PDA

View Full Version : My school...

Parsons95
10-07-08, 03:54 PM
Good afternoon Marines and poolees, I have a question and I want to know if anyone knows the answer to it. I go to a charter school in little Ohio that just started up 5 years ago. It's an awesome school that allows me to excel in my classes. Right now I am a year ahead of what my grade is supposed to be (8th grader doing 9th grade work). The only problem is that there are not many sports or extra curricular activities. I hope to possibly go to the Naval Academy and I know that they look at all that stuff during the admissions process. Would this hurt my chances of being competitive for admission? I know that I still have about 3 1/2 to 4 years but I want to make sure when I am officially in high school that I don't get s/rewed over. I hope to go enlisted first so would they take that into consideration during the admissions process? Thank you for your time.

NaguYen
10-07-08, 04:48 PM
Well I don't know much about it, but I do know that my friend didn't do that many extracurricular activities. All he did was do really really good in school. And then he did all that referral from a senator stuff and he got accepted.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-07-08, 05:23 PM
The more things you have on your application the better you will look. When you consider the number of applications that the service academies receive and the limited number of new students they accept each year, you see that you need to rise above your peers. Of course, there is nothing saying that your activities must take place through a school. You can volunteer, pursue non-school related sports (martial arts, running, etc.), and do just about anything that would be available to you through a larger school. You just have to be a little more creative- and showing initiative and creativity is never a bad thing.

Parsons95
10-07-08, 05:41 PM
Thank you for the reply

degenerate138
10-07-08, 11:42 PM
Worry about your grades. That's what all universities, colleges, and academies look at first. If you are actually good in any sports, try out for some public leagues around your area.