PDA

View Full Version : Vfw

boomer56328
10-02-08, 09:12 AM
I've been asked about joining the VFW from a lady I know who is former Army. She gave me some info, but I really don't know much about them or what they do. Anybody know about them?

Chumley
10-02-08, 09:34 AM
I've been asked about joining the VFW from a lady I know who is former Army. She gave me some info, but I really don't know much about them or what they do. Anybody know about them?

I'm not a member but I beleive they all get together, talk trash, march in parades, and engage in other community events; all of the above are well-planned out at the bar.
:beer:

Accord
10-03-08, 09:30 AM
I got a life membership over here in Afghanistan. It's pretty cool, you should definitely join, get an annual membership or "easy pay life membership" if you can.

Alpha1Devildog
10-03-08, 09:39 AM
These veteran organizations were/are put together to aid and/or assist military personnel and veterans in the obtaining of benefits, care, and the protection of those entitlements we earned in serving our country. It's also encumbent of younger men and women joining those ranks to protect those same rights for future military personnel.

Not all events are planned in bars, as not all posts have a bar. I was all state post commander for the VFW one year, and we worked out of a garage.

AL49BGN
10-03-08, 10:00 AM
These veteran organizations were/are put together to aid and/or assist military personnel and veterans in the obtaining of benefits, care, and the protection of those entitlements we earned in serving our country. It's also encumbent of younger men and women joining those ranks to protect those same rights for future military personnel.

Not all events are planned in bars, as not all posts have a bar. I was all state post commander for the VFW one year, and we worked out of a garage.
I have never been a member but I was once invited to join.The one thing that turned me off was that they had members that had never served in any branch of the Military.I can only speak for this one Post in NJ but it seemed like just a place to go to get Drunk.I am sure that they do fine work as well but I just didn't see myself fitting in to this particular Post

ForeverMarine
10-03-08, 10:24 AM
Yea I was asked to join....I didnt mind the bar and drinking part, I minded that it was all services.....Dont know about you guys, but I just cant see eye to eye with most army men, air force women, and whatever other branches.....am I the only one that has that problem? ha

Alpha1Devildog
10-03-08, 10:29 AM
I have never been a member but I was once invited to join.The one thing that turned me off was that they had members that had never served in any branch of the Military.I can only speak for this one Post in NJ but it seemed like just a place to go to get Drunk.I am sure that they do fine work as well but I just didn't see myself fitting in to this particular Post

That's too bad, and I'm sorry for that. We were extremely active in our community, pancake breakfasts, chili nights, helping out other veterans, going to the medical centers and doing what we could to make their stays more pleasant. Helping spouses and or their children to cope and/or deal with whatever it was coming down the pike. Dealing with VA staff, and such to get those items the veteran might need when he or she went home. It behhoves us to support organizations like this in either paying your dues or getting out there and helping out. If you don't care for a certain post go to the organizations website on the internet and find another in your area to support.

Alpha1Devildog
10-03-08, 10:41 AM
Come on Marines. . . . Get your arses busy and support those that supported you. Get busy and get ready to support those that will need you. Lay these ideas aside about dealing with other services, and be the leaders I know you to be. . . You don't have to belly up to the bar unless you want to, and as a matter of fact the other guys may well respect you for it.

AL49BGN
10-03-08, 11:15 AM
Come on Marines. . . . Get your arses busy and support those that supported you. Get busy and get ready to support those that will need you. Lay these ideas aside about dealing with other services, and be the leaders I know you to be. . . You don't have to belly up to the bar unless you want to, and as a matter of fact the other guys may well respect you for it.
Alpha I will check out the website and check to see about another Post but I can only speak for that one Post.For all I know they did great things.However when I saw that civilians were members because they needed members.I also do not mean family members but people from the town that joined to have a place to go drink for less.Anyway that is only one Post out of many.

Alpha1Devildog
10-03-08, 11:15 AM
And one more thing, if you don't like the VFW, there's also the Disabled American Veterans, the American Legion, AMVETS, Marine Corps League, Military Order of the Purple Heart, and side organizations in these organizations, most of which I'm a life member. Get out and support, get out and get involved, and more importantly, get out and have some fun. Quite taking yourselves so seriously. Life's to short, enjoy what's been laid in front of you.

boomer56328
10-03-08, 11:21 AM
I didn't know civilins were even able to join an organization like this. Were they families of veterans or anything like that. I don't have a problem being in an organization w/ the other services, but having civilians seems odd to me.

AL49BGN
10-03-08, 11:39 AM
I didn't know civilins were even able to join an organization like this. Were they families of veterans or anything like that. I don't have a problem being in an organization w/ the other services, but having civilians seems odd to me.
They were civilians not family members and that is what left a bad taste in my mouth.I believe that they just treated that Post like a corner Bar.I again do not know what they did for Vets I never went back or discussed activities with any members.Alpha is right I am sure that other Post aren't run that way and we do need to support our brothers.

Alpha1Devildog
10-03-08, 11:41 AM

Like you I don't much care for it either, and one would want to work at correcting that problem by getting further into the ranks of the organization, becoming the National Commander and such. If I, a lowly LCpl can rise in these ranks of these organizations, I know those with much higher ranks than I would/could make a huge difference.

About the civilians, sometimes they're people that want to do their part as well. Not saying that's true with everyone, but there is the exception. Those that couldn't make it into the service for one reason or another that love serving you and others so much. . .But like in anything good, there is always the possibility of abuse or evil if you will.

bootlace15
10-03-08, 02:34 PM
For everyones information especially AL49BGN. VFW stands for Veterans Of Foreign Wars. This means any and all Veterans who served over seasduring war. This is the only organization that has this...

2ndLAADBnWRENCH
10-03-08, 02:50 PM
Wow, Brother Boot Lace said it all!!!

I am a life member of VFW DAV and the Marine Corps League also a member of Scottish American Military Socioty.. One thing I can say about VFW.. If your in thier club every man elbow to elbow was in some mud with the blood!!!!! All military organizations are there for the veteran in one capacity or another. If ya ain't in it its just like Voting for President... Why do you ***** if your not involved....Make a differance be a part and help others and help your local community..

Just my 2 cents...

Mikewebe
10-03-08, 03:03 PM
I joined and never saw any problems with the members of different branches. I no longer belong but am considering rejoining.

MotherGoose
10-03-08, 03:27 PM
They were civilians not family members and that is what left a bad taste in my mouth.I believe that they just treated that Post like a corner Bar.I again do not know what they did for Vets I never went back or discussed activities with any members.Alpha is right I am sure that other Post aren't run that way and we do need to support our brothers.

Well this is total bullshiat, if I can't join the VFW with 12 years of MC service, I don't think others should have that privilege. I had to join the Ladies Auxiliary because I am NOT a veteran of a Foreign War. Even the state commander looked at my DD214 and said I was not eligible. But I suppose if you are in a region where the goods are limited, then if people want to join and support our military.... well I suppose that is good to go, still kinda sticks in my craw.

I'm a life member of the DAV and also a member of the Marine Corps League. Between these 3 organizations, there is plenty to do and support. I ALWAYS encourage young veterans to join so that the torch will be passed.

:flag:

AL49BGN
10-03-08, 04:26 PM
Well this is total bullshiat, if I can't join the VFW with 12 years of MC service, I don't think others should have that privilege. I had to join the Ladies Auxiliary because I am NOT a veteran of a Foreign War. Even the state commander looked at my DD214 and said I was not eligible. But I suppose if you are in a region where the goods are limited, then if people want to join and support our military.... well I suppose that is good to go, still kinda sticks in my craw.

I'm a life member of the DAV and also a member of the Marine Corps League. Between these 3 organizations, there is plenty to do and support. I ALWAYS encourage young veterans to join so that the torch will be passed.

:flag:OOORAH MotherGoose.I totally agree with you,I had the priveledge to serve my country in Desert Storm and was open to joining such an organization.I believe I just encountered a bad situation.I am also going to look into the Marine Corps League I believe that we have an obligation to give back.I am sure that The VFW is a fine organization worth joining.I must again state I do not know if civilians were allowed to attend meeting or not but what I do know is that many their have never served and that post was a local watering hole.

Osotogary
10-03-08, 04:32 PM
I am not a veteran of foreign wars but I think that supporting an organization such as this, as a civilian, can only be a positive step linking support entities to groups of interest. I support the...

AL49BGN
10-03-08, 04:44 PM
You still served and I have no problem with civilians supporting the organization but if it is a Veteren Organization,I believe it should be run by Vets.It is only my opinion.

Phantom Blooper
10-03-08, 04:58 PM
I support the local VFW here in Jacksonville...I am not a member. I belong to the DAV and Beirut Veterans of America as an active member and participating in affairs.

I am a member of the American Legion although I do not participate in the affairs.... again.... I do support as much as possible.

If you volunteer to do one thing....then you are asked to do a hundred other things and the same veterans are always stepping up to the plate. I limit my time and volunteering and mainly focus on those two organizations.

The VFW does have a bar in it and has dances....and different social functions that are open to the public. When I did go.... you either had to be a veteran or sponsored by someone to go to the bar. After the overhead the proceeds do go to supporting veteran causes and families and donating time and monies to the VA hospitals and different school scholarships and community based activities.

The Marine Corps was founded in a tavern...and YES you do have the regulars,old salts and lushes that frequent the bar as soon as it opens either for a drink or food. So to lump ALL VF W's into this category is not factual. Just like the local hangout in a town where one becomes a regular and the barstool has your azz cheek impression on it at closing and is still warm at noon the next day! The only difference is the total funds go back to the owner, employees,stock,and overhead. Except for a yearly donation or a cookout the funds received stay in the house. Not so for the local veteran organizations.

Yes there are plenty of reports that the monies are mishandled at the sometimes state and national levels with lavish lifestyles but if you go to your local chapters and ask to see a financial report for the year you will more than likely find that the wealth from dues and charitable functions are staying in the community to help the veteran and the families of veterans. CHEERS!:beer:

:evilgrin:

Osotogary
10-04-08, 05:54 AM
"I believe it should be run by Vets. It is only my opinion."- AL49BGN

I agree with you AL49BGN. Of coarse it should be run by veterans or at least overseen by veterans but, as you may well know, a well meaning, intelligent and capable veteran may not be the best of business partners. The same can be said for a non-veteran. It all boils down to doing what is best for the organization/chapter by consensus approval of it's members especially within a non-profit organization.
All the best to you, AL49BGN. Thank you for your service to your Country.

karl2534
10-04-08, 08:07 AM
test

Alpha1Devildog
10-04-08, 08:11 AM
test

Test works

Old Marine
10-04-08, 09:00 AM

:flag:

The name of the organization say it all. VFW - Veterans Of Foreign Wars. Foreign is the key word.

FistFu68
10-04-08, 11:41 AM
:usmc: THE V.F.W. POST I AM A LIFE MEMBER OF IS 110 MILES AWAY,I GO TOO THE AMTRAC STATION BY MY HOUSE I JUMP ON SO FAR IT'S BEEN A ROUND TRIP(LOL).I STAY AT A FAIRLY DECIENT HOTEL A FEW BLOCKS AWAY ONCE A MONTH.THE OLD TIMERS IN THERE,ARE MOSTLY ALL WW11 MEN;IT'S DARN HARD BUYING A DRINK ONCE THEY KNOW YOU'R A 'NAM VET.DON'T TRY PULLING THAT CHALLENGE COIN CRAP EITHER,'CAUSE THE ARMY BOY'S ARE HIP 2IT ALSO;THEY GOT THEIRS ALSO.I HAVE MET SOME MEN,THAT I CONSIDER AS FRIENDS;I'VE BEEN A LONE WOLF SINCE '68.I FEEL AT HOME WITH THESE MEN,THAT'S RARE BELIEVE ME.S/F JACK :beer: :iwo:

Old Marine
10-04-08, 03:40 PM
Last time I heard we all bleed good ole red American blood.

YutYut
10-04-08, 07:16 PM
I thought Marines bleed green?! I need to get a check up... ;)

FistFu68
10-04-08, 08:10 PM
:beer: (LOL) I HEARD THAT.EVERYTIME I LEAVE THAT JOINT,I'M ****ING GREEN;@ IT AIN'T ST.PATTYS DAY EITHER :D :iwo:

ggyoung
10-05-08, 12:42 PM
These veteran org. are for the service members and there families. They help other veterans get what he has earned by being the service. Remember that the government will do everything it can to stop...

Alpha1Devildog
10-05-08, 02:56 PM
As Chief of the Prosthetic and Sensory Aids programs at VA Medical Centers around the country, I can say for a certainty that no veteran ever went without the prosthetic/orthotic items and appliances needed in their care and treatment as long as there was a medical indication of need, and they met the eligibility criteria for those items. I also know there are many in the government that work their rears off to get those things/treatments for which a veteran is eligibile.

To throw out a blanet statment such as that is just not fair, nor is it accurate. Do you have to make sure you have all your ducks in a row? Absolutely, and the veterans service organizations can assist you with that, and so can a few within the Department of Veterans Affairs that are there to assist you. If you feel there has been an injustice, there's an appeal process, and yes that can take some time, but there are many steps you can go through before you get there, e.g., writting your congressmen to seek their help in obtaining services. . . I've paid the value of some new automobiles for certain prosthetic items, you try to get your private insurance to pay that much for a prosthetic device. I've purchased wheelchairs for sports and everyday in excess of $2,000 each, so I know that if you meet the medical entiitlement criteria, and your eligible, you'll get those things you need.

The veterans service organizations that have been listed can assist you in determining what you may or may not be eligible for, they are there to help and support.

ggyoung
10-05-08, 04:31 PM
A1D=======Go into the Khe Sanh veterans web page go into 2nd Bn 94 arty web page and read the nightmare acounts that they have had getting what was promised them, you and me. BTW the 2ed bn 94 arty US ARMY was one of units who fired for the Marines at Khe Sanh and saved there a$$'s They were very good at what they did. It has taken me about 25 years to get what was promised me by our government. The government is still screwing with the WW2 vets taking things away. Look at the bones army at the start of of the great depression when they marched on washington dc and the president told the us army to get ride of them. Make them leave. Patton and MacArthur are leading the us army to get ride of them. It has been the samething through history, when the country goes to war they look to God and the military to protect them. When the war is over they throw away God and the minatory. What is going to happen to our young troops when they get older?????????????????????????????

Ed Palmer
10-05-08, 04:37 PM
It is called the ****ing you get for the ****ing you got,
and it leaves you with a big RED ASXHOLE

ggyoung
10-05-08, 04:40 PM
A1D=======I am not mad at the VA hospitals and there staff. It is the policy makers that I'm mad at and the government. The VA hospital at Salk Lake City, Utah is outstanding.

Alpha1Devildog
10-05-08, 04:50 PM
Then I would concur and glad you clarified that. I fought to justify my budgets each and every quarter and fiscal year. When they told me to tell veterans I didn't have the money I told them I would...

ggyoung
10-05-08, 05:13 PM
A1D Thankyou. I smoetimes get carried away and put words and say words that I should have been more clear.Vote them out you say and others say the samething. If only it was that easy. The way the system is set up we can never vote all of them out. With elections every 2 years and only half of them turds up for re-election there is no way it can be done.

Alpha1Devildog
10-05-08, 06:09 PM
A1D Thankyou. I smoetimes get carried away and put words and say words that I should have been more clear.Vote them out you say and others say the samething. If only it was that easy. The way the system is set up we can never vote all of them out. With elections every 2 years and only half of them turds up for re-election there is no way it can be done.

Winning the freedoms this country has enjoyed since Washington's time was anything but easy. Fighting to save this country will be anything but easy. It's not a time for timidity in this country, but great faith, great strides. . . Anything worth having is worth a little blood. . . Hang in there guys, it going to get interesting and tough out there.

Wyoming
10-05-08, 11:20 PM
This thread is about the VFW.

Four of us joined in Tustin California in 1968. We were treated like **** by the old-timers, us all being a VietNam Vets.

The only reason I go to the V these days is for the drinks and chippies.

PaidinBlood
10-05-08, 11:35 PM
So out of all of you who had multiple memberships, do you have preference between orgs? Does it just depend on your local posts/chapters?

Alpha1Devildog
10-06-08, 09:07 AM
So out of all of you who had multiple memberships, do you have preference between orgs? Does it just depend on your local posts/chapters?

I actually prefer the Veterans of Foreign Wars, but in keeping with what ggyoung was saying. . . I could just as easily lay the blame for our losses as veterans in our benefits at the feet of our service organizations, as those in congress. Seems there are so many a varied views on who we should support for president, who we should put in congress, what benefits we whould be fighting for and protecting. . . . It's a shame we can't somehow come together in all of this and pull the same way, but again, it boils down to who puts what in our pockets, and as long as I got mine, heck with the rest. . .

Each organization has it's own merits. . . I've worked with and in both the VFW and Disabled American Veterans.

ErikHeiker
10-07-08, 11:56 PM

Like other service organizations, the VFW has a men's and women's auxiliary that allows those who never served or who didn't go to war to join in that capacity, if they have a qualifying relative who is eligible for VFW membership. So just because there are civilians at a VFW post doesn't mean they aren't legitimate members. When I joined the VFW, I had to show proof that I was eligible. I would hope other posts are as diligent in verifying membership eligibility, whether it be member or auxiliary.

ErikHeiker
10-08-08, 12:06 AM

As far as service organizations go, the big three are the VFW, American Legion and AmVets. All three have web sites you can check out. But the best thing for you to do is to visit all the local posts of all three in your area. A post is only as good as its membership. We have a good VFW post in my town. In the next town over, the VFW post is dead, but the American Legion is going really strong. 40 miles away, in the big city, all three have strong posts. Check them all out and see which one is best for you. All three were looking out for me when I was serving. Now that I'm retired, I want to look out for the current and future generations of veterans.

ggyoung
10-08-08, 10:55 AM
Marines. Air Force, Navy, Army or USCG they all served and did there duty. If you can't site down and have a drink and good time with them then maybe you should not join. Some of my best friends were in other branches. They all served and a lot of them bled red blood just like me.

MotherGoose
10-08-08, 11:13 AM
This thread is about the VFW.

Four of us joined in Tustin California in 1968. We were treated like **** by the old-timers, us all being a VietNam Vets.

The only reason I go to the V these days is for the drinks and chippies.

well I think that is a shame. I still see it happen today. Some of the old timers can be condescending to younger vets, turning the younger vets off from organizations like the VFW.

cw2533
10-08-08, 12:56 PM
Yes it should only be military that served overseas during war but the sad thing is that most of the people that are at the post in my town are civilians coming to drink. The MCL only allows Marines and Navy corpman that served with them to join that makes for a better environment, thats why I'm a life member.

AL49BGN
10-08-08, 01:52 PM
As far as service organizations go, the big three are the VFW, American Legion and AmVets. All three have web sites you can check out. But the best thing for you to do is to visit all the local posts of all three in your area. A post is only as good as its membership. We have a good VFW post in my town. In the next town over, the VFW post is dead, but the American Legion is going really strong. 40 miles away, in the big city, all three have strong posts. Check them all out and see which one is best for you. All three were looking out for me when I was serving. Now that I'm retired, I want to look out for the current and future generations of veterans.
I can't stress it enough that I am only speaking about my experience with that one post.That one post just wasn't for me.I am sure that if I check out another Post I will find it to be run differently.I certainly do not mean to disparage the VFW as an organization.

USMCmailman
10-08-08, 05:51 PM
As an active Member of the VFW, I know that you must have an existing Veteran Member sponsor any civilian. My best friend is not a Veteran, but he respects all Veterans and our Service to the Country. Besides, whats wrong with a couple of beers with a Friend????It does not mean that you have to get drunk to have a good time--------GROW-UP!:beer:

nightstalker2
10-08-08, 10:11 PM
when in need and wanting assistance these veterans/civilians help no matter what branch of service, color of skin or religious belief, they come and help and not asking questions.