PDA

View Full Version : Doing What Marines Do..

thedrifter
10-02-08, 02:23 PM
Doing What Marines Do...
Posted By Blackfive

The full story is after the jump....

Marines Save Car Crash Victim
By Lance Cpl. Meghan J. Canlas
2nd Marine Logistics Group

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. – When two Marines were traveling home from Raleigh, N.C., Sept. 2, 2008, they saw a woman jump a curb, hit a pole and flip her vehicle. Doing what anyone would expect of a pair of Marines, they quickly pulled the woman from the car to safety and waited with her until paramedics could arrive, demonstrating the true moral character synonymous with U.S. Marines.

Lance Cpls. Brandon J. Brown and Christian D. Forrest, both of Combat Logistics Regiment 2, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, were recognized by the commanding general of 2nd MLG, Brig. Gen. Juan G. Ayala, Sept. 11, 2008, for helping save the life of the driver, and setting an example for fellow Marines across the globe to follow.

“A man’s character is tested in times of adversity,” said 1st Sgt. Jeffrey Harper, first sergeant of General Support Motor Transportation Company, CLR-2 and Brown’s First Sergeant. “It took a lot of moral courage to put their lives on the line. They didn’t know if they were going to get hurt, but they helped her anyway. They set a great example to Marines around them.”

Although these actions may seem heroic to most, both Brown and Forrest said they did what every Marine would do.

“I just put myself in her situation and thought, ‘I would want someone to help me out,’” said Forrest. “As a Marine you do what you need to do, when it’s time to do it.”

“I felt good that I did it, but it’s what Marines do, we help,” Brown said. “It’s our job. I felt like anyone could have done what we did. It was just fortunate that we could assist.”

Sgt. Maj. Angela M. Maness, the sergeant major of Combat Logistics Battalion 8, CLR-2, said hearing what the Marines did kept a shining light on junior Marines.

“There is so much negativity about Pfcs and Lance Corporals that when something good happens, we want to celebrate it,” She explained. “We are all very proud of them.'

Lance Cpl. Christian D. Forrest, a Detroit, Mich. native, Brig. Gen. Juan G. Ayala, Lance Cpl. Brandon J. Brown, a Miami, Fla. native, and Sgt. Maj. Carl R. Green smile after the 2nd Marine Logistics Group commanding general recognized Brown and Forrest, Sept. 11, 2008, for pulling a woman out of her car after she rolled it, Sept. 2, 2008. Photographer: Lance Cpl. Meghan Canlas, 2nd Marine Logistic Group Public Affairs

Ellie