PDA

View Full Version : Got doubts? Regrets?

madsox
10-01-08, 10:21 PM
Me - was a weekend warrior in the 80s, got out just before Desert Storm (tried to get back in for it, Prior Service Recruiters said "yeah, take a number bro, everybody tryin' to get back in now") Back in again after a couple of years so I got up to 10 good years, then went IRR and after the last few years let the contract expire.

So no active duty other than training, no combat time, too late for the Nam (not my DIs, though!), couldn't get in to the Sandbox... Some times, like lately, I get the regrets that I was never a "real" Marine. Feel guilty telling people I'm a former Marine, just cryin in my beer...

Most of the time I'm fine, I went IRR and then gave up the Corps to get married, become a Dad, raise a family (two fine daughters, nice house in the burbs, good career in high-end IT under way) and I seem to be doing okay in that life. But sometimes I wonder if I shoulda stayed in. Gotten some time under fire. Done my 20. And so on.

Is it just me?

Not sure why I'm wondering this tonight, I just am.

Semper Fi, though, always!

sparkie
10-01-08, 10:45 PM
I got married, raised 3 great kids, worked my whole life. Whats to regret??I am my kids hero. And my wife of 37 years. I could easially die with a smile. You, Sir,,,,, Need to regroup. SF.

sparkie
10-01-08, 10:49 PM
Oh,,,, By the way,,,,,, I carry a big dose of Survivors Regret.

davblay
10-01-08, 11:03 PM
SSgt, on the 13th of February 1970, the day I got hurt in Nam, is a day I will never forget in my lifetime! But, because I was MEDEVAC'd, I have always felt like some Marine may have died in my place! It's like I feel like I let my brothers down by leaving or something! Being a Marine is being a Warrior, and we all have the heart of a Warrior or we would not be Marines! PERIOD!

My PTSD shrink said that this is delayed guilt for leaving my buds over there without even saying goodbye to any of them! We all have our cross to bare, brother. Be proud to be a member of our beloved brotherhood! Ours is not to question why, ours is to do or die! Remember that one?

Oh, and Sparkie....don't we all?

Semper Fi,

Dave

sparkie
10-01-08, 11:29 PM
Must we all grieve? Do we, as old warriors have to long to have made a bigger difference? All we have left are tears, and some little pride. I thank God for my brothers, I could not bare this alone.

ErikHeiker
10-02-08, 01:37 AM
I gave the Marine Corps six years of my life. For that, I have no regrets. I knew I didn't want to raise a family by having to always uproot and move them them at someone else's convenience. I would have gone Marine Reserve, but there were no units in my home state, so I joined the Guard. I had the best of both worlds...a military career and living in my home state. My Guard career allowed me to travel all over the world and gave me experiences that most people couldn't even begin to imagine. I joined the Marine Corps too late to go to Nam and too early to go to any other combat zone. Some say I should consider myself lucky, but I also felt I didn't do enough in those six years. At least with the Guard I got to go to Afghanistan and do my duty.

mrbsox
10-02-08, 06:02 AM
So no active duty other than training, no combat time, too late for the Nam (not my DIs, though!), couldn't get in to the Sandbox... Some times, like lately, I get the regrets that I was never a "real" Marine. Feel guilty telling people I'm a former Marine, just cryin in my beer...

Not sure why I'm wondering this tonight, I just am.

Semper Fi, though, always!

I know the feeling SSgt. Somehow, being a 'Cold War' Vet just doesn't feel complete, for a warrior. But I always thank those that fought before me, so that I didn't have to.

But do you find times when your pride and training make a difference in your life, or those around you ??
Then you ARE a Marine. Always, and Faithful to the core, as well as to the Corps.

Your DD-214 says you paid your dues. Your stripes say you made a difference, carried a commitment. What more can a Marine do, with what he is offered.

Semper Fi

madsox
10-02-08, 06:20 AM
But do you find times when your pride and training make a difference in your life, or those around you ??
Then you ARE a Marine. Always, and Faithful to the core, as well as to the Corps.

Thanks, all - you just helped me readjust my brainpan. A lot!

I think the LCpl's question above is just what I needed to be reminded of - the answers are "yes, almost every day". So I think I'll pick my ass back up, get in gear and quit griping.

I stood ready for my time to go wherever the Corps might need me, it just happened that I was lucky enough that Uncle Sam didn't have to call. Thanks to my "older brothers" for that!

And now back to work - my new duties call, but that Marine is always inside here. No doubt.

Semper Fi!

:flag:

ForeverMarine
10-02-08, 06:22 AM
Sparkie....It took me a year to get over my survivors guilt.....right after I got out I went to go visit my best friend that took care of my all my years in the Marine Corps....He was hit by a road side bomb but had little damage physically, but had major PTSD which the VA gave him 20% for.....This guy wont ride in vehicles anymore, nightmares......and im telling you he calls me once a week drunk in Mexico not knowing where he is.....I invited him to come live with me but he refuses.....

But having him like that and I knew alot of guys that lost their legs, arms, and KIA....it took me a long time....every now and then i still have regrets....and for what? I regret that I didnt get shot? die? blown up? I mean thats stupid that I think I have regrets....

Bottom line we all served, we all did what the Marine Corps told us to do....I know people that have been in Iraq 2 years total and never ever seen any combat and I know people been there 2 weeks and got hit....Its just wrong place wrong time really....but either way.....You did you time, honorably, and God Bless everyone!

SemperFi!