PDA

View Full Version : Pre-basic Knowledge

Bentley09
10-05-08, 10:42 PM
Hi, i know that i have nearly a year before i go to basic, but i want to know if there are any websites, books, or videos that i could watch to get me ready for my career

anything would be helpful, from things similar to road guard, to what to eat to lose weight, any kind of tips or info would be extremely helpful.

If there is already a similar topic about this, i apologize

gnarkill04
10-05-08, 11:06 PM
Try reading the sticky's in the poolee hall, using that helpful little search engine on the upper left of the page, and becoming friends with google. I'm sure most of the Marines on here are tired of telling new poolees this. :evilgrin:

Garrett90
10-05-08, 11:18 PM
Hey Bentley, basic is ARMY. The Marines have have Boot Camp, or Recruit Training. Google has it all. And before you get flamed by the Marines on the site for it, I will let you know that you will get flamed by them for not using the "search function." If you use it on this site, your bound to find your answers. Just search the web.

mjs2000us
10-05-08, 11:23 PM
Try going to the library and reading up on the history, you might even find some good boot camp books. Youtube has some good "motivational" videos too. Also same advice as above poolees as well.

lagrand
10-06-08, 12:53 AM
If you play Call of Duty 4 enough and you show you really have a good shot, after SOI you are selected for Scout/Sniper school. So just play COD a bunch...

But seriously. Here's some threads you can ponder and look over:
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33597 - Recruit Training Survival Tips
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25168 - This is what you bring to boot.
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59314&highlight=guide - The most comprehensive guide to all the "knowledge" you will learn. Lots of info.

Use google. If you want to learn how to lose weight, type in "how to lose weight" in google. If you want to know about a particular MOS in the Marine Corps type in "Marine Corps MOS" or just visit this site http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/marinejobs.htm

I'm doing too much work for you. I'm just in a good mood because I just finished a Full Throttle. Hope the above info gave you a little push (or shove) in the right direction. Ask more questions if needed. God bless.

- Jacob

0231Marine
10-06-08, 07:09 AM
Watch "Ears Open, Eyeballs Click"

It doesn't show you everything about bootcamp but it's a good baseline for reference.

Enigmatic
10-06-08, 10:34 AM
Watch "Ears Open, Eyeballs Click"

It doesn't show you everything about bootcamp but it's a good baseline for reference.

Oh, man! One of my old Drill Instructors, Sgt Cervantes, was in that movie! He was the one harrasing recruits during field day, throwing towels at them and throwing that one kid's moonbeam on the deck and all that. There I was, watching it with my lil' bro, telling him "Yeah, this was my company in boot camp" and "Yeah, I remember that Drill Instructor. He was hardcore." When suddenly Sgt Cervantes (He's probably SSgt or even GySgt Cervantes by now) popped up on the screen, and I'll be damned if I didn't nearly snap to attention!!! That man was something else, we all feared him.

Ahh...memories.

Patriot34
11-06-08, 07:07 PM
Oh, man! One of my old Drill Instructors, Sgt Cervantes, was in that movie! He was the one harrasing recruits during field day, throwing towels at them and throwing that one kid's moonbeam on the deck and all that. There I was, watching it with my lil' bro, telling him "Yeah, this was my company in boot camp" and "Yeah, I remember that Drill Instructor. He was hardcore." When suddenly Sgt Cervantes (He's probably SSgt or even GySgt Cervantes by now) popped up on the screen, and I'll be damned if I didn't nearly snap to attention!!! That man was something else, we all feared him.

Ahh...memories.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh **** he's right there er wait that's just the video.