PDA

View Full Version : B billet ?

DAMNPROUD
10-03-08, 10:05 AM
My son is currently in SOI as a 0331.In a conversation with him the other night, he said he wanted to go 0311 in a B billet.at the time i didnt ask him how he would do this.does he have to go to a different school for this?

btw he said SOI is the hardest thing he has ever done but it was "TIGHT". he said the training and instructors are awsome.

keith

OB MSG
10-03-08, 10:16 AM
Sir,

Read through this and ask your son which of the B-billets he is specifically referring to. 0311 is the MOS code for a Marine Rifleman.

Category "B" MOS (“B” Billet): Any MOS that falls in between MOSs 8000-9599 (except MOSs 8412 and 8421). They are “enlisted only” billets and are not considered as a primary MOS (PMOS). They usually appear on T/Os where special skills are required. The overall population is not usually managed as a community by an MOS Monitor. Marines are promoted according to their PMOS while serving in Category "B" billets.

a.Special Duty Assignment (SDA): SDA’s are demanding duties with an unusual degree of responsibility. SDA’s will require extraordinary effort in order to attain satisfactory performance. Special duty assignments are considered to have an unusual degree of responsibility due to the heavy personal burden that is placed on the member in order to ensure the successful accomplishment of their assigned duties. Currently, special duty assignments include: Marine Security Guard (8151), Marine Corps Security Force Guard (8152), Marine Corps Security Force Cadre Trainer (8153), Marine Corps Security Force Close Quarters Battle Team Member (8154), Recruiter (8411), Drill Instructor (8511), and Marine Combat Instructor (8513).

I personally stood a Special Duty Assignment as an 8151 , Marine Security Guard. If he has any questions about, have him let me know.

ForeverMarine
10-03-08, 10:19 AM
The only B-Billet that he could join if he is still a troop is Marine Security Guard (MSG Duty) but he has to pass the indocks, his command has to sign off on it, and then pass MSG school....

Usually B-Billets are reenlistment options like Drill Instructor, Recruiter, MSG, etc... We Had a LCpl try to go to MSG in my company but our command would not sign off on it b/c we were about to be deployed....but im pretty positive MSG is the only b-billet a troop can go to....b/c you have to be at least a Cpl for recruiter, and at least a Sgt to be a DI......

But yea trying to leave his unit for a b-billet as a Pvt, PFC, LCpl specially when just getting there and being a grunt....Is really unheard of, but Im not going to say it cant be done......

thewookie
10-03-08, 10:23 AM
My son is currently in SOI as a 0331.In a conversation with him the other night, he said he wanted to go 0311 in a B billet.at the time i didnt ask him how he would do this.does he have to go to a different school for this?

btw he said SOI is the hardest thing he has ever done but it was "TIGHT". he said the training and instructors are awsome.

keith

The first part - he's probably too new to really know what he's talking about, or to be able to correctly explain it to you. No offense, but what you said, he said - could mean anything, well, anything related to b billets and 0311s

Tight has many meanings, in his case it could mean:

A) Tight = It's good to go.
B) Tight = Too many guys crammed in cattle cars.
C) Tight = He is a motivated Marine who is learning from the best.
D) Tight = Chow time isn't that much longer then boot-camp.
E) Tight = He is shootin and blowing shiat up and having the time of his life.
F) Tight = His training schedule is packed full of training.

I think it's probably a combination of all of them, but more then likely it's - C

SF

DAMNPROUD
10-03-08, 11:02 AM
Thank you for the replies.
the wookie i think you nailed it on both accounts.i think rumors fly at SOI.
your discription of his word TIGHT is spot on!lol

keith

Kegler300
10-03-08, 11:39 AM
He needs to put in at least 2-3 years in the fleet to get MOS credibility before considering a "B" billet. As stated above, "B" billets are usually reserved for reenlistment options or Marines who are no longer first termers and have the required obligated service.

thewookie
10-03-08, 12:22 PM
Thank you for the replies.
the wookie i think you nailed it on both accounts.i think rumors fly at SOI.
your discription of his word TIGHT is spot on!lol

keith

Well, there is one other meaning of TIGHT that I failed to mention.....

;)

DAMNPROUD
10-03-08, 12:37 PM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:lol. he hasnt said much about liberty! maybe he just stays on base....... shiat i know better

keith

DevsDad
10-03-08, 02:34 PM
Well, there is one other meaning of TIGHT that I failed to mention.....

;)

:thumbup: LOL I love you guys! Hubba Hubba! Its all about the tang!