PDA

View Full Version : Relationships Between Different Branches

lagirl09
10-01-08, 02:51 PM
I am in the Marine DEP and my ship date is June 1, 2009. I have wanted to join the Marines since I was 9 and haven't really ever considered much else. I still want to join the Marines, but I am now in a relationship with a guy in the Air Force. He first of all does not understand how I feel about the Marines, and no matter how much I try to explain it he just doesn't get it. We are planning on getting married in May, but he doesn't think that a marriage through two different branches will work. I talked to my recruiter and he said that we could probably get stationed in California together. This may be true, but I do understand that even though I really like my recruiter and he has probably helped me out more than anyone else, that it is his job to get me shipped out. I understand that he gets paid to get people to enlist. So I'm looking for another opinion. My boyfriend said that he got onto a military web-site and posted on a thread there and some people told him that it was highly unlikely. They said that marriage within one branch is usually do-able, but two different branches is almost never possible. He says that he is not willing to chance his future. I understand this, but I really want to go. I even offered to pick another MOS because the MOS I picked has a high deployment rate. I picked data comm and this is mainly because it is highly deployable and even though not technically infantry because females cannot be in infantry, but it can be with an infantry unit. I then offered to go reserves, which is something that I really did not want to do. He said I could use his gi bill and go to college after we were married. This is all fine and dandy, but guess what still no marines. Also, I do not think I could go to a good college because I prepared my life around going to the Marines. There has never been another option. I took hard enough classes in high school and got good enough grades, but still they were not that good. One other thing is that he thinks I love the Marines more than him because I know a lot about them and talk about them often. He is afraid that I am going to find another guy who is a Marine and fall for him, etc, etc. So I do not know what to do. There is a lot more I could say, but this is already pretty long. Please, give me plenty of advice.

lagirl09
10-01-08, 02:56 PM
Oh, and he doesn't think that females should have to endure that kind of basic training because they are females. Boy, does that one really get me going.

OB MSG
10-01-08, 03:10 PM
How bad do you want to be a Marine? For that matter why are you getting married at 17?! You haven't even truly lived yet. Yeah, it's true you could be stationed near each other, but the chances are slim at best. Notice I said near, and near means same continent, possibly same side of that continent.

My advice to you is to not get married, your recruiter should have said the same thing. Take a long hard look at what you truly want, where you want to go, and how much support your boyfriend is going to give you so that you can realize your dream.

If you truly love each other enough to get married this young, then you can wait a little longer and be that much more certain once you've done what you need to do.

On the evil side though, yeah, his worries are well founded. We Marines are well practiced at stealing girls from the other services. Must be something about the uniform, I'm not 100% sure.

Good luck with your boyfriend, but don't let him get in the way if you truly want to be one of us!

thewookie
10-01-08, 03:20 PM
This is one of the funniest posts, and profiles that I've seen in this site for a while,,, Cassidy Lovelace,,,,, right.

Who is this - I bet it's some Marine or another funny guy/girl who's killing some time on duty?

The whole profile is hilarious. No way is this real. :evilgrin:

sscjoe
10-01-08, 03:23 PM
Look at it this way you are only 17, maybe you should do a search on how many service marriages actually last the term of enlistment. At your age it's not love so take control of your destiny. Maybe you should also PM some of my Marine sisters and chat with them. I know I sound cold hearted but at this time it should be about you and not your boyfriend. Go be a Marine.

DOWORK1
10-01-08, 03:25 PM
If you are planning on getting married to this man and truly love him, then I would advise you from going active duty in the Marine Corps. Relationships usually do not work out in these types of situations. I am a married man in the reserves. Before I was married I had a long time girlfriend in the Army. It was very difficult for the both of us and we ultimately went our separate ways. She is now married to another soldier. You said earlier you would even consider a different job that would not deploy as much? You might want to consider a different service. Do you understand that the Marines are here to stand ready when the nation is the least ready? YOU BECOME A MARINE BECAUSE YOU WANT TO GET IN THE FIGHT. Your only 17 and you have a lot to learn in life. Are you ready to be a Marine? I don't think so or you would have told your boyfriend your leaving and if he is still there when you get back then that's great. Why don't you go Air Force? This way you can be with him?

OB MSG
10-01-08, 03:28 PM
Wook,

You could be right, I've been staring at a comp screen for about 5 hours now, so my brain might be a little fuzzy.

Think I'll go PT.

Marine84
10-01-08, 07:58 PM
I got the popcorn on this one Wookie - LOL!

Phantom Blooper
10-01-08, 08:11 PM
I, Poolee Showershoe, take you the United States Marine Corps to be my lawfully wedded life,
knowing in my heart that you will be
my constant friend,
my faithful partner in life,
and my one true love.
On this special day of arriving at the MCRD,
I will give to you
in the presence of God and all those in attendance at DEP my pledge&sacred promise to stay by your side as your faithful servant
in sickness and in health,
in joy and in sorrow, as well as
through the good times and the bad .
I further promise to love you without reservation,
honor and respect you, give you my 110% and
provide for your needs as best I can.
I will protect you from harm,
comfort you in times of distress,
grow with you in mind and spirit,
always be open and honest with you,
and cherish you for as long as we both shall live!!!!!!!!

This says nothing about Air Force! :evilgrin:

Popcorn,chips,candy,beer,hard liquor,Zoloft,Trazadone... whatever it takes Marine84!
Where is "Dear Chili" when you need him?

sparkie
10-01-08, 08:14 PM
He sounds controlling,,,,, You sound soapoperaish,,,,,,, I feel lied to,,,,, Either choose, or beam me up.

84,,,Pass me a beer.

BR34
10-01-08, 08:48 PM
Your BOYfriend seems very unsupportive of your dreams! This, before you even get married is a VERY bad sign of things to come. He's asking you to give up your dreams before you even start to live your life.

I know how it is to be your age, so I know there's really nothing we can say to change your mind, but from what you describe about him it seems like it's him you need to forget about, and go after your life long dreams.

One day, far and long from now, when your pregnant with his 4th child, and you're 22 years old living on Podunk, North Dakota Airbase you'll look back at all this and wish you would have went for your dreams.

Sucks too, cause you could have been greatness...but you settled on being just another Air Force housewife.

BTW, what RSS are you out of?

Troutzilla
10-01-08, 10:36 PM
I got the popcorn on this one Wookie - LOL!

Hey 84....
Could I get a big bowl from you to go along with this...

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/8733/beer2nf5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/beer2nf5.jpg/1/w320.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img355/beer2nf5.jpg/1/)

0231Marine
10-02-08, 07:37 AM
I am in the Marine DEP and my ship date is June 1, 2009. I have wanted to join the Marines since I was 9 and haven't really ever considered much else. I still want to join the Marines, but I am now in a relationship with a guy in the Air Force. He first of all does not understand how I feel about the Marines, and no matter how much I try to explain it he just doesn't get it. We are planning on getting married in May, but he doesn't think that a marriage through two different branches will work. I talked to my recruiter and he said that we could probably get stationed in California together. This may be true, but I do understand that even though I really like my recruiter and he has probably helped me out more than anyone else, that it is his job to get me shipped out. I understand that he gets paid to get people to enlist. So I'm looking for another opinion. My boyfriend said that he got onto a military web-site and posted on a thread there and some people told him that it was highly unlikely. They said that marriage within one branch is usually do-able, but two different branches is almost never possible. He says that he is not willing to chance his future. I understand this, but I really want to go. I even offered to pick another MOS because the MOS I picked has a high deployment rate. I picked data comm and this is mainly because it is highly deployable and even though not technically infantry because females cannot be in infantry, but it can be with an infantry unit. I then offered to go reserves, which is something that I really did not want to do. He said I could use his gi bill and go to college after we were married. This is all fine and dandy, but guess what still no marines. Also, I do not think I could go to a good college because I prepared my life around going to the Marines. There has never been another option. I took hard enough classes in high school and got good enough grades, but still they were not that good. One other thing is that he thinks I love the Marines more than him because I know a lot about them and talk about them often. He is afraid that I am going to find another guy who is a Marine and fall for him, etc, etc. So I do not know what to do. There is a lot more I could say, but this is already pretty long. Please, give me plenty of advice.

Just some observations from what I'm seeing...

1) You need to ditch the boyfriend because anyone who puts down the Marines training and is trying to discourgage you from giving up your dreams when you're 17 is no type of guy that you need. Just because he didn't have the testicular fortitude to go into the Marine Corps doesn't mean that you shouldn't.

2) Marines is always capitalized!

3) Marriage between two people in different services is incredibly difficult to sustain. There is no garuntee that you'll recieve a duty station anywhere near him following your MOS school. Even if you did, the chances of you seeing eachother anymore than weekends is greatly diminished, no matter what MOS you choose. I married a Marine while I was still in, we were in the same company, we deployed together although our command seperated us while deployed and then she recieved orders to Okinawa. To make a long story short, I chose our marriage over continuing my carrer in the Marine Corps. I got out and she re-enlisted to get out of the unaccompanied tour to Okinawa. Now it that was a decision I had to make with me being married to a Marine in the same unit as I was, what kind of decision do you think you're going to have to make with your husband being in a completely different service? Just trying to give you perspective here.

4) Even if you are in Data-Comm, you'll never serve with an infantry unit because you're a female. You may be on one of the bigger bases like Camp Fallujah where an infantry unit is co-located but don't ever expect to set foot anywhere near one of their units. It is few and far between that an infantry unit even sees a female during their deployment so don't get it in your head that you're going to be working with them.

5) Tell your boyfriend to grow up!

6) Wookie, I think she's legit. Do you really think a Marine was so bored that they'd create such an extensive profile and write such a lengthy message if it wasn't real? Try helping and teaching these young civilians instead of criticizing and calling them liars.

thewookie
10-02-08, 08:47 AM
6) Wookie, I think she's legit. Do you really think a Marine was so bored that they'd create such an extensive profile and write such a lengthy message if it wasn't real? Try helping and teaching these young civilians instead of criticizing and calling them liars.

:) Roger that.

I should have done some investigation first; once I did, I realized I might have missed that one.

Still, can't take back the laugh I had,,, and if I was still in - I would definitely be on this site f-in with you guys with fake and/ or made up profiles... but I have a twisted sense of humour.

THAT AINT IT
10-02-08, 10:21 AM
First of all, why do you want to get married? You're 17 freaking years old. Second, why are you letting someone dictate how you live your life? Are you seriously going to give up this dream of becoming a Marine for a guy? Is he really worth living a life that your not happy with? If you do decide not to join to be with him, you're going to look back 10 years from now when you have 8 crib midgets and say to yourself I skipped out on the greatest thing in the world for this? If he loves you or whatever, he should support you in this not put you down.

oh and another thing...if the Marine Corps had wanted you to have a husband they would've issued you one.

jrhd97
10-02-08, 10:37 AM
Don't get married. Statistically it will fail. Heck the divorce rate is over 50% for civilians. Wait until you have at least one enlistment done before tieing the know.
As for him. He is a week, insecure, controlling little bum. Of course he doesn't want you in the Corps. All his buds will laugh at him for having a chick with more sack than he has. His ego can't handle that. Yes he is afraid you will find some one else. You will be around a bunch of Men, not boy scouts with pretty blue uniforms.
Ditch the guy and live your life. You to are in lust, not love, huge difference.

jrhd97
10-02-08, 10:39 AM
First of all, why do you want to get married? You're 17 freaking years old. Second, why are you letting someone dictate how you live your life? Are you seriously going to give up this dream of becoming a Marine for a guy? Is he really worth living a life that your not happy with? If you do decide not to join to be with him, you're going to look back 10 years from now when you have 8 crib midgets and say to yourself I skipped out on the greatest thing in the world for this? If he loves you or whatever, he should support you in this not put you down.

oh and another thing...if the Marine Corps had wanted you to have a husband they would've issued you one.
ROTFLMAO!!!! 8 crib midgets, I love that one!

FutureBootLouie
10-02-08, 04:43 PM
Your BOYfriend seems very unsupportive of your dreams! This, before you even get married is a VERY bad sign of things to come. He's asking you to give up your dreams before you even start to live your life.

I know how it is to be your age, so I know there's really nothing we can say to change your mind, but from what you describe about him it seems like it's him you need to forget about, and go after your life long dreams.

One day, far and long from now, when your pregnant with his 4th child, and you're 22 years old living on Podunk, North Dakota Airbase you'll look back at all this and wish you would have went for your dreams.

Sucks too, cause you could have been greatness...but you settled on being just another Air Force housewife.

BTW, what RSS are you out of?

Unsupportive of her dreams?? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I don't want the girl I want to spend the rest of my life with deployed all the time to Iraq and Afghanistan and I only ever get to see her when I get leave.

If you and this guy are truly in love with eachother and are THAT serious, then get married and go to school or whatever you have planned.

The Marine Corps has existed for 233 years and will continue to exist for the forseeable future.

The love of a lifetime doesn't exactly come around as often.

0231Marine
10-03-08, 07:13 AM
Unsupportive of her dreams?? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I don't want the girl I want to spend the rest of my life with deployed all the time to Iraq and Afghanistan and I only ever get to see her when I get leave.

If you and this guy are truly in love with eachother and are THAT serious, then get married and go to school or whatever you have planned.

The Marine Corps has existed for 233 years and will continue to exist for the forseeable future.

The love of a lifetime doesn't exactly come around as often.

You're telling me that a 17 year old has found the love of a life time? I don't buy into that for one second.

FutureBootLouie
10-03-08, 08:05 AM
You're telling me that a 17 year old has found the love of a life time? I don't buy into that for one second.

No, I'm saying that us, as outsiders, who don't know a thing about her or her boyfriend have no right or special insight to make that judgement for her.

FutureBootLouie
10-03-08, 08:08 AM

have fun waiting for the Marine Corps to issue you a husband

http://netsummary.dk/bianco/images/POSTER_ugly_man.jpg

...or be a lonely wretch for the rest of your life

neither sound pretty awesome jawsome to me.

Isrowei
10-03-08, 08:21 AM
Louie, your profile says you're 22 years old. Your picture on your profile says you're still living your party years. Somehow, I don't get the idea that you're really in the realm to talk from experience about when the time is right to settle down.

A lot of these Marines on this site have made the hard decisions about family vs Corps and have had the time and experience to know what makes good relationships and how to avoid a bad one, especially with regard to this Marine Corps.

I wouldn't want my wife to be deployed either, but I will tell you that no matter what I want.. if it's her dream.. I WILL support it. Love isn't selfish and if it is, it's not the kind of love that a person should be seeking. There are times to look out for a shared family interest, usually when the kids come along. But 17 isn't the time to subjucate your life for someone else's (young, immature, selfish) desires. It's the time to go and live life and enjoy it.

You may or may not agree, and that is your perogotive. But be careful when refuting older advice so heartily. It comes with something that people like you and I are still working on... years of been-there, done-that.

0231Marine
10-03-08, 08:23 AM
No, I'm saying that us, as outsiders, who don't know a thing about her or her boyfriend have no right or special insight to make that judgement for her.

I'll agree with that. I'm just going off of the description she gave though which lead me to the conclusion that here boyfriend is not the kind of guy any girl should be with. I believe that if she wants to be a Marine, then she should do that first and everything else will fall into place.

0231Marine
10-03-08, 08:25 AM
Louie, your profile says you're 22 years old. Your picture on your profile says you're still living your party years. Somehow, I don't get the idea that you're really in the realm to talk from experience about when the time is right to settle down.

A lot of these Marines on this site have made the hard decisions about family vs Corps and have had the time and experience to know what makes good relationships and how to avoid a bad one, especially with regard to this Marine Corps.

I wouldn't want my wife to be deployed either, but I will tell you that no matter what I want.. if it's her dream.. I WILL support it. Love isn't selfish and if it is, it's not the kind of love that a person should be seeking. There are times to look out for a shared family interest, usually when the kids come along. But 17 isn't the time to subjucate your life for someone else's (young, immature, selfish) desires. It's the time to go and live life and enjoy it.

You may or may not agree, and that is your perogotive. But be careful when refuting older advice so heartily. It comes with something that people like you and I are still working on... years of been-there, done-that.

Well said LT!

MotherGoose
10-03-08, 08:35 AM
Yeah, what the LT said......................BUT..........

I would GUARANTEE you will find that the men in the Marines may be more to your liking, so your boyfriend is justifiably scared on that one.

Isrowei
10-03-08, 08:37 AM
I would GUARANTEE you will find that the men in the Marines may be more to your liking, so your boyfriend is justifiably scared on that one.

Oh.. well... yea-uh! :marine:

That one is a no-brainer, but it deserves repeating from time to time.

Just think.. she could find an Achped out there... :p

0231Marine
10-03-08, 08:38 AM
Oh.. well... yea-uh! :marine:

That one is a no-brainer, but it deserves repeating from time to time.

Just think.. she could find an Achped out there... :p

Heaven help her if she does :)

MotherGoose
10-03-08, 09:11 AM
Hey, you never know! Her and Achped may be destined to be with each other!!

If she's been crazy about the Marine Corps since she was 9.... it would only seem natural for her to hook up with a Marine!

OB MSG
10-03-08, 09:14 AM
Yeah, but I shudder to think of what they would produce! :scared:

Achped + Anything with a heartbeat (and that's optional) = Very Scary!

ForeverMarine
10-03-08, 09:17 AM
If the Marine Corps wanted you to be married they'd issue you a husband/wife.....

I got that when I got Married while I was in the Corps.....should of listened lol

Isrowei
10-03-08, 09:36 AM
If the Marine Corps wanted you to be married they'd issue you a husband/wife.....

I'm sorry, I know that's a cliche'd expression and all... but that's the dumbest thing I think I hear on a regular basis when a Marine talks about marriage.

I suppose the Marine Corps should have also issued me the cardboard that I use as backing on my ribbons... or the iron that I use to crease my shirts. You know, by that line of thinking, the Marine Corps better start paying my dry cleaner bill or otherwise they don't really care about my uniforms looking presentable. And if the Commandant REALLY wanted me to read some list of books, he'd better damn well buy them for me...

C'mon.. how ridiculous is that statement?

There are plenty of things that Marines do that aren't "issued" to us that we are specifically expected to do. Marriage.. isn't even an expected thing. It's a personal choice that an individual makes. Hopefully they make with respect and concern for their duty as a Marine, but it is certainly not an incompatible decision with being a Marine.

ForeverMarine
10-03-08, 09:58 AM
I think the reason why the Marine Corps adopted that saying, Sir, is b/c of the statistics of enlisted Marines divorce rate.....Look at how young this kid is talking about getting married? 17? yea, most likely destined for failure....And The Marine Corps knows this bc most enlisted people are young coming straight out of highschool and had highschool sweethearts, in which, they think they are in love.....or its a Young Marine wanting a contract marriage for more money b/c lets face it, were not paid like a LT.....in which, the Marine Corps also knows that Marines do this as well, and they never work so thats another reason why they say it....

And Also these Marines do not have the luxory of being in college for 4 to 5 years and making life decisions at 24 or 25, they are making them at 18 - 19...I see that your a mustang and Ill give you a OOH-RAH for that, but you should see where the Marine Corps is coming from on this subject b/c while you got to actually know your wife in college, these Marines are trying to get to know their g/fs or b/fs over the phone long distance....which just does not work.....

Trust me if I would of known then what I know now, I would of never gotten married...

Isrowei
10-03-08, 11:07 AM
And the computer glitched...

Isrowei
10-03-08, 11:17 AM
Sgt Coy, I know where it came from. As you said, I've walked those shoes. I had my highschool "sweetheart"... and I joined the Marine Corps at 17. I didn't get to college till I was 22. I faced the same questions that you and this OP faced and I made my choices. Now being an officer and/or being older has NOTHING to do with what I did before.

The fact of the matter is there are a lot of reasons in play for a person to want to marry. And citing some quick "fire and forget" response that does nothing to provide sound reasoning or basis for a person to help them negotiate this critical decision in a young person's life is.. well.. in my opinion.. a failing in the stated leadership mandate given to all Marines of senior grade.

Marriage isn't a bane for only young enlisted. There are plenty of junior officers who don't have the maturity it takes either. Success does not depend on the size of one's paycheck as you implied because there are plenty of guys who DO get married young and have the maturity to see it through... OR.. they join the service late and while dealing with the same economic situation as their younger, more immature peers-in-rank, and they enjoy very stable marriages.

Trust me, I can argue very effectively against getting married at a young age. And I can argue FOR a person who does want to get married young. There are pros and cons for both. Whether one is in the military or not makes little difference in my experience. But the concept of "If it ain't issued, it ain't needed" is a cop-out to giving real mentorship to a person who is needing and looking for guidance and real advice. You can't argue against that.

Bottom line, your second answer (to me) included some of the reasoning and thought that should have gone into your first answer (to the OP). That would have been mentorship.

0231Marine
10-03-08, 11:57 AM
Sgt Coy, I know where it came from. As you said, I've walked those shoes. I had my highschool "sweetheart"... and I joined the Marine Corps at 17. I didn't get to college till I was 22. I faced the same questions that you and this OP faced and I made my choices. Now being an officer and/or being older has NOTHING to do with what I did before.

The fact of the matter is there are a lot of reasons in play for a person to want to marry. And citing some quick "fire and forget" response that does nothing to provide sound reasoning or basis for a person to help them negotiate this critical decision in a young person's life is.. well.. in my opinion.. a failing in the stated leadership mandate given to all Marines of senior grade.

Marriage isn't a bane for only young enlisted. There are plenty of junior officers who don't have the maturity it takes either. Success does not depend on the size of one's paycheck as you implied because there are plenty of guys who DO get married young and have the maturity to see it through... OR.. they join the service late and while dealing with the same economic situation as their younger, more immature peers-in-rank, and they enjoy very stable marriages.

Trust me, I can argue very effectively against getting married at a young age. And I can argue FOR a person who does want to get married young. There are pros and cons for both. Whether one is in the military or not makes little difference in my experience. But the concept of "If it ain't issued, it ain't needed" is a cop-out to giving real mentorship to a person who is needing and looking for guidance and real advice. You can't argue against that.

Bottom line, your second answer (to me) included some of the reasoning and thought that should have gone into your first answer (to the OP). That would have been mentorship.

LT, again, very profound statements. You are obviously well educated and know a thing or two about many different things.

I believe that deployments during this day and age in the Marine Corps is a large contributing factor to the high divorce rate. I may be stating the obvious but for the non-Marines coming in here, do think long and hard about your relationship choices prior to and even after enlisting. With the op-tempo the way it is currently and for the foreseeable future, there will likely come a time where you'll have to leave your spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend to go on a deployment. It is a very real fact that each of you needs to consider if you're thinking of starting a family or getting married while you're in. My wife and I faced this fact head on about 2 years ago and now here I sit, all civilianized but happily married. Just something to think about!

FutureBootLouie
10-03-08, 12:05 PM

I'm not refuting anybody's advice except for the fact that too many Marines view marriage with too strongly of a negative connotation. The only thing I'm saying is - "Just because it didn't work out for you, or your buddy, doesn't mean it won't work out for her"

It is absolutely possible to be in love at 17. Age is nothing but a number.

I just know that if I were with someone and hypothetically she now wants to enlist in the Army...I'd be thinking "ok, if I'm stationed in Pendleton and you're at Fort Campbell, will I ever see you except when I go on leave? Doesn't that pretty much spell the end of our relationship if I can only see you 30 days a year (if that) for the next 4 years?"

But either way, in conclusion, this is something she really needs to figure out on her own, and I doubt any of our "advice" would be constructive for her in a dilemma of such a deeply personal level.

ForeverMarine
10-03-08, 12:14 PM
No one here is saying being in love is a negative thing....now is marriage....Im very old school....I believe love is never ending....and I believe if your with the one person your meant for, a lifetime still is not long enough......

I think what everyone in this forum is trying to say is that marriage should not be taken lightly....its a major decision, and a life changing factor, just like leaving the comfort of your hometown and joining the Marine Corps....

My Message to any Marine that wants to get married....bottom line....do it for the right reasons and dont rush it......

Isrowei
10-03-08, 12:27 PM
It is absolutely possible to be in love at 17. Age is nothing but a number.

I had to read that twice. That was the argument I gave my parents at 15 when I wanted to do that same things that my 18 year old sister was doing. Guess what? They laughed and called it ridiculous.. and then they said that given a few years.. I would understand.

I'm not 15 anymore and I very much understand. I have, currently in my shop, a 19 year old LCpl and a 28 year old LCpl. The 19 year old actually has more time in service than my 28 year old. However, my 28 year old LCpl is the one I count on to deliver when it's crunch time. Why?

Because age makes a difference. Sure, there are small variations for personality here and there and there are some young studs who can really knock it out the park with performance at a very young age... but that's not the average. Not by a long shot.

Sure, can people be "in love" at 17? Sure. But anyone who has ever been in a long relationship, much less marriage, can tell you that it takes a far more mature view of love and commitment to make marriage a success than most young people are even thinking of at the time.

Isrowei
10-03-08, 12:30 PM
No one here is saying being in love is a negative thing....now is marriage....Im very old school....I believe love is never ending....and I believe if your with the one person your meant for, a lifetime still is not long enough......

I think what everyone in this forum is trying to say is that marriage should not be taken lightly....its a major decision, and a life changing factor, just like leaving the comfort of your hometown and joining the Marine Corps....

My Message to any Marine that wants to get married....bottom line....do it for the right reasons and dont rush it......

Well said!

I bolded the one line I think is key to this whole thing. Thanks for bringing that up.

thedrifter
10-03-08, 01:47 PM
Question been answer with no sight of the original poster....