PDA

View Full Version : Running in boots

kash
10-04-08, 02:35 PM
I have a friend that is about to graduate from PI in 2 weeks. He and another recruit I know at PI have both told me to go to the local surplus store (Strickland's Surplus) and buy a pair of boots to get use to running in them.

Should I spend the money (I looked at them and they are priced at $40)? Do you run a lot in boots during recruit training? I did a search and did not come up with much beside some people saying yes and no..

Danman
10-04-08, 03:03 PM
You get issued boots at Boot camp, theres no need for you to get boots now and the boots that you buy arnt the correct boots those are cheep look a likes, the real boots are Bates, Daners and a few other brands. anyways dont waste your money, when you get to boot they will break you into your boots fast. also you cant bring anything with you so it would be pointless. you dont do many formation runs in boots maybe 2 and then the diffrent O cources that you do, and just the normal running from place to place.

kash
10-04-08, 04:10 PM
Oh I know you can only bring the clothes on your back the required paper work. I was just wandering because he said its different then running in tennis shoes.

Thanks for the info though!!

SGT7477
10-04-08, 04:24 PM
Get use to the boots if you see combat you won't be wearing tennis shoes.

Pete0331
10-04-08, 06:03 PM
I have a friend that is about to graduate from PI in 2 weeks. He and another recruit I know at PI have both told me to go to the local surplus store (Strickland's Surplus) and buy a pair of boots to get use to running in them.

Should I spend the money (I looked at them and they are priced at $40)? Do you run a lot in boots during recruit training? I did a search and did not come up with much beside some people saying yes and no..

Running in boots is bad on your knees, feet, and lower back.
But it is inevitable that you will have to do it.

The trick to running in boots is having the right insoles. The gel Dr Schols are crap. The green Superfeet insoles are by far the best you can buy within reason.

If boots are $40, there is a reason. A decent pair of boots should cost at least $100 and another $35 or so for decent insoles.

Running in boots is a relatively small portion of Recruit Training.

BR34
10-04-08, 07:48 PM
Only thing worth doing in boots (pt wise) is the 880 meter sprint for the CFT.

I went on a board Wed. and we did that **** (finished it in 2 min 45 sec) and my legs STILL hurt!!!

YutYut
10-04-08, 07:54 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!:marine:

gunnym7999
10-04-08, 11:58 PM
Don't waste your money. Get a good pair of running shoes and run everyday. If you do that you will be fine for boot camp. remember just dont quit.

jetdoc
10-05-08, 08:41 AM
Never owned a pair of boots till bootcamp and as someone else said, they are horrible for your joints, etc, when you run in them.

kash
10-05-08, 09:01 AM
Alright thanks for your help!

sparkie
10-05-08, 09:11 AM
"1/2 Mile - 11 minutes 45 seconds",,,,,,,,, Don't worry about boots,,,You're not even running.LMAO. <!-- / sig -->

kash
10-05-08, 09:12 AM
Yeah my run time is not the best but I'm working on it.

Old Marine
10-05-08, 10:10 AM
Marines used to get issued boots and boondockers and drilled in them ran in them and when we drilled in them we dug in our heels. We never even saw a tennis shoe in Boot Camp.

Guess what, we also never had shin splints and the crutch brigade following along at the rear of every platoon. Maybe it was because we broke them in right or maybe we didn't drive or ride everywhere we went. Most of us walked on our own two feet, and actually took P.E.in school.

kash
10-05-08, 10:20 AM
Marines used to get issued boots and boondockers and drilled in them ran in them and when we drilled in them we dug in our heels. We never even saw a tennis shoe in Boot Camp.

Guess what, we also never had shin splints and the crutch brigade following along at the rear of every platoon. Maybe it was because we broke them in right or maybe we didn't drive or ride everywhere we went. Most of us walked on our own two feet, and actually took P.E.in school.
P.E. you have to take in high school to graduate. You only have to take it once though which is stupid. They also have a class for weight lifting. I took that my first two years.