PDA

View Full Version : Learning General Orders

aaronle06
09-30-08, 01:50 AM
Hello All. I just recently signed up with leatherneck.com and I am a poolee going to MRCDSD 20081117 or as early as 20081013. I have been having trouble learning my General orders. I already know my leadership traits(JJDIDTIEBUCKLE), my complete USMC rank structure, all three verses of the Marine Hymn, and my three core values. Is there anything that fellow recruits, former recruits, or even fleet marines active or inactive that helps you remember them? I don't want to miss out on a squad leader/scribe position when my chance comes up.

Keep it strong, going all nigt long my fellow poolees and Marines.
Semper Fi.

Brandon1
09-30-08, 02:14 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28989

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28025

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28477

Read and heed, and you will go far...Maybe.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-30-08, 07:07 AM
Let's try the very basics, first.

Fill out a profile.

sparkie
09-30-08, 07:14 AM
Did I hear something?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,Guess not.

benw2200
09-30-08, 08:10 AM
I think of stupid little things in my head that connects the number with the order. It probably makes no sense to anyone else but it helps me out.. for instance #9 To call the Corporal of the Guard in any case not covered by instructions, I remember you CALL 911 in an emergency, so on number 9 you CALL the Corporal, etc. It doesn't have to make sense to other people, as long as it helps you keep them straight.

OB MSG
09-30-08, 08:56 AM
Still need to complete that profile, Poolee. I believe you've been told by the Sergeant already.

aaronle06
09-30-08, 09:52 AM
Sorry about the profile thing. I do not have my recruiter's phone number because my blackjackII was stolen at school a few weeks back.

OB MSG
09-30-08, 10:00 AM
I'll bet you could find his office in about 1/2 a second with Google Maps, or in a min with a phone book. Call, ask for him and get his contact info.

Funny thing about common sense...Not so common.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-30-08, 10:01 AM
So.......if you needed to contact the recruiter, how would you do so?

Did the recruiter give you a business card?

Do you have the 'yellow pages' at your residence or where you are?

Access to 'google' to locate your recruiting station?

Access to a telephone, to call 'information'?

Holy sweet jumping horny toads lad. What do you think we did before the advent of crackberries, cell phones, the internet, myspace, and everything else?

IMPROVISE, ADAPT, OVERCOME!

Life doesn't come to a grinding halt just because you lost your little electronic leash!!!!!!!

Geezus.

aaronle06
09-30-08, 03:48 PM
Alright, I now have my profile filled out. Now, does anyone know of any mental exercises to assist me on learning my 11 General Orders for a Sentry?

Phantom Blooper
09-30-08, 04:03 PM
Flash cards....Tape the General Orders and go for a 5 mile run or hump with earphones on.

Hell you work for Sylvan Learning Center...don't they have advice?

:evilgrin:

aaronle06
09-30-08, 04:12 PM
Flash cards....Tape the General Orders and go for a 5 mile run or hump with earphones on.

Hell you work for Sylvan Learning Center...don't they have advice?

:D:D
HAHA/.

This is the best post I've seen in years.

HurricaneRJ
09-30-08, 04:16 PM
You know how I learned my GO???

Try holding a M16A2 with your pinky, and waiting until 68 recruits recite all of them in order. Pain is the quickest way to learn things.

Quinbo
09-30-08, 04:29 PM
Walking through the chow hall holding a silver tray.... beans private, beer private (just kidding) , taters private, whatever that is private (then the cook comes out and says that is freaking meatloaf recruit)... ok meatloaf private. You then sit down with your heels touching and feet at a 45 degree angle and gobble all that chow down in about 60 seconds. Next is formation outside and guess what? The prac private has you reciting your general orders ad nauseum. You will be saying them so many times they will be tatooed on your brain.

CplGiraffe
09-30-08, 06:38 PM
Take two dice and throw them and recite that order.. (12 = GO 1)

SlingerDun
09-30-08, 07:04 PM
I think of stupid little things in my head that connects the number with the order. It probably makes no sense to anyone else but it helps me outThat technique makes perfect sense. Marines also dig on acronyms to simplify and trigger memory. Also putting each order into context: what's the purpose of this order? Imagine yourself in a position where it pertains. It gives one a visual that sticks to the brain pan. The more creative the better.

I have memorized and stored away the shapes of hundreds of horses feethttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif not simply because i trimmed and shaped shoes for each individual digit, but i have thought about why they look like they do. Contributing to a more vivid memory

--->Dave

Marine84
09-30-08, 07:24 PM
I have memorized and stored away the shapes of hundreds of horses feethttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif not simply because i trimmed and shaped shoes for each individual digit, but i have thought about why they look like they do. Contributing to a more vivid memory

--->Dave

That was just funny to me. I know you deal with horses but, it was just funny to me!

BlacknBlue
09-30-08, 07:28 PM
Write them down while saying them aloud. Will help tremendously with your memorization of them. Also try having people quizzing you on them.

UsmcMotorT
09-30-08, 07:40 PM
You'll learn them in bootcamp, trust me.

I knew all my General Orders because I was in NJROTC, but it didnt really matter, nor did it give me any advantage.

Just concentrate your physical conditioning.

HurricaneRJ
09-30-08, 07:46 PM
D.I. "Johnson, make a new 13th General Order!"

Me: "Aye sir!!!!."

"Sir! The new 13th General Order is!" "TO WALK MY POST FROM FLANK TO FLANK, FCUK YOU, YOUR MOM, AND YOUR GOD DAMN RANK!"

D.I.: "****, Johnson, I think we might have something here! Pull off your blouse!"

I'll never forget that!

Garrett90
09-30-08, 08:48 PM
My advice. Write them down and lay the piece of paper you write it on, on the back of your toilet. Every time you go in there to handle your business, sit there reading them over and over. Thats how I learned my General Orders and 14 Leadership Traits lol. Everyone spends a good deal of time on the toilet. Why not multi task on the bowl?

kash
09-30-08, 08:52 PM
My advice. Write them down and lay the piece of paper you write it on, on the back of your toilet. Every time you go in there to handle your business, sit there reading them over and over. Thats how I learned my General Orders and 14 Leadership Traits lol. Everyone spends a good deal of time on the toilet. Why not multi task on the bowl? Thats a good idea haha

I remember the first 6 by going to my recruiters office and they would always quiz me on them and after every PT session we had we would also have a study session.

Zulu 36
09-30-08, 09:39 PM
I'm just curious how some of us older types managed to learn all of this stuff without forums, Google, DEP Pool activities, etc. Oh wait, now I remember: "Bends and thrusts until you puke, maggot!"

I can clearly remember the echoing voice from the Duty Hut 37-years ago:

"School circle!" "Sir, School circle. Aye, aye, Sir!!"

"General orders!!" "Sir, General orders. Aye, aye, Sir!!" "Sir, the private's first general order is:...." ETC.

Memorization and repetition, with pain as a motivator. Works every time.

benw2200
09-30-08, 09:42 PM
If you suck at memorizing, just take them a day at a time. Any f*cking idiot can memorize one sentence a day through repetition if nothing else.. so memorize #1 on day 1, 1-2 on day 2, etc. You should have them flawless in less than 2 weeks :D

darkgreen0311
09-30-08, 10:44 PM
The most important General Order is, to walk my post from flank to flank and don't take sh!t from any rank.

:marine:SEMPER FI 4 LIFE!!!

clarksterdotcom
09-30-08, 11:18 PM
The most important General Order is, to walk my post from flank to flank and don't take sh!t from any rank.

:marine:SEMPER FI 4 LIFE!!!

Oh Yea! Sounds hardass when you have an entire platoon sounding off to that General Order, but a GySgt SDI from our company didnt find it as amusing as our SDI. We ended up buttoning our top button and unblousing our first day of Land Nav.

Sounds rash but rumor in the "Recruit Underground" was that the prac recruit recieved an NJP for saying it. Never had a chance to ask him personally because he was sent away to PCP.

Back on topic, I was only in the DEP for about 2.5 weeks and could not recite any general order when begin quized laxly, let alone if a Drill Instructor were to "ask":evilgrin:

I learned them quickly in boot camp because you really do remember things better when you yell them. It will prolly also help to use the number along with the first to words of each general order.

EX: 1-To Take, 2- To Walk, etc.

aaronle06
10-03-08, 11:02 PM
If anyone cares, I am already on my fourth General Order for Sentries. That's almost half way.

lagrand
10-03-08, 11:32 PM
Aaron, regarding your first post...the phrase "Semper Fi" (and also "oorah") is only used by Marines and some may not be comfortable with poolees using such phrases (and it's also in the rules). Just giving you a heads up in case you were ready to dish out an "Always Faithful" in another thread. God bless.

- LaGrand

HurricaneRJ
10-03-08, 11:34 PM
Believe me, when you get there. You will repeat the rank structure, chain of command, General Orders. There are other **** too.

My D.I. taught all the black guys the proper way to roll a blunt, while he was destroying us on the 1/4 deck. Best 1/4 deck session I ever had.

Haffner
10-03-08, 11:46 PM
I've got some F@CKIN ADVICE. Learn the ******* **** the same as you learned everything else in school. <br />
<br />
I'd slap a ***** if they asked me a question like this. If you tell me you do not know how...

Sgt Baker
10-04-08, 06:13 AM
Walking through the chow hall holding a silver tray.... beans private, beer private (just kidding) , taters private, whatever that is private (then the cook comes out and says that is freaking meatloaf recruit)... ok meatloaf private. You then sit down with your heels touching and feet at a 45 degree angle and gobble all that chow down in about 60 seconds. Next is formation outside and guess what? The prac private has you reciting your general orders ad nauseum. You will be saying them so many times they will be tatooed on your brain.

Ahhhhh, the memories!!!!!!!!! Take heed!

SGT7477
10-04-08, 08:20 AM
Alright, I now have my profile filled out. Now, does anyone know of any mental exercises to assist me on learning my 11 General Orders for a Sentry?

I can't wait to meet you at the yellow foot prints.:evilgrin:

degenerate138
10-04-08, 12:44 PM
Wow MossMC, that's a good idea. I'm definitely going to start doing that.

Rev3ngE
10-04-08, 12:58 PM
I thaught the general orders were pretty easy to get down. It took me a week of about 15min a day learning 2-3 at a time. Tip: Leave #11 for learning by itself.

hardcorps1110
10-04-08, 01:32 PM
Hello All. I just recently signed up with leatherneck.com and I am a poolee going to MRCDSD 20081117 or as early as 20081013. I have been having trouble learning my General orders. I already know my leadership traits(JJDIDTIEBUCKLE), my complete USMC rank structure, all three verses of the Marine Hymn, and my three core values. Is there anything that fellow recruits, former recruits, or even fleet marines active or inactive that helps you remember them? I don't want to miss out on a squad leader/scribe position when my chance comes up.

Keep it strong, going all nigt long my fellow poolees and Marines.
Semper Fi.

Just repetition. Over and over, just like practice helps you learn anything.... if I had any advice for this, type or write them over and over or just say it while doing pt.

Sgt Baker
10-04-08, 01:37 PM
But, once you have them, you have them! I can recite them even to this day.

FLRULZURSHPSCKS
10-04-08, 04:52 PM
This guy's profile has to be fake. Hometown n/a? Works for Sylvan Learning Center and doesn't know how to learn, favorite color pink, and has the dumbest posts on here probably just to p!ss us all off and go off on him. I hope this is fake. Oh and doesn't know how to contact his recruiter. Bullsh!t

jetdoc
10-05-08, 08:44 AM
It was one of the best things I did before going to bootcamp. Hey FLR, you have a bug on your thread dude. haha.

benw2200
10-05-08, 12:35 PM
I thaught the general orders were pretty easy to get down. It took me a week of about 15min a day learning 2-3 at a time. Tip: Leave #11 for learning by itself.

Don't you mean #6? That's the one that always gets me.

Rains
10-07-08, 03:16 PM
I just created a word document, copy and pasted the General Orders off a site, tweaked it to my likeing then printed it off and tacked it to the wall in my room where I will see it everyday. It helps me remember to recite them in my head throughout the day.
Plus I like to think I am good at memorizing things (I memorized the Marine Corps Hymn in 1 hour), so it wasnt to hard for me.
Just keep at it.

Do-Or-Die
10-08-08, 07:39 PM
Number 11 was a pain for me too, but if you just commit to it it's pretty simple. Repitition did me well and I got them all down now, you have to commit.

sanchez91
10-11-08, 08:49 PM
i thought i was gonna be hard trying to remember all 11 general orders but it really isnt
im more that half way done

sparkie
10-11-08, 10:06 PM
I got thru USMC Electronics School by doing 1 thing. Write it down,,,,,. I wrote big notes thru school, and in the barracks at nite, re wrote them till they were mine. Write your orders,,,and again.

SGT7477
10-12-08, 08:44 AM
i thought i was gonna be hard trying to remember all 11 general orders but it really isnt
im more that half way done

Soak it in like a sponge.:evilgrin: