PDA

View Full Version : Requesting opinions and advice

NeedSomePT
10-01-08, 06:59 PM
Let me start out by saying that I'm supposed to be shipping Oct 14th.

So for a while now (weeks possibly months) I've been having pain in my hip (especially right) whenever I move my leg. I tried taking some days off to rest, then hit up again but the pain came back. I tried doing more stretches than usual, I tried putting ice and heat, none helped. Today I went to the doctor because in the past few days it had been getting worse every day. He said it seems like I pulled the muscles and for all this time have been trying to train through it so that definitely did not help. He told me I should take at least a week or two off and prescribed me some meds.

Now I don't think that it is too unreasonable to think it is not a great idea to to go bootcamp while already having a problem or just getting through recovering from taking 12 days off with no running and less PTing.

I told him that I'm supposed to ship to boot camp on the 14th, and with all the running and PTing that will be going on I wondered what he thought about that. He said that it might be possible that I could go through with it no problem, but that it would be safer to wait another couple weeks possibly until the beginning of November to ship.

While part of me really wants to finally get it done with and ship now, I also don't want to go in with a bad condition like this and have it affect me by either actually getting a more serious injury, or just getting sent to the sickbay and have to rest for however long it takes. Either way it doesn't sound like an ideal plan and if I have to rest, doing it at home seems like a much better alternative for many reasons.

What would you guys do (poolees and Marines)? Finally, if I should have my date pushed back, what would be the best way of telling the recruiter?

gnarkill04
10-01-08, 07:36 PM
I would say definitely push it to November. To me it seems like there would be nothing worse than to get sent home from an injury. Just tell your recruiter you pulled a muscle and want to go into boot camp when your leg is feeling a little better, he should be fine with it. Good luck. :beer:

sparkie
10-01-08, 08:08 PM
You paid the DR. for help and advice,,,,, take it. Tell your recruter you ain't haking it for awhile, get a note, and make a copy, cause it might take a waver. Cover the bases, and heal up. Boot ain't no place to heal.

HurricaneRJ
10-01-08, 08:20 PM
Your going in the winter. You don't PT that much at all, if you do it's not a lot.

If your slightly hurt, your SDI will take care of you. If your a recruit with some promise, your SDI will want to keep you. He'll be feeding you Moltrin for breakfast.

Old Marine
10-01-08, 09:29 PM
Your going in the winter. You don't PT that much at all, if you do it's not a lot.

If your slightly hurt, your SDI will take care of you. If your a recruit with some promise, your SDI will want to keep you. He'll be feeding you Moltrin for breakfast.

Since when do Drill Instructors dispense medicine to their recruits. That is a NO-NO and big trouble lies ahead for anyone who does it. Winter or summer there is plenty of PT in Recruit Training, trust me.:evilgrin:

mrmorency
10-01-08, 09:35 PM
Not to interrupt... but I didn't hear anything about less PT in winter until this.

gnarkill04
10-01-08, 09:37 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and assume for everyone's sake it was sarcasm..

Pete0331
10-01-08, 11:28 PM
If you do go to BC as you are now a few things may happen:

1) You will be stopped at MEPS and they will send you home until you are ready.
2) You get through MEPS and you break yourself during training. You will be sent to a rehab platoon for as long as need be, then you will be put back into training where you left off.
3) You get through MEPS and the Drill Instructor finds out you are seriously hurt, you will be put in the rehab platoon.
4) You go through BC hurt and you are only able to scrape by with the bare minimum.

Wait until you are sure there won't be any physical problems.

SlingerDun
10-02-08, 03:49 AM
I tweeked a hip Greco with a college wrestler in '91... council with a customer who is also an orthopedic surgeon say's it's probably a tendon or ligament tear and obviously inflamed, you should take time off to heal...after you shoe my horses of coursehttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

I never did, take time off that is. Figured it was more important to meet bills than to be free of hip pain and homeless. 17 years later after an average day of work the left hip aches chronic, same exact spot all these years. After long day's i limp and ache. It doesn't walk off.

--->Dave

2ndLAADBnWRENCH
10-02-08, 04:15 AM
Take your sick chit from Dr to the recruiter and cover your bases. Take relative like Dad and have the recruiter tell you and him what he is going to do to get his quota with out sacraficeing your health or start in the Corps. Better safe than sorry.

Good Luck n God Speed

HurricaneRJ
10-02-08, 05:06 AM
Since when do Drill Instructors dispense medicine to their recruits. That is a NO-NO and big trouble lies ahead for anyone who does it. Winter or summer there is plenty of PT in Recruit Training, trust me.:evilgrin:
I only PT'ed 9 times in boot camp. Now, quarterdeck sessions, and the pit happened a lot, but they all consisted of the same pain agonizing exercises.

Now, he may hurt himself in MCMAP training, or the Confidence Course.

Old Marine
10-02-08, 08:31 AM
Not to interrupt... but I didn't hear anything about less PT in winter until this.

Never fear, there is plenty of PT to make sure everyone gets some.

Old Marine
10-02-08, 08:34 AM
I only PT'ed 9 times in boot camp. Now, quarterdeck sessions, and the pit happened a lot, but they all consisted of the same pain agonizing exercises.

Now, he may hurt himself in MCMAP training, or the Confidence Course.

So, what are you trying to say and what does this post have to do with the Drill Instructor dispensing medicine? Engage brain housing then speak.

temarti
10-02-08, 10:03 AM
I only PT'ed 9 times in boot camp

Winter in PI is only bad towards the end of Jan and Feb. It is cold however if I can recall there is not flag condition in the winter months. Black flag during the summer disrupts more training, even in the fleet. Plus, how were you able to count you only PT'd 9 times, in three months of boot. So basically, you guys only ran PT once a week...

jrhd97
10-02-08, 10:20 AM
I have never heard of a Drill Instructor handing out any kind of meds. Good way to loose a stripe or two. Popping Motrin like candy is terrible for your stomach. Motrin will actually eat your stomach line-ing when taken in excess.
Take the extra time to heal. Even if you only pt 9 times ( ???? ) between the QD and the pit you will have more motivational pt than you thought possible. You really don't want recycled and spend 6 months on the island instead of 3.

NeedSomePT
10-02-08, 03:36 PM
Thank you all for the advice. The Corps isn't going anywhere, it will still be here after I heal up. I tried calling my recruiter today to give him the news but he wasn't available so I spoke to one of the other recruiters and he said he will have him call me back.
I wlll post again when I have an update.

srinaldo86
10-02-08, 03:51 PM
Best of luck man, sorry to hear I wont be seeing you there.

Old Marine
10-02-08, 04:06 PM
Winter in PI is only bad towards the end of Jan and Feb. It is cold however if I can recall there is not flag condition in the winter months. Black flag during the summer disrupts more training, even in the fleet. Plus, how were you able to count you only PT'd 9 times, in three months of boot. So basically, you guys only ran PT once a week...

Do they also run up the Black Flag In Iraq when the weather gets to hot????