PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted to Officer

Calvin09
10-04-08, 05:55 PM
Is it possible to go from an Enlisted Marine to a Marine Officer? Like, if I were a Sergeant in the Marines would I be able to take something to become an Officer? Is there a way to go there without having to do the whole four years in college thing? Like being recommended or something? Any replies are appreciated.

Isrowei
10-04-08, 07:06 PM
If you're looking for shortcuts already... you have no business thinking about being a Marine Officer.

Yes, you can be enlisted first, complete the requirements for a commission and then apply.

No, you cannot be an officer without an accredited 4-year degree. Then you must complete OCS and TBS after that. Being an officer isn't easy and it's not supposed to be. I suggest you take that on board before you ask more question.

And use the search function next time. This question has been answered MANY times before and it might have spared you a terse reply.

Wyoming
10-04-08, 09:43 PM
And use the search function next time. This question has been answered MANY times before and it might have spared you a terse reply.

Fug'em Lt.

He's been on here for over a year and asks a question like this?

If he misunderstood your message, fuggm again.

Calvin09
10-04-08, 11:29 PM
Sorry about that, I usually used the search function. I haven't been on here for a while now, just never came to mind. Know that is no excuse though.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-05-08, 01:20 AM
There are two routes that don't follow the normal path. The first is that of a warrant officer. It isn't the same as a commissioned officer, but it is "almost" there. Second is a limited duty officer. Neither are things that take in large numbers of Marines. In my time in the Marine Corps I knew one person that became a Warrant Officer, a couple that I ran into in the fleet, and LDO positions are even more rare- assuming they're doing any at all which I'm not sure of.

If you want to be an officer you're going to have to go get a degree, get accepted to OCS, complete OCS and TBS, and then you can join the ranks of Officers of Marines. The path is difficult because much is expected of them. Just look at the attitudes of the enlisted Marines on this site- do you honestly think we're an easy group of people to lead?

0231Marine
10-06-08, 07:17 AM
There are two routes that don't follow the normal path. The first is that of a warrant officer. It isn't the same as a commissioned officer, but it is "almost" there. Second is a limited duty officer. Neither are things that take in large numbers of Marines. In my time in the Marine Corps I knew one person that became a Warrant Officer, a couple that I ran into in the fleet, and LDO positions are even more rare- assuming they're doing any at all which I'm not sure of.

If you want to be an officer you're going to have to go get a degree, get accepted to OCS, complete OCS and TBS, and then you can join the ranks of Officers of Marines. The path is difficult because much is expected of them. Just look at the attitudes of the enlisted Marines on this site- do you honestly think we're an easy group of people to lead?

Yes, they still do the LDO...but you've got to be a Warrant Officer first so I think we're getting a little ahead for this kid who hasn't even made it through bootcamp yet.