PDA

View Full Version : Freakin IST. I passed, But am Concerned : tips please?

Aries41886
10-04-08, 02:17 PM
Now, On the body strength portion of IST. I aced it.

44 crunches was required minimum, I made 86.
3 Pullups was minimal, i made 12.

I am 5'7" and weigh 135lbs. My body is fairly slim.
Now the running part is what whooped me.
1.5 Miles in under 13 minutes.
I barely made it, with 12:48.
I was shocked, as I had been training myself by going on 1 mile runs, and doing constant leg lifts to strengthen my legs.
I quit smoking cigarettes and dip instead of smoke as well.

I am going to run my little A** off at 1.5 miles every day now, but im wondering if theres anything else I can do?
Is it leg strength, or Lungs that matters more when running? My lungs felt like they were on fire and my legs ... lol I couldn't feel them!!! So i was just moving forward in a great deal of stress, but I couldn't stop running. i COULD NOT. I made it, but im concerned, as I am infantry, and am pretty sure that I will be doing NOTHING BUT RUNNING in my MOS.

Any suggestions please? How did you guys strengthen your legs? As Im sure some of you Marines werent always as superbly tuned as you are now. ( or were during active service )

Brewer0311
10-04-08, 02:26 PM
Now, On the body strength portion of IST. I aced it.

44 crunches was required minimum, I made 86.
3 Pullups was minimal, i made 12.

I am 5'7" and weigh 135lbs. My body is fairly slim.
Now the running part is what whooped me.
1.5 Miles in under 13 minutes.
I barely made it, with 12:48.
I was shocked, as I had been training myself by going on 1 mile runs, and doing constant leg lifts to strengthen my legs.
I quit smoking cigarettes and dip instead of smoke as well.

I am going to run my little A** off at 1.5 miles every day now, but im wondering if theres anything else I can do?
Is it leg strength, or Lungs that matters more when running? My lungs felt like they were on fire and my legs ... lol I couldn't feel them!!! So i was just moving forward in a great deal of stress, but I couldn't stop running. i COULD NOT. I made it, but im concerned, as I am infantry, and am pretty sure that I will be doing NOTHING BUT RUNNING in my MOS.

Any suggestions please? How did you guys strengthen your legs? As Im sure some of you Marines werent always as superbly tuned as you are now. ( or were during active service )

Running 1 mile isn't going to train your body to run 1.5 miles. You're running 150% of what you are training for. You need to run twice as far as what you are planning to run. So, you need to run 3 miles to train for 1.5 miles.

Your lungs were on fire and you couldn't feel your legs becuase you are out of shape. It is that simple. You need to run more. It is muscle endurance not muscle strength.

Muscle endurance will help you run futher. Muscle strength will make you run faster.

I've done a little research on running and with one site it said to run until your legs start to hurt. Then to slow down a little (does not mean walk) for about 30 to 45 seconds. This lets the lactic acid decrease in the muscle and the pain goes away.

I did this on my last PFT and it worked out well. I shaved about 45 seconds off from what I would normally do.

SGT7477
10-04-08, 04:26 PM
Run Forrest Run.

Pete0331
10-04-08, 05:40 PM
Any suggestions please?

Run more. At least 4 times a week. The minimum distance you should run is 1.5 miles at this point. Don't run the same distance every day either. Two miles one day, 3 miles the next etc.

How did you guys strengthen your legs?

Sprint up hills in a flack with SAPI's.

BR34
10-04-08, 07:51 PM
To add to what everyone else has said, stop dipping!!!