PDA

View Full Version : Marine keeps weapons ready to fire and Marines ready to fight

thedrifter
10-07-08, 07:07 AM
RAWAH, Iraq —“When you execute a muscular gouge you want to separate the muscles from bone,” Cpl. Trevor Ryan said to the class. “Get underneath the muscle, squeeze, twist it and pull.”

Ryan, 21, a small-arms repairer/technician with Task Force 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 5, repairs various weapons systems utilized by Marines at Combat Outpost Rawah, Iraq. While his daily job takes priority, teaching Marines how to use the weapons they were born with is his true passion.

“I love to teach, I love being a Marine and I am completely infatuated with (the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program),” said Ryan said, who is from Sandusky, Ohio.

Over the five months Ryan has spent deployed to Iraq, he has graduated 50 Marines from his MCMAP courses and prides himself in helping Marines achieve their martial arts goals.

“He makes his students earn their belts and doesn’t just give them to them,” said Cpl. Demario Walker, 21, from Greenville, S.C., who is an administration clerk, with TF 2nd Bn., 2nd Marines. “If the student is willing to put in the time to learn and (work hard) during the class, he will make sure they succeed.”

Although the ongoing point of his classes is to make Marines proficient in hand-to-hand combat techniques, Ryan attempts to add some of his own personal goals into the lessons.

“I teach self defense, leadership traits and how to be a good Marine,” Ryan said. “(MCMAP) gives me another sense of purpose and pride in the Marine Corps besides just doing my job. I love what I do.”

Ryan plans to continue teaching Marines, not only in MCMAP, but new and upcoming small-arms repairers/technicians as he continues his military career.

“I’ve already received orders to (be an instructor) at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Maryland,” Ryan said, referring to the military occupational specialty school he graduated from. “I know while I’m there, I want to be a MCMAP instructor too.”