PDA

View Full Version : Chances of a lateral move?

xelement417
10-01-08, 07:01 PM
I just graduated bootcamp and am currently labled as a reservist. I really want to go active and with that i would really like to change my job if possible. Can anyone give me advice or does anyone have any knowledge on what I should do?

PaidinBlood
10-01-08, 09:11 PM
Congratulations, brother. All I can say is talk to your recruiter over your "boot" leave (can we still say that?) and work over the options. Take the time when you're home and remember why you chose to be a Reserve Marine (close to home, jobs, etc.) Take your time before rushing to a change - time is on your side for once. ;-) s/f

DOWORK1
10-01-08, 09:16 PM
What job are you wanting to do? What is your current mos?

xelement417
10-01-08, 10:10 PM
i want to switch to infantry, my current mos is a tank crewman

PaidinBlood
10-01-08, 11:03 PM
Suppose that would be easy-<in theory="">armor is usually pretty small and only critical MOS's can get you out of the grunts (I know). Not going to talk your ear off with counseling; just give it time. Check out your tank school and unit. If it sucks, you are probably in the right place. If you get some stripes and it still sucks, then maybe you ought to move. It will be easier with some time behind ya, anyway. Normal rule for LatMoves is 2 yrs, good record, basic proficiency (PFT/rifle/BCP) and that is just off the top of my head. Couldn't hurt to ask a recruiter about your options first...</in>

UsmcMotorT
10-03-08, 08:49 PM
Talk to your career counselor.

Haffner
10-03-08, 11:56 PM
You don't even know your job yet to know you don't want it, haha. You won't be able to lat move BEFORE you go to school. Two years time on station, IE two years of fleet time, is the "standard" before anyone will let you lat move.