PDA

View Full Version : Don't think this has been asked before..

gnarkill04
10-03-08, 12:52 PM
But I've seen a lot of youtube videos of boot camp graduation where the new Marine will salute his father when his family comes up to him. I've seen it in a couple videos, do your Drill Instructors tell you its respectful to do this or something like that? Just curious as to if this is something they teach you or if its just coincidence that I've seen it in a couple vids. Thanks

0231Marine
10-03-08, 01:13 PM
But I've seen a lot of youtube videos of boot camp graduation where the new Marine will salute his father when his family comes up to him. I've seen it in a couple videos, do your Drill Instructors tell you its respectful to do this or something like that? Just curious as to if this is something they teach you or if its just coincidence that I've seen it in a couple vids. Thanks

My company was never taught that while I was in. I can see how that could be taught and each Drill Instructor teaches his recruits different things. Not saying it's not taught...just that we never were.

My father was an enlisted Marine as well and if I would have saluted him, he probably would have slapped that **** out of me and asked, "Didn't I learn anything over the past 3 months?"

OB MSG
10-03-08, 01:28 PM
I remember being taught something in Boot about saluting outside of the usual. The usual being Officers, Warrant Officers, certain civilians,etc., but we were told that it is okay to salute to show respect no matter who is being saluted.

So these young Marines want to show their folks how much they have matured and grown and changes, so they whip one out for them.

When in doubt, whip it out. But you can also salute when you think the situation warrants one.

AL49BGN
10-03-08, 01:31 PM
We were never taught to do that,however OB MSG is correct.So I could see some DI teach that to there recruits.Good Question Poolee.

davblay
10-03-08, 11:13 PM
When in doubt, whip it out. But you can also salute when you think the situation warrants one.

When in doubt, salute! It's easier to get forgiveness than it is is to get permission!

lagrand
10-03-08, 11:26 PM
Now, this goes along with the aforementioned question. Is it correct that Marines salute other branches officers? Also, my father was a Captain in the AF so I believe a salute is warranted in that situation?

davblay
10-03-08, 11:32 PM
Now, this goes along with the aforementioned question. Is it correct that Marines salute other branches officers? Also, my father was a Captain in the AF so I believe a salute is warranted in that situation?

By the time you leave boot Camp, you will know who to salute and who not to salute! Trust me Poolee.

Dave

lagrand
10-03-08, 11:33 PM
Aye, Corporal.

Achped
10-04-08, 02:08 AM
My SDI was telling us one day to salute older ladies as a sign of respect, I've never done it, mainly because doing that on base would be an absolute retarded thing to do, but if I was out in the civilian world in my blues I could see myself doing that.

Phantom Blooper
10-04-08, 06:54 AM
When in doubt, whip it out.

It all depends on where you whip it out at...could lead to potential trouble... ask Achped!:evilgrin:

Old Marine
10-04-08, 09:09 AM
If it moves, salute it..... You never know who it might be.

fjmas1976
10-04-08, 10:08 AM
I would salute all Officers/Warrant Officers from any branch. They may not be a Marine, but they are Commissioned Officers and deserve the same customs/courtesies. I am a cop in a local town. If I encounter a Chief, Lt., or Sgt from any other town or University/College police dept. I will still address them by their rank and show them the same respect as I would my own command staff.

You can never go wrong by erring on the respectful side.:usmc:

jrhd97
10-04-08, 10:27 AM
You never know who that is in civies wondering around.
If your father was/is a commissioned officer of any branch he rates a salute. If he was enlisted you'll probably get a dressing down. That would suck on graduation day.

Jyates383
10-04-08, 10:44 AM
When in doubt, whip it out.

This works for more than one situation.