercise Control Group, who got his uniform dry-cleaned early. “It is important to take time and make sure everything is correct so you don’t show up to the ball looking like crap.”

Donna Miller, the Military Clothing Sales store manager, who has been working there since 1984, says she tries to urge Marines to get their uniforms prepared before it is too late, but normally notices Marines in the store trying to buy their entire uniform 10 days before the actual ball.

“Marines should be checking their uniform at least 30 days before they have to wear it,” said Miller, a Twentynine Palms, Calif., native. “That way if they find out they’re missing something or their uniform doesn’t fit, they have time to fix it.”

The Military Clothing Sales store is already running low on men’s enlisted dress blue blouses, staff noncommissioned officer and officer’s evening dress uniform. They

have also begun mounting medals, which takes seven to 10 days to complete.

“It is hard to accommodate the latecomers,” Miller said. “I will call all around the Marine Corps from Barstow [Calif.,] to Hawaii to see if anyone has the item they need, but it is nearly impossible to get it in their size if they come in too late.”

Marines can also take their uniform items to the Military Clothing Sales store or Dry Cleaners and Tailor Shop to ensure they fit properly.

Kyle Smith, a dry cleaning leader at the Dry Cleaners and Tailor Shop, says they are already beginning to get overloaded with ball items.

“It can take up to three weeks for us to complete a uniform depending on what was needed,” said Smith, a Renton, Wash., native.

Although the time is constantly changing, it takes approximately three days to put chevrons or a blood stripe on a uniform, around two weeks for dry cleaning, and three weeks for tailoring and dry cleaning.

“We always try to stress to the Marines to get their uniforms in early,” Smith said. “As soon as October hits we are slammed. Marines end up going to the ball in their alpha’s because they didn’t get their dress blues into us on time.”

Miller constantly gives tips to Marines and sailors’ regarding uniform preparation to ensure their ball goes as smoothly as possible.

“I tell the Marines to make a checklist of everything they need for the ball,” Miller said. “Especially if the ball is far away. You would be surprised how many Marines called our office from Las Vegas last year to see if anybody could take them something they forgot.”

It is important for Marines, who are going to the ball, to square away their uniform and look their best as they celebrate the birth of the Marine Corps.

Ellie

thedrifter
11-06-08, 02:26 PM
The Scout - Camp Pendleton Newspaper - The Camp Pendleton Scout

233rd Marine Corps birthday message released

Written by Gen. James T. Conway Commandant of the Marine Corps

During the summer of 1982, in the wake of a presidential directive, Marines went ashore at Beirut, Lebanon. Fifteen months later, on 23 October 1983, extremists struck the first major blow against American forces - starting this long war on terrorism. On that Sunday morning, a suicide bomber drove an explosive-laden truck into the headquarters of Battalion Landing Team 1/8, destroying the building and killing 241 Marines and corpsmen.
Extremists have attacked our nation, at home and abroad, numerous times since that fateful day in Beirut. Their aim has always been the same - to kill as many innocent Americans as possible. The attacks of 11 September 2001 changed our nation forever, and our president has resolved that this nation will not stand idle while murderous terrorists plan their next strike. Marines will continue to take the fight to the enemy - hitting them on their own turf, crushing them when they show themselves and finding them where they hide.
Only a few Americans choose the dangerous, but necessary, work of fighting our nation's enemies.

When our chapter of history is written, it will be a saga of a selfless generation of Marines who were willing to stand up and fight for our nation; to defend those who could not defend themselves; to thrive on the hardship and sacrifice expected of an elite warrior class; to march to the sound of the guns; and to ably shoulder the legacy of those Marines who have gone before.
On our 233rd birthday, first remember those who have served and those "angels" who have fallen - our reputation was built on their sacrifices. Remember our families; they are the unsung heroes whose support and dedication allow us to answer our nation's call. Finally, to all Marines and sailors, know that I am proud of you and what you do. Your successes on the battlefield have only added to our illustrious history. Lieutenant General Victor H. "Brute" Krulak said it best when he wrote," ... the United States does not need a Marine Corps ... the United States wants a Marine Corps." Your actions, in Iraq and Afghanistan and across the globe, are at the core of why America loves her Marines.

Happy Birthday, Marines!
Semper Fidelis.

thedrifter
11-07-08, 08:45 AM
Happy birthday, U.S. Marines

November 7, 2008

November is again upon us and my mind turns to the upcoming 233rd anniversary of the founding of the United States Marine Corps. It was during 1775, that by a resolution of the Continental Congress, the Marine Corps came into existence. Then as now, young people take the path less traveled and join your Marine Corps. Clean cut and of lean personal appearance, they are barely recognizable as the often unkempt high school or college seniors of the year before.

The Marine Corps' motto is "Semper Fidelis," which is Latin and means "Always Faithful." Your Marines work very hard to bring meaning to that motto. As the season of holidays and family gatherings begins, take a moment to remember that somewhere, away from home and often in harm's way, Marines are on duty.

Nov. 10 is the birthday of the U.S. Marine Corps. Happy birthday, Marines.

R.L. Tedesco

Major USMC (Retired)

Woodbury

thedrifter
11-07-08, 09:22 AM
CAMP PENDLETON CELEBRATES THE MARINE CORPS’ 233RD BIRTHDAY

Written by Camp Pendleton Scout

Even though the base theater lost power, Marines, sailors and honored guests still gathered to remember the history of the Marine Corps and honor the men and women who have served before them, Nov. 4.
The pageant featured Marines describing the importance of key eras while wearing the uniforms of the time. Such eras include the Revolutionary War, Tripoli and the War of 1812, World War I and II, and Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
The 2008 Marine Corps Base and I Marine Expeditionary Force Birthday Pageant commemorating the 233rd birthday of the Marine Corps incorporated Marines from every major command at Camp Pendleton to reflect on the Corps’ achievements and legacies such as the implementation of Marine Corps birthday ceremonies.

The formal commemoration of the birthday of the Marine Corps began Nov. 10, 1921. That particular date was chosen because on that day in 1775 the Second Continental Congress resolved to raise two battalions of Continental Marines.
On Nov. 1, 1921, Maj. Gen. John A. Lejeune issued Marine Corps Order No. 47, Series 1921. The order summarized the history, mission and tradition of the Corps, and directed that it be read to every command Nov. 10 each subsequent year in honor of the birthday of the Marine Corps.
The first so-called “Birthday Ball,” such as suggested by Major McClellan, was probably held in 1925 in Philadelphia. No records have been located of one prior to 1925. The principle event was the unveiling of a tablet on the site of Tun Tavern.
Traditionally, the first piece of birthday cake is presented to the oldest Marine present and the second piece to the youngest Marine present. This passing of the cake symbolizes the uniting of the old with the young.

Ellie

ronr418
11-07-08, 10:06 AM
Marines............ For 233 glorious years of our Corps, Happy Birthday. Semper Fi

thedrifter
11-07-08, 10:27 AM
Happy birthday, U.S. Marine Corps

WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- The Air Force salutes the Marine Corps on its 233nd birthday Nov. 10.

Originally founded on Nov. 10, 1775, the Marine Corps was composed mainly of infantrymen serving aboard Navy ships. They were primarily responsible for the security of the ship, offensive and defensive boarding parties. They also helped protect the ship's officers from mutiny.

In 1921, Marine Gen. John A. Lejeune issued Marine Corps Order No. 47, Series 1921 that directed the history, traditions and mission of the Marine Corps to be read to all Marines on Nov. 10 to honor the service's creation. And in 1925, the first formal Marine Corps Birthday Ball was held in Philadelphia.

Today, the Marines Corps is an amphibious expeditionary force that also support missions from the White House and the State Department.

Semper Fi and happy birthday.

Download Full Image | E-mail a friend
http://www.af.mil/news/story_media.asp?id=123123055

Ellie

thedrifter
11-08-08, 09:36 AM
Highlighting the Corps

The New York Post
November 8, 2008

When it comes to American icons, it’s hard to beat the Empire State Building and the United States Marine Corps.

So why are the folks who run the famous building treating the storied corps so shabbily?

That is, why are they delivering a world-class snub on the occasion of the 233rd anniversary of the corps’ founding, at Tun Tavern in Philadelphia?

Marine tradition holds Nov. 10 in high esteem. The date will be noted all around the world Monday - most especially, in Iraq and Afghanistan.

It’ll even be celebrated in New York, with the city’s first-ever Expeditionary Birthday Ball.

Scheduled to be on hand are 200 Marines from the decorated 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit, now visiting New York aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Bataan.

But when the Corps asked to have the Empire State Building’s iconic tower lit in scarlet and gold to celebrate the occasion, they got a big, fat “No!”

In favor of . . . well, nothing.

The building’s color scheme, of course, changes on nearly a nightly basis. So far this year, it’s been lit up to celebrate the Cat Fancier’s Association’s annual Cat Championship; Mariah Carey’s latest album, and the 58th anniversary of the European Union - just to name a few, er, momentous occasions.

But on Monday, it’ll be bathed in plain ol’ white.

Building officials say an anniversary as obscure as a 233rd doesn’t meet their “standard” for lighting events.

Nothing against cats, or Mariah Carey, but this doesn’t seem quite right.

The fact is, many of the men of the 22nd MEU are in New York for the first time in their lives.

The War on Terror being what it is, it’s likely that some of them won’t be back.

Ever. If you catch our drift.

It’s not too late for the folks at the Empire State Building to do right by the Marine Corps on its birthday.

Marines do right by America, reflexively, every day of the year.

Ellie

thedrifter
11-08-08, 10:51 AM
Landstuhl Marines celebrate birthday

By Steve Mraz, Stars and Stripes
European edition, Saturday, November 8, 2008

LANDSTUHL, Germany — Tradition was upheld Friday afternoon at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center as the U.S. Marine Corps celebrated its 233rd birthday.

A full crowd at Landstuhl’s Heaton Auditorium watched as the Marines paid tribute to their heritage with cake, a video from the Marine Corps commandant and a guest speech.

As is custom, the first piece of cake is presented to the guest of honor. Then, the oldest Marine on hand takes a bite from a piece of cake, which is then passed to the youngest Marine in attendance. On Friday, retired Marine Cpl. Truman "Goody" Goodwin, 73, was the guest of honor and the oldest Marine present.

Before taking the first bite of cake, Goodwin, who has volunteered with the Marine liaison team at Landstuhl, gave a speech.

"I’ve been here now for over four years working for them and working with the people in the hospital, and I feel it’s a great privilege," he said. "To all the Marines, Air Force, Army and Navy, I want to tell you God bless, good luck and Semper Fi."

At 21, Lance Cpl. Johnathon Neumann was the youngest Marine on hand. Neumann, who was serving in Iraq, is an outpatient at Landstuhl. He’s one of nine Marines getting treatment at Landstuhl.

"(The Marine Corps birthday) represents what we are in a way," he said. "It represents our heritage, our honor."

This year’s video birthday message from Gen. James Conway, Marine Corps commandant, and USMC Sgt. Maj. Carlton Kent was a somber reminder of the challenges Marines face against terrorists. It began with a 25-year retrospective on the October 1983 bombing of a Marine barracks in Beirut, Lebanon. The seven-minute video then touched on attacks against American troops and civilians such as the 1996 Khobar Towers bombing in Saudi Arabia, the 2000 U.S.S. Cole bombing in Yemen and the Sept. 11 attacks.

"Standing between our great nation and its ruthless enemy are young Americans with courage and conviction — United States Marines," Conway said in the video. "We are accustomed to rough terrain and even tougher conditions. We have learned to live hard and fight well."

The video closed with a messaged to Marine families, following a militarywide trend of recognizing families strained by constant deployments.

After the formal ceremony ended, the crowd dug into the Marine cake and sipped punch.

The Marine Corps birthday is Monday.

Ellie

thedrifter
11-09-08, 05:59 AM
Happy birthday, Marines
Comments 0 | Recommend 1
November 8, 2008 - 3:11PM
MOLLY K. DEWITT
DAILY NEWS STAFF

It all started at Tun Tavern in Philadelphia on Nov. 10, 1775.

Two hundred and thirty-three years later, the Marine Corps celebrated another birthday in traditional fashion aboard Camp Lejeune Friday with a rededication of the national and Marine Corps Colors, a cake cutting ceremony and a procession of Marine Corps uniforms from 1775 to present day.

On that November day so many years ago the Marine Corps was created by a resolution of the Continental Congress. Captain Samuel Nicholas was named the first Commandant of the Marine Corps and Robert Mullan was appointed to raise two companies of Marines. Mullan was the proprietor of Tun Tavern, so it was there that the very first Continental Marines were recruited and the way in which it became the birthplace of the Marine Corps.

"Since that date many thousand men have borne the name Marine. In memory of them, it is fitting that we who are marines should commemorate the birthday of our Corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history," wrote Gen. John A. Lejeune in a 1921 birthday message read aloud at the ceremony.

In another birthday message read aloud during the ceremony Gen. James T. Conway, commandant of the Marine Corps, wrote that today's Marines should remember those who came before them.

"On our 233rd birthday, first remember those who have served and those "angels" who have fallen - our reputation was built on their sacrifices," he wrote. "...To all Marines and sailors, know that I am proud of you and what you do. Your successes on the battlefield have only added to our illustrious history."

As is tradition, the oldest and youngest Marines attending the ceremony shared the first piece of birthday cake.

This year's cake recipients were celebrating their first and last Marine Corps birthdays, respectively.

Master Gunnery Sgt. Ronald Ross was the oldest Marine in attendance and said he was honored to be part of the ceremony because after serving 29 years in the Corps, this would be his last birthday celebration on active duty.

"(The ceremony) commemorates 233 years that the Marine Corps has not only been in existence but also the many lives we have saved for America and the many lives that have been lost since the Marine Corps (was formed)," Ross said.

The youngest Marine, Pfc. Matthew Kramer who enlisted in the Marine Corps in June, said being a part of the birthday ceremony was "amazing" and "astonishing."

"It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," he said. "Me being a brand new Marine into the Marine Corps I can't even express the amount of honor that comes with this."

Kramer was impressed with the ceremony saying he thought it was put together and planned well.

Conway concluded his message by quoting another Marine.

"Lt. Gen. Victor H. ‘Brute' Krulak said it best when he wrote, ‘...The United States does not need a Marine Corps ... The United States wants a Marine Corps.' Your actions, in Iraq and Afghanistan and across the globe, are at the core of why America loves her Marines," he wrote.

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow government reporter Molly DeWitt at 910-219-8455 or mdewitt@freedomenc.com.

Ellie

thedrifter
11-09-08, 06:55 AM
November 9, 2008

Notable moments in Marines history

The Desert Sun

How the Corps began

On Nov. 10, 1775, the Continental Congress passed a resolution stating that “two battalions of Marines be raised” for service as landing forces with the American fleet. This established the Continental Marines and marked the birth of the United States Marine Corps.

Serving on land and at sea, early Marines distinguished themselves in a number of important operations, including their first amphibious raid on foreign soil in the Bahamas in March 1776, under the command of the Corps' first commandant, Capt. Samuel Nicholas.

The 1783 Treaty of Paris ended the Revolutionary War and as the last of the Navy's ships were sold, the Continental Navy and Marines disbanded.

Following the formal re-establishment of the Marine Corps on July 11, 1798, Marines fought in conflicts with France, landed in Santo Domingo and conducted operations against the Barbary pirates along the “Shores of Tripoli,” Lebanon.

Notable moments in history

War of 1812: Marines participated in numerous operations, including the defense of Washington at Bladensburg, Md. They also fought alongside Andrew Jackson in the defeat of the British at New Orleans.

Mexican-American War (1846-1848): While landing parties of Marines and sailors were seizing enemy ports on both the Gulf and Pacific coasts, a battalion of Marines joined Gen. Winfield Scott's army at Pueblo and marched and fought all the way to the “Halls of Montezuma,” Mexico City.

Civil War (1861-1865): Although most Marine Corps service during the Civil War was with the Navy, a battalion fought at Bull Run, and other units saw action with blockading squadrons at Cape Hatteras, New Orleans, Charleston and Ft. Fisher.

Early 1900s: Following the Spanish-American War in 1898, Marines fought during the Philippine Insurrection, the Boxer Rebellion in China, in Nicaragua, Panama, The Dominican Republic, Cuba, Mexico and Haiti.

World War I (1914-1918): Marines distinguished themselves on the battlefields of France, as the 4th Marine Brigade earned the title of “Devil Dogs” for actions at Belleau Wood, Soissons, St. Michiel, Blanc Mont and the final Muesse-Argonne offensive. Marine aviation, which began in 1912, was used for the first time in a close-air support role during World War I. More than 309,000 Marines served in France and more than a third were killed or wounded.

World War II (U.S. involvement 1941-1945): Marines played an integral role in the U.S. war in the Pacific with Japan, including in the battles of Guadalcanal, Saipan, Tarawa, Tinian and Okinawa. During fierce combat on Iwo Jima, five Marines and one Navy corpsman's raising of the American flag on Mount Suribachi became an iconic image in U.S. history. Of the 27 U.S. military personnel awarded the Medal of Honor for their actions on Iwo Jima, 23 went to Marines.

Korean War (1950-1953): The 1st Marine Division led the first major United Nations strike in North Korean territory, with a surprise amphibious assault at Inchon. All told for the war, Marines suffered more than 30,000 casualties and more than 4,500 died in Korea. Forty-two Marines were awarded the Medal of Honor for heroism above and beyond the call of duty in Korea; 27 of these awards were posthumous.

Vietnam (1959-1975): The landing of the 9th Marine Expeditionary Brigade at Da Nang in 1965 marked the beginning of a large-scale Marine involvement in Vietnam. By the summer of 1968, after the enemy's Tet Offensive, Marine Corps strength in Vietnam rose to about 85,000. The Marine withdrawal began in 1969 as the South Vietnamese began to assume a larger role in the fighting. The last ground forces left Vietnam by June 1971.

The Vietnam War, the longest in the history of the Marine Corps, led to more than 13,000 Marines killed and 88,000 wounded.

The Gulf War (1990-1991): The Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in August 1990 led to the largest movement of Marine forces since World War II. From August 1990 to January 1991, 24 infantry battalions, 40 squadrons (more than 92,000 Marines) deployed to the Persian Gulf as part of Operation Desert Shield. The air campaign of Operation Desert Storm began Jan. 16, 1991, followed by the main overland attack Feb. 24 when the 1st and 2nd Marine Divisions breached the Iraqi defense lines and stormed into occupied Kuwait. Meanwhile, the threat from the sea in the form of Marine Expeditionary Brigades held 50,000 Iraqis in check along the Kuwait coast. By the morning of Feb. 28, 100 hours after the ground war began, the Iraqi army was no longer a threat.

1992-1994: The Marine Corps played important roles in humanitarian missions to Somalia, enforcing a no-fly zone over Bosnia-Herzegovina and evacuating U.S. citizens from war-torn Rwanda.

2003-present: Marines have served prominently in both the Iraq war and the war in Afghanistan. Marines' capturing of Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit ended the invasion phase of the Iraq war in 2003.

Ellie

thedrifter
11-10-08, 07:50 AM
Happy Birthday Marines-Nov10
Posted By Maj Pain

There is no greater joy than to serve. If its to serve your family,a beliefe or especially your country, there is no greater joy than to serve. Its not for everybody and its not for profit. Many will never understand what the term “serv” comes with as far as dedication, devotion or sacrifice.

Marines don’t join the Marines to be marginal or to meet the staus quo. Marines join to be the best and the American people will expect nothing less.
Iraq, present day.

Two young Marines are standing guard outside an Iraqi police station. They barely know one another but discuss things during their shift that young Marines discuss. With another dozen Marines conducting training within the police station and another two dozen Iraqi policemen as well, the two young Marines vigilantly stand guard.

As the day progresses and the constant threat of attack is in the area, a large dump truck approaches the police station entry point at high speed. Punching through the initial barriers that are positioned to slow attacking vehicles, the two young Marine take immediate action and begin putting accurate M16 fire into the windshield. One of the Marines initiates 50 cal fire into the cab of the truck tearing it to shreds. As the truck slows and stops, the automatic trigger established within the truck detonates the 12 tons of explosives within its carriage. The 2 Marines never knew what hit them and died as a result of the blast.

Afterwards, the Iraqi Police chief asked the Marines commanding officer, “why didn’t your Marines run? My men ran as they knew of the immediate danger” The commanding officer said, they were on guard and protecting along with your men, a dozen of their brothers within the building. They are Marines, they aren’t going to run. With tears in the police chief’s eyes, he said I don’t understand you Marines. The dedication, devotion or sacrifice…………..”They are Marines, they aren’t going to run”.

To all of my brothers, present and past, there is no greater call than to serve and no greater force to serve with than the nation’s best. If it was easy to join the Marine Corps, we wouldn’t be the Marines.

Semper Fidelis and Happy Birthday brothers. (Nov 10)

Maj Pain

(I smoked a nice Partagas Black cigar during this post. Fitting, only the best for a birthday party)

Ellie

thedrifter
11-10-08, 08:06 AM
Another year older
As birthday celebrations pass, the Corps still faces challenges

Posted : Monday Nov 10, 2008 6:17:55 EST

Marines around the world came together this past weekend to commemorate the 233rd Marine Corps Birthday on Nov. 10. As always, it was a party to remember. But the Corps’ birthday serves also as an opportunity to reflect and look ahead.

This year’s ball may be over, but as the haze begins to lift and the Marine Corps Hymn finally quits rattling the inside of your head, it is important to not lose sight of the significant events from the past year that will continue to shape your Corps in the year to come.

Hostilities in Iraq have decreased dramatically, prompting the pullout from hard-fought Anbar province and the recent handover of an uninviting landmark: Camp Fallujah. But as tensions ease in one region, fighting grows in another.

Afghanistan, it seems, is all anyone talks about these days, and the Corps’ role there will almost certainly grow before long.

And though they are no longer here to celebrate another year in the Corps, the 60 Marines and corpsmen who have died in combat since last Nov. 10 will forever be a part of its legacy. As Commandant Gen. James Conway said in this year’s birthday message, your “reputation was built on their sacrifices.”

For as long as the world is an unstable place, Marines will continue to operate at home and abroad with the high standards befitting their title. It’s dangerous business, but since 1775 they’ve always thrived on the challenge.

So to all Marines past and present, wherever you might be: happy 233rd — and Semper Fi.

— Joe Bush

thedrifter
11-10-08, 08:19 AM
<iframe src='http://marines.feedroom.com/linking/index.jsp?skin=oneclip&ehv=http://www.marines.mil/news/Pages/marinestv.aspx&fr_story=f95139757a6d2e02df5ee80e83ef11cfd00a65b8&rf=ev&hl=true' width=322 height=277 scrolling='no' frameborder=0 marginwidth=0 marginheight=0></iframe>

thedrifter
11-10-08, 09:09 AM
Happy Birthday, Marines
by Ted Nugent (more by this author)
Posted 11/10/2008 ET

From the Halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli, all across America and in Iraq, Afghanistan and wherever America is being defended, the world’s most exclusive gun club is the celebrating its 233 birthday today.

Born in a roughneck Philadelphia bar in 1775 on a dare to surpass standard warrior excellence, the United States Marines Corps has distinguished itself over its history as the finest military force the world has ever seen. Do not point the US Marines Corps at
anything you do not wish conquer. They are the pointy end of America’s spear.

The Devil Dogs are always the first to the fight. Looking at their battle flags fluttering in the breeze reminds of their bravery and warrior ethos. Battle streamers honoring their bravery in battles such as Belleau Wood, Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan, Peleliu, Iwo Jima, Okinawa and Chosin Reservoir remind us of just a few of the famous battles they have fought and won.

Having spent time with Devil Dogs in Iraq and Afghanistan while on a USO Tour, it was abundantly clear that these men and women are the most determined, courteous and
courageous people I have ever had the privilege of sharing time with. To the person, they all expressed their gratitude for being on the frontlines of the war on terror with their
fellow Marines. It truly humbled me to see that level of camaraderie and Blood Brotherhood dedication.

They not only fight for America, but for each other. This is the definition of 'espirit de corps".

I have visited with wounded Marines in hospitals. Regardless of the severity of their wounds, pain and suffering, they all expressed to me their utmost desire to return to the battlefield with their buddies to see the war won. This is the kind of sacrifice that leaves a lump in man’s throat. As I listened to them I couldn’t help but be so very thankful that America produces these young men and women of such character and determination.

When we get older, it’s natural to think about whether we’ve actually done something worthwhile. This is not the case for the leatherneck men and women of the mighty US Marine Corps. President Reagan said it best: “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don’t have that problem.”

I suspect if the Marines know one thing, it is that freedom is not free. There is a toll to be exacted and it is their blood, sweat, sacrifice and lives. As I type these vary words, there are leathernecks pushing ahead and killing Al Qaeda and Taliban voodoo monsters.
These leathernecks come from a long lineage of warriors who don’t know the meaning of quit. My hero, Colonel Lewis “Chesty” Puller summed it best when he said during the Korean War, “We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."

Clearly, there is no finer friend, no worse enemy than the Marines. This was exemplified by Marine General James Mattis when he told Iraqi leaders, "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you "mess" with me, I'll kill you all." My kind of man.

The US Marines are warriors. They are the few and the proud. Americans are the many and the blessed. So long as the Marines are with us the flame of freedom and liberty will burn brightly.

May God bless the United States Marines Corps. Happy 233rd birthday, Devil Dogs. Semper Fi. Godspeed my Blood Brothers. Carry on.

Ellie

thedrifter
11-10-08, 10:47 AM
Happy Birthday, U.S. Marines
Comments 2 | Recommend 2
The U.S. Marine Corps celebrates 233 years Nov. 10.
November 9, 2008 - 6:21PM
Keren Rivas / Times-News

Bob Petka has been a Marine for most of his life.

And while he used to celebrate the Marine Corps birthday every year by going to a ball, when he moved from Texas to Stoney Creek last year he didn't know where to go.

"I've always tried to make it a point to go to a Marine Corps Ball,'' Petka, 68, said.

In an effort to maintain the tradition, Petka decided to invite a couple of Marines friends and throw a small birthday party at his house on Nov. 10, the day Marines across the world celebrate the inception of the corps.

And while he would have done the same this year, thanks to the Lance Cpl. Alan D. Lam Detachment #1209 Marine Corps League, he didn't have to.

The detachment, which is based in Alamance County, held a ball Saturday at Twin Lakes Community Center, allowing Petka to celebrate the 233rd Marine Corps birthday with dozens fellow Marines and corpsmen from across the area. Click here to see a video of the event.

The detachment, which is named after Alan D. Lam, a 19-year-old lance corporal from Snow Camp who died during a training session in Iraq in April 2003, was chartered in 2005. Since then, it has held three birthday balls.

Besides being a formal and traditional event, the ball was an opportunity for Marines to show their pride in the corps, said Bruce Rakfeldt, past commandant of the local detachment.

"It's a pretty unique event to have,'' he added.

As part of the celebration, there is a cake ceremony in which the oldest Marine present takes a bite of the cake and then passes it to the youngest Marine present. This symbolizes the passing on of tradition and knowledge from one generation to the next, Rakfeldt said.

The oldest Marine at Saturday's celebration was 90-year-old Jim Gordon, who joined the Marines in 1942. The youngest Marine was Mitch Moorehead, 36, who enlisted in May 1999. Both are members of the detachment.

Following with tradition, the first U.S. Marine Corps commandant's birthday message, which was given by General John A. Lejeune in 1921, and the birthday message from the current commandant, General James T. Conway, were read during the ceremony.

Lejeune's message reminded Marines of the corps' determination to fight for their country, a legacy that has been maintained since the Marine Corps was created on Nov. 10, 1775.

Lejeune's message also encouraged Marines to commemorate the corps' birthday in memory of those Marines who fought in past battles and who"`have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction... until the term Marine has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.''

Conway's message urged Marines to remember those who have served, especially those "angels who have fallen'' during the past 233 years. He also highlighted the corps' part in the war on terrorism.

Rakfeldt said that it's not only what Marines do on the battlefield that makes them great but also what they do through the Marine Corps League in the communities where they live.

``We are a brotherhood of warriors for the community,'' he said.

Petka, who served in the corps from 1957 to 1961 and who has been involved with the league for almost 40 years, agreed.

He said that programs like Toys for Tots, which gives toys to underprivileged children for Christmas, allow Marines to be active in their communities. He said he was glad he was able to connect with the local detachment.

Rakfeldt, who served in operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, said that there is no such a thing as a former Marine.

"You are a Marine for life,'' Rakfeldt said. "It's in our blood. Two hundred and thirty three years is in our blood.''

For more information about the local detachment, visit its Web site, www.marinecorpsleague1209.org.

About the Marines

The Marine Corps was created on November 10, 1775, in Pennsylvania by a resolution of the Continental Congress. In 1834 the Marines became part of the Department of the Navy. Women were allowed to join in 1918.

Emblem: The Eagle, globe and anchor, which was adopted in 1868. The globe and anchor signify worldwide service and sea traditions. The spread eagle represents the nation itself. The motto is clenched in the beak of the bird.

Nickname: Devil Dogs. During World War I, the Marines fought the Germans at Belleau Wood. The persistent attacks from the Marines had the Germans calling the Marines "Teufelhunden" (Devil Dogs).

Uniform: Scarlet trouser stripe. The red stripe was first seen on Marine uniforms in 1796. It was used off and on until uniform regulations made it standard in 1859. It is rumored that the stripe represents the blood shed by Marines at the Battle of Chapultepec in the war with Mexico in 1846.

Colors: Scarlet and gold.

Motto: Semper Fidelis, Latin for ``Always faithful.'' It was officially adopted in 1883.

Ellie

thedrifter
11-10-08, 10:54 AM
November 10, 2008
Happy Birthday Marines!

The U.S. Marine Corps was founded on Nov. 10th, 1775. To my father the Marine, my grandfather who was a Marine when he was KIA, and all those who have served in the U.S. Marine Corps -- thank you for your service and Semper Fidelis!

Thanks to CJ for the reminder.

By order of Major Gen. Lajeune, General Commandant of the USMC, the following is read every year since 1921 to commemorate the Corps' birthday.

MARINE CORPS ORDER No. 47 (Series 1921)
HEADQUARTERS
U.S. MARINE CORPS Washington, November 1, 1921

The following will be read to the command on the 10th of November, 1921, and hereafter on the 10th of November of every year. Should the order not be received by the 10th of November, 1921, it will be read upon receipt.

On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution of Continental Congress. Since that date many thousand men have borne the name "Marine". In memory of them it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the birthday of our corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history.

The record of our corps is one which will bear comparison with that of the most famous military organizations in the world's history. During 90 of the 146 years of its existence the Marine Corps has been in action against the Nation's foes. From the Battle of Trenton to the Argonne, Marines have won foremost honors in war, and in the long eras of tranquility at home, generation after generation of Marines have grown gray in war in both hemispheres and in every corner of the seven seas, that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.

In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our corps, Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term "Marine" has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.

This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the corps. With it we have also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our Nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps.

JOHN A. LEJEUNE,
Major General
Commandant

PaMaverick
11-10-08, 10:58 AM
Somewhere on this site before I registered I saw a question about what went on during the USMC birthday at Parris Island if you were in boot camp. I was at Parris Island 56 years ago today, just...

muck
11-10-08, 11:30 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARINES
SEMPER FI
MUCK

thedrifter
11-10-08, 02:22 PM
Marines celebrate Marine Corps' 233rd birthday at Manas

by Tech. Sgt. Michael Voss
376th Air Expeditionary Wing Public Affairs

11/10/2008 - MANAS AIR BASE, Kyrgyzstan (AFNS) -- When Marines go to war, regardless of where they are or what they're doing, they never fail to celebrate their beloved "Corps'" birthday and remember their heritage.

Today a small group of 30 Marines deployed from the Okinawa-based 3rd Marine Division displayed the Marine motto of Semper Fidelis, Latin for (always faithful) when they took time to celebrate the 233rd birthday of the United States Marine Corps, Nov. 10, at Manas Air Base.

Manas AB serves as the air mobility and refueling hub for all coalition servicemembers going in and out of Afghanistan. In the last month alone, Manas has supported thousands of Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines, as well as other coalition personnel, as they transited through the base en route to support operations in Afghanistan, including Operation Enduring Freedom and the International Security Assistance Force.

The Marines at the birthday celebration were heading to Afghanistan, where they will start a nine-month deployment. Even though they only had hours left before their scheduled departure, they still took the time to pay tribute to their service's history.

"Regardless of where we are we are going, we always take the time to celebrate the Marine Corps' birthday with our fellow Marines around the world," said Master Sgt. Pete Delarosa, the unit's senior enlisted and administrative chief responsible to the commander for taking care of the Marine's welfare.

"It is good for the young guys in the group to do this," said Sergeant Delarosa, a 23-year Marine veteran. "For many of them, this is the first Marine Corps birthday they have ever experienced."

Although the Marines did not anticipate celebrating the Marine Corps' birthday at what is primarily an Air Force installation, members of both services came together to make the Ala Too Dining Facility a distinguished site for the event.

In line with Marine Corps tradition, the youngest and oldest Marines in the group, Lance Cpl. German Gamez Campos and Maj. Jay Rice cut the birthday cake and served the other Marines present for the celebration.

"I would have never thought we might celebrate the Marine Corps' birthday at an Air Force base, but today is all about tradition," said Corporal Campos, a 19-year-old native of Edenburg, Texas, who enlisted in the Marine Corps a little over a year ago.

"Just because we are a small group passing through an Air Force base, we are not going to forget where we came from," said Sergeant Delarosa.

"Today's my first Marine Corps birthday celebration and I was expecting something smaller because of where we were," said Corporal Campos. "It reminds of what I am doing and why I am here -- to be a Marine."

Ellie

jetdoc
11-10-08, 02:28 PM
Happy Birthday to us.

FistFu68
11-10-08, 03:00 PM
:usmc: THE FEW THE PROUD THE MARINES 233 YEARS OF SENDING OUR ENEMIES 2 HELL :usmc: :iwo:

rickyracer
11-10-08, 03:39 PM
It has taken me about 2 hours to read this post.
2 hours will spent, I love you guys.
We all may not agree with each other all the time, but we all stand together as a team and we each others back.

It is with tears in my eyes, that with all you, my brothers and sisters, I wish you...
A very, very Happy Birthday! ! !

griffsigsRM
11-10-08, 03:42 PM
Happy 233rd Birthday from all the Royal Marines on the other side of the pond

Sgt Jim
11-10-08, 05:34 PM
Happy Birthday to all my Brothers and Sisters.Semper Fi

ronr418
11-10-08, 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday to all of brothers and sisters Marines and a heart felt thank you to our brothers and sisters on the otherside of the pond in the Royal Marines.
How I wish to God I was still in the Corps.

ItzAlex
11-10-08, 07:46 PM
Happy Birthday to all my brother and sister Marines.

cedarbird6
11-10-08, 09:54 PM
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/firework2.gif
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARINES

“”Old Breed..New Breed..
There’s Not A Damn Bit Of Difference
So Long As It’s The Marine Breed””
LT. General Lewis B Puller

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/cedarbird6/Military/sf_banner_2.gif CARRY ON..

pnwhite
11-11-08, 06:42 AM
Good morning Marine Brothers – I hope you had a happy birthday. Mine could have been better, but for some disturbing news I heard on the radio shortly after getting out of bed.
When I was in Air Force R.O.T.C. back in 1959 at Purdue University, we used text books that looked as though they had been written by Julius Caesar, and although I didn’t finish college, and I certainly didn’t go on to become an officer commissioned by the Congress of the United States, (I ended up a Corporal commissioned by the U.S.M.C.) I remember one thing (and you got it – 1 thing) out of all those books we had to read about military tactics and strategies. “To conquer a “people” you have to occupy their land.”
Remembering that, I guess that is why I was so opposed to the Viet Nam war. I was young enough to be idealistic (unfortunately I still am!) but old enough to start seeing things as they really were and not as I thought they should be. I didn’t have anything against fighting communism, because I could see that there was really a domino effect as it pertained to communism, and although I believe in some of the ideas about communism, I was fiercely opposed to the communism that was put into practice. It is much the same situation that today confronts the world in jihadiism (sp?). Thugs, strongmen, etc. trying to gain power using an idealistic front to cover their nefarious goals. In the case of the al Queda and the Taliban, they are using religion to give validity to their aims of conquering the people of the entire world, not to convert everyone to Muslimism, but just to rule everyone for their own desires.
So what disturbed me yesterday? Well I have been listening carefully (notice that I am listening – I don’t watch television) to General Petraeous (sp?) for the past year or so describing his ideas about how to win the war in Iraq. He is given so much credit for his “new” procedures to win that war. In a nutshell, it is “capture and hold”. What is this “hold” thing? Is it what my old college textbook termed “occupy”? I think maybe it is, and I have been wondering why our military leaders haven’t been doing that. And that was my big gripe with the way the Viet Nam war was being fought. I think it is deplorable that we have been in this “mess” for 5 years now and finally someone is finally getting it right. So, again, why am I disturbed? Well yesterday morning, a bright sunshiny day, a birthday celebration that I could look forward to as I have for the past 44 years, and I hear them talking about pulling out of Iraq because “we can’t win this war”. I can’t remember who said that, it wasn’t a news commentator, or some college professor, it was some government official, I think from the defense department that made that statement. He went on to say there were three things that we have to face up to, but I only remember him saying that, and I don’t remember who said it because it wasn’t the Secretary of Defense, but my mind went into a rage when I heard that, and the rest of the day was spent trying to collect my thoughts.
I really would have bet a lot of money that poor George was going to continue this war so that he didn’t have to be tagged as the “loser” and he could pass that title on to whoever replaced him, figuring that he had made such a mess of things that it would probably be a Democrat, but not really worrying whether that replacement would be a Republican. Then his legacy would put the blame on somebody else, not on him. Now it seems as though the spinners in the administration are preparing the people for pulling out of Iraq, because in our “infinite wisdom” we have determined that this is the “wise” thing to do, and that this will be so totally accepted, that everyone will forget why we got into this “mess” in the first place.
Well, it wasn’t a sunshiny day yesterday. It was cold and windy and the sun didn’t come out until late in the afternoon. Today there is a ceremony on the front steps of the County Courthouse to honor us veterans. I hope to get there to attend that ceremony, standing out in the cold to honor who? Myself? Hell of a way to take the plaudits of a thankful nation isn’t it?