PDA

View Full Version : AP Hill...

eckel
10-05-08, 11:25 AM
Hey everyone,

Just a quick question.

Has any one been to AP hill? My unit is about to leave to go there in about 10ish days and I was wondering what to expect. I have searched it on the internet and got a whole bunch of information on it that way. But I also searched for bootcamp and it was nothing like the internet said, haha.

I'll be going there as a comm guy and a junior Marine. Any advice would be greatly appricated.

PFC Eckel (USMC)

jrhd97
10-05-08, 11:45 AM
Expect to be bored. There is next to nothing up there. If you don't play cards, learn. We went twice, very boring.

eckel
10-05-08, 11:50 AM
Thanks Cpl.

I heard it is training for Afghan. Did you end up going there?

My unit is ment to deploy to Iraq next year. We are doing AP Hill, which I heard units that go there go to Afghan, and also Mojave Viper, which I heard units that go there go to Iraq.

bgsuwoody
10-05-08, 05:01 PM
I went there, and if you do a quick search Marine with AP Hill as the search you can see a discussion on exactly what I did there day in and day out. Be prepared to be miserable, bored, and well miserable and bored...

yellowwing
10-05-08, 05:35 PM
http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GPTB_enCA288CA289&q=AP+Hill++site:leatherneck%2ecom

bgsuwoody
10-05-08, 06:22 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67316&highlight=hill

MOUNTAINWILLIAM
10-05-08, 07:59 PM
It could be compared to Camp LeJeune.

marinemama
10-05-08, 10:00 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67316&highlight=hill

Thanks for the links. I am not sure why when I do a search, it always tells me there is no thread. Clearly in this case, there is.

Osotogary
10-06-08, 01:19 PM
eckel,
Along with the observations and suggestions made by fellow Marines you could visit this link,
http://www.defenselink.mil/home/photoessays/2004-11/p20041101b1.html

The photo will show the following:
U.S. Marine Corps Cpl. Ryan Clay fires on the move during the first level of the Enhanced Marksmanship Program on Fort A.P. Hill, Va. Clay is a squad leader in Fox Company, Battalion Landing Team, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment. The unit, part of the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, trained on the U.S. Army installation in mid-October for an upcoming deployment. U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Roman Yurek

You can then click "Back to Homepage" or "More Photo Essays"
Adios, for now.

jrhd97
10-06-08, 01:56 PM
It could be compared to Camp LeJeune.
LeJeune wasn't the best place nor the worse, in no way was it so bad as to be compared to AP Hill.

eckel
10-06-08, 04:24 PM
thanks for your help, I'm looking forward to going. WE have done so much prep for it, kinda on edge now. just want to get it over with. almost time.

thanks again for the help,
PFC Eckel

odc25
10-09-08, 07:32 PM
let me tell you i am in iraq now and we went to AP hill and mojave...

Phantom Winger
10-10-08, 07:33 PM
Has any one been to AP hill?

Large army reservation in beautiful central Virginia. I spent a summer there with my dad when he was testing night vision equipment back in the 70's... (nothin' quite like a 12 yr old driving an M-60A1 tank on the weekend). Fast forward to today ... hasn't changed much and I don't think I'd find it as "exciting".

Bring some books (http://www.mcu.usmc.mil/ProDev/ProfReadingPgm.htm) and be thankful it's not August... :cool:

Quinbo
10-11-08, 05:40 AM
I lived in Sparta Virginia for 5 years. I hunted and fished on AP Hill often. It was great!

jrhd97
10-11-08, 08:00 AM
I lived in Sparta Virginia for 5 years. I hunted and fished on AP Hill often. It was great!
You could leave when you wanted. I couldn't and he won't be able to. Very boring place.

marinemama
10-11-08, 11:16 AM
Thanks for your suggestions of reading material, that is an awesome list. I am not sure if he will have the opportunity to log on again before he leaves, but I will be sure to let him know to stuff a book in with his skivvie rolls. It sounds like it will be a nice place to be, just boring. I hope he learns the stuff he needs to keep himself and his Unit alive.

Jim Oliver
10-11-08, 09:33 PM
Very rural and quiet.

I liked it there when I trained with the 158th Cavalry, Md National Guard. There isn't much to do but if you ahve a car you can go to Richmond.

It's a pretty big place.

Quinbo
10-11-08, 11:43 PM
Thanks for your suggestions of reading material, that is an awesome list. I am not sure if he will have the opportunity to log on again before he leaves, but I will be sure to let him know to stuff a book in with his skivvie rolls. It sounds like it will be a nice place to be, just boring. I hope he learns the stuff he needs to keep himself and his Unit alive.

Mama you remind me of a day and time. I served with a Marine in Okinawa whose mom sent him a batch of brownies. He shared. I said those have to be the best freakin brownies I have ever tasted. He said write my mom a letter about how you liked them. I did. She sent me brownies every year till the day I got out.

Crowe0311
10-15-08, 07:55 PM
I was ther back in the 90's, from what I remember it has ranges that are larger than usuall so you can fire some of the bigger weapon systems. Also a small Mout compound and several large hills that put a hurt on you when humping. Other than that not much there.

2ndCEBSupply
10-16-08, 11:54 AM
AP Hill that was a funny place a guy named Harper with out platoon ran out pf toliet paper and used some of gods leafs to wipe his ass turned out to be posion oak