PDA

View Full Version : 487 days is too long!

BauerUSMC
09-29-08, 08:59 PM
hi everyone. im a junior in high school. im going to join the MARINE CORPS when im 18. but it seems like it's such a long time away. this is a good thing i guess, it gives me more time to prepare.
can i please have some tips on what i should be doing in preparation?

Height: 6'0"
Weight: 137
BF: 7-8%

im used to eating 6 small meals a day, but started eating three square a day.
i run 3-4 miles a day when i can, i can do 50 push ups, and 80 crunches in 2 minutes. the biggest problem i have is with pull ups, i can only do 2. but ill buy a bar and keep practicing. any other tips besides that? thanks in advance

UsmcMotorT
09-29-08, 09:25 PM
Finish school and stay out of trouble.

You got a year to work on your pullups. Just keep doing them.

This have been covered a trillion times, read through the forum and you'll be surprised at what you find.

DOWORK1
10-01-08, 03:02 PM
You are in good physical shape. I would recommend weight training 2-3 times a week, I train with weights 5 times a week. WORK YOUR BACK MUSCLES OUT NOW! This is one of the most overlooked muscle groups. If you do that you will have a edge in boot, when it comes to pullups and ruck marches...two of the hardest events to me. When I came to boot I could do only 6 pullups and I had trouble on the ruck marches, Now I can do 23 pullups and I just did a 14 mile ruck last weekend. Learn things like the rank structure and Marine history. These things can be found with a search here on the forums or google. You really cant be prepared for boot, its like a kick in the nuts you just have to take it.

BauerUSMC
10-01-08, 07:21 PM
You are in good physical shape. I would recommend weight training 2-3 times a week, I train with weights 5 times a week. WORK YOUR BACK MUSCLES OUT NOW! This is one of the most overlooked muscle groups. If you do that you will have a edge in boot, when it comes to pull ups and ruck marches...two of the hardest events to me. When I came to boot I could do only 6 pullups and I had trouble on the ruck marches, Now I can do 23 pullups and I just did a 14 mile ruck last weekend. Learn things like the rank structure and Marine history. These things can be found with a search here on the forums or google. You really cant be prepared for boot, its like a kick in the nuts you just have to take it.

thanks for the advice. ya i go to weight room every Monday, Wednesday, Friday after school. and I've also memorized the Hymn and the 11 general sentry orders. i know all the dates and famous people too
tun tavern 10 November 1775!:banana:

Marine84
10-01-08, 07:51 PM
I got the beer this time MotorT

Pete0331
10-01-08, 10:58 PM
hi everyone. im a junior in high school. im going to join the MARINE CORPS when im 18. but it seems like it's such a long time away. this is a good thing i guess, it gives me more time to prepare.

i run 3-4 miles a day when i can, i can do 50 push ups, and 80 crunches in 2 minutes. the biggest problem i have is with pull ups, i can only do 2. but ill buy a bar and keep practicing. any other tips besides that? thanks in advance

What is your run time?
What is your caloric intake? Just asking because 137 lbs. is underweight for 6'.

If the pull-ups get mundane, get into swimming or rock climbing.
You have quite a bit of time to improve yourself. The only problem with that is you run the risk of burning yourself out.

FutureBootLouie
10-02-08, 05:00 PM

Quit running right now. Stop ALL running. You are unhealthily skinny and you have no upperbody strength whatsoever (hence 2 pullups despite weighing only 137)

Go back to 6 small meals a day. You need to consume 20x your body weight in calories. So 140 lbs (rounding up) x 20 = 2800 calories a day.

You know what? consume 3000, it'll be even better.

You are what we call an ectomorph. We naturally have small frames and have hard time putting on muscle.

Get some whey protein. I pound 12 scoops a day of whey, but you don't need to go to that extreme. However, you should consume 1-1.5 x your body weigh in protein.

So get about 200 grams of protein a day. I don't care how. Chicken, red meat, fish, and whey protein powder.

4 scoops of whey protein will get you 100g or so. Get the others from a different source.

Don't worry about your carb and fat intake, you will be getting plenty of that anyways from the pasta, bread and cooking oils you already eat.

Lastly, HIT THE WEIGHTS.

I want you to go on a lifting program that works your whole body
throughout the week. Bench, squat, military press, deadlift.

The weight should be heavy enough that you're doing between 4-7 reps per set.

If you have no clue how to lift, get a friend onb the football team to teach you.

Seriously, 6'0 137 lbs, boot camp will break you in half. And all the sit ups and pullups and running in the world won't help you. Hit the weights.

http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot_intro.asp

sign up for this - the max ot program. It'll give you a good idea of a lifting program.

BauerUSMC
10-03-08, 10:16 PM
thanks a lot for the advice. i would totally eat that much, i just don't want to get fat again, hence the running. i just signed up for the program you sent. thanks again.

Pete0331
10-03-08, 10:53 PM
thanks a lot for the advice. i would totally eat that much, i just don't want to get fat again, hence the running. i just signed up for the program you sent. thanks again.

Right now you are dangerously underweight.

Unless you are planning to be a double-rat recruit in boot camp, start gaining the weight back now.

JordanB
10-04-08, 12:21 AM
Want some really good advice? Go to college and become an officer, not everyone will admit it but every Marine who drooped out of college to sign up *guilty* will tell you they should have graduated and gone in as officers. Now, obviously not everyone has what it takes to be a Marine and even fewer have what it takes to be an officer, but if you do have the opportunity to go commissioned as opposed to enlisted then you would be doing your country and the Corps a disservice not to atleast try and go to college in order to be an officer first.