PDA

View Full Version : VA and medications....anyone have problems?

foresteronw
10-01-08, 01:18 PM
Does anyone here feel the VA puts you on too much medication?

I've had one bad issue with them as far as giving me too much of one medication and turning me into a zombie for 8 hours, but that was taken care of.

Now I look at what they give me and wonder if its way too much? Anyone else feels like the VA just tries to dope you up for no reason at all?

boomer56328
10-01-08, 01:22 PM
I don't know from first hand experience, but in my job I deal w/ a lot of veterans. All the guys I deal w/ who use the VA have a ton of Rx pills. They also are stoned on them most of the time. Like I said though, I don't have first hand experience and maybe those guys I speak to really need the meds.

Petz
10-01-08, 02:08 PM
the VA does throw meds at you... but most of these guys are seeing lots of old people and us younger guys never had that "kind" of attention before.... Just say you want to try a less medicated approach if it's available... I've done that in the past and they don't complain.

I've turned down narcotics for pain because I don't want to go that road... so I get motrin.... yum!

Tradesmart
10-06-08, 05:16 PM
I have been in the VA system since 1969. I am 100%. They will intentionally give more meds then required. As the director, (Mr. Gardner) of the VAMC in Tucson said, "It is cheaper to send them home with a pill then treat them". I have returned meds to the VA (more then once) because they were not correct. I once had a website vamc.com. The site dealt with the VA and improper procedures and more! I was told to shut it down by the VA. They gave me no choice. If you look in the internet archives you will find some of it. If you are taking drugs from the VA look them up on the internet to see if you will have conflicts with other drugs you are taking (and look for proper dosages). Do not let the VA fill those little containers for you! They might make a mistake like they did with a friend. He almost died. Watch close! You are entitled to your medical records. "Demand" copies every 3-6 months. Also, get copies of the x-rays, ct's, etc. They will put it on a CD for you. Bottom line. Remember that for the rest of your life "The VA does not care". The VA overdosed me and I went to the University of AZ Medical Center and spent the night. The VA does not follow up on dosages and blood tests. I was on Atenolol for blood pressure. I was seriously overdosed. The VA knew I was sick for at least 2 years and never told me. Hey, John Ritter died from what I had. I was lucky and found a civilian doctor. I was lucky I had medicare and my wife's Blue Cross. The total bill for my surgery and post care is in excess of 1 Million bucks. Another fact to remember. "It is cheaper for the VA to let you die, then keep you alive". Read everything you doctor puts on that computer. He might lie! Mine did. With my VA medical records by my side I will debate any doctor, employee of the VA or Congress or the fool that is currently president. Bob Sgt 66-69

Petz
10-10-08, 11:49 PM
have you thought about writing your congressman or woman? I'm serious, though mccain is campaigning, there's other people who'll blow up about that kind of stuff... especially since the VA is being hounded by congress these days... any negative info will get taken care of pretty quick I'm sure.

I've been to the VA in Phoenix... I got my rating there of 70%... I feel you on how they treat you.

just call up your congresman/woman... let us know what they say.

and if you want to get all stubborn on us, just remember the worst they can say is "NO"... and you move on. Semper Fi Brother.

Tradesmart
10-11-08, 01:29 AM
I went to McCain's office a few years ago and he refused to do anything. I spoke to his secretary. Also I completed the standard forms and complaints. McCain and Jon Gardner (the director) are buddies. I have caused the Tucson VA lots of problems. When I found out about the stealing of drugs from the vault I complained and 3 days later the VAMC couldn't find my medical records! The seem to have lost everything but what is on the computer. The records were "lost" at the hospital not St. Louis. It's funny how the system works. If you ***** they won't take care of you. If you don't ***** they won't take care of you. It's hard to find the middle of the ditch. But believe me, the VA doesn't like me. I know the rules! When they said they were going to give me a computer for rehab I demanded more. The of course lied about the funding. They ended up giving me about $60K in rehab equipment. This is getting of subject but if you know the rules of vocational rehab, there is not limit stated in the rules. When everything settles after the election I'm going to hit on a senator with my records and the fact that they lost the originals in Tucson. Anyone that is familiar with hadit.com from years ago will remember what I did to the VA to get benefits. But I will say that they processed my disability in 6 months back in 97. I only had to apply once. Thanks for the response. Bob

Petz
10-12-08, 12:33 AM
you should goto the obama campaign with that one... it might light a serious fire under his ass if obama mentions you!!! haha, "mccain can't even take care of veterans in his own state...." then next thing you know mccain will be having photos taken with you saying his advisers never brought it to his attention... hahahahaa... you should try that.

Tradesmart
10-13-08, 03:31 PM
I wish that would work. I still have the letters from McCain's office disputing my claim!

McCain keeps saying we need a fighter, he is a fighter, etc. Well we lost the last war he was a part of.

Not to get to political but I don't like McCain! When I was flying for Keating he was a passenger on the BAC-111 and the Sabreliner 75 and the Sikorsky 76. A pilot's log book is audited now and then!

Pilots are like good secretaries. We are not supposed to mention discussions between the boss and passengers. I recommend McCain to be retired in one of his houses.

Nuff said.

McCain is eligible for VA meds. He collects the same VA money that I do. $2,669 per month. He refuses to use any VA hospital. He has said so on the plane and recommended that, "you don't either", refering to me.

Isn't it odd that when they had the Keating investigations that the pilots were not witnesses? LOL!

Hey, BTW, I wonder what "Archie Bunker" would think of Palin! And do our Marines want to take orders from her!

McCain seems to be the "advisor" but Obama seems to have the sense to listen to the Advisors (COS, etc).

Tradesmart
10-13-08, 04:44 PM
If they want you to take this drug, this is not good. This drug will screw your liver and kidneys. It is a major cause of cysts on both organs. It collects in the pancreas also.

I also have some. I use it very seldom. My pain has to get bad before I take it. They also give me Oxycodone which I use seldom. I've been out for months.

You do not need to take much for pain if you are given the right drug. No drugs are good drugs. They do have their purposes but they have side effects that are mostly worse.

I recommend finding a doc in the VA that is newer to the system. Once they are indoctrinated into the VA they are ruined as doctors.

Look for a doc that has a practice outside the VA that works part-time within the VA. Lots of shrinks do this.

Anyway, if you are taking more then 5.0/500 of this drug, that is too much. Cut it in half first. They give me 7.5/500 and I cut that.

Please don't tell anyone you have drugs in your "closet". That could get you into trouble. So retract that statement and don't even say you toss them.

The VA reads these comments. They read my site daily! The web administrator knows who looks at this site. He should post a list of the servers that access it. I did!

Keep in mind, if you don't cooperate with the VA and at least accept the drugs in the mail you will be "upsetting the system".

My friend who is now 84 (Army dude) gets some serious pain killers (morph'n). Since he hasn't been taking the dosage the VA requests he feels better. He takes aspirin daily. 325mg in the morning and another 325 at night.

If you are a member of the Tucson VAMC I can tell you some docs to stay away from. Also, go to your state website and find the medical url. Locate the doctors there. If they have had issues with the medical board they will be noted.

And, keep in mind. Because a doctor, nurse or other techie works for the VA that does not limit your pursuit of legal action against them. The are given a license by the state, they are only employed by the VA.

I get my info from my former sister-in-law, Chelsea Kidwell, MD (Stella Kidwell), google her! She is bright and she has worked for the VA. She saved my life 2 times when ofther MD's had their heads between their legs.

SgtDBrownRet
11-11-08, 09:07 PM
Medical care and treatment should be between you and your doctor. That is why I advise others to know your conditions and what meds are out there. When you go into the doctor’s office known a little about the condition you can work with him/her on the meds issue. May of the meds given are vitamins and such. So go online and find out the side effects before you take them. I didn’t once and ended up in the emergency room unable to breath. Had a straight Benadryl shot. Wow! That stuff cuts like glass when not mixed with saline.

JohnEaceHunt
11-12-08, 01:07 AM
There has been notices on the tube about methadone over a short period of time building up to toxic levels in the body. It doesn't take very long for this to happen. I have had at least 3 Veteran Brothers that was on this medication. They are now DEAD because of it. The va over prescribes this Drug to as many Veterans as they can. I have tried to tell 2 more so far that are on it to stop taking it , but they are hooked and won't listen. SO, if the va drs try to put you on it tell them please, "NO THANK YOU". I see a Private Antithesologists(sp), and am on a 24 hr. timed release Morphine called Avinsa. It works. I get 1- 60 mg. tablet every 24 hours. He saves the highest dosage a 90 Mg. for terminal cancer patients. I was miss diagnosed by the va at leats 3 times and it came close to costing me my life. BEWARE of the va. Like its been posted it costs them less to get rid of you , than keep you alive, and I have lived that as sure as I have posted this post.

DocGreek
11-12-08, 09:23 AM
Methadone?? HOLY CRAP!! What symptoms, are the V.A. Dr.s treating? Pain? That's NUTS!! Physical therapy, quality emotional counseling, and teaching patients, how to "live", with pain, and reasonable dosages of NON-ADDICTIVE drugs.....WORKS!!! Physical pain IS NOT caused by injury, alone. It's been proven with studies of recent amputees.....good brain, and thought control, work better results than med's. Just ask the x-Director of Veterans Affairs, Max Cleland, he's one tough S.O.B.! God Bless, and Keep you SAFE!.....SEMPER FI....Doc Greek