PDA

View Full Version : Usmc Desert Marpat Combat Shirt

TBRIANTIV
09-29-08, 12:52 AM
Do any of you Marines know if this is an issued item or can it be purchased? One of my Nco's told me he got his out in iraq.

Best way to describe it is:

Material = Spandex (under armour)
Torso - Coyote
Sleeves - Desert MARPAT

?

:usmc:

Pete0331
09-29-08, 12:55 AM
Not that I know of.
I know Crye makes one in MultiCam, and I have seen HSLD individuals have the made by tailors.

PaidinBlood
10-01-08, 08:39 PM
Sounds like a FROG suit, man. (Flame Resistant (or Retardant, can't remember) Organizational Gear) Usually issued as needed, in country. Don't worry-you don't want one; they're kind of lame... They are designed to keep you comfortable under a flak but still give the appearance of wearing the whole uniform still.

RememberMorriso
10-02-08, 12:53 AM
I've seen those before at Brigade Quartermasters. If I saw a Marine wearing that **** I would ninja punch them.

Pete0331
10-02-08, 02:06 PM
If I saw a Marine wearing that **** I would ninja punch them.

Why?
They have a piece of equipment that may make them more efficient at their job, happier, more comfortable, etc.

As long as it is only used in the field I have no problem with it.

PaidinBlood
10-02-08, 07:21 PM
Why?
They have a piece of equipment that may make them more efficient at their job, happier, more comfortable, etc.

As long as it is only used in the field I have no problem with it.

Yeah I guess it is a matter of preference. I never liked them. I think the ninja kicks were for the crowd who wears their ESS out in town...?

outlaw3179
10-02-08, 07:56 PM
No theyre for horseshoe haircuts

Pete0331
10-02-08, 08:27 PM
No theyre for horseshoe haircuts

I thought they were reserved for 7.62 Design T-Shirts and combat boots on libo? :marine:

outlaw3179
10-02-08, 09:38 PM
Dont forget the warbag, and web belt.

usmchauer
10-02-08, 09:53 PM
You guys are a couple of clowns. I thought it was for PT Gear at the beach, or camelbacks at Sea World?

Pete0331
10-02-08, 11:44 PM
I thought it was for PT Gear at the beach, or camelbacks at Sea World?

What about wearing a CIF Fleece at the Days Inn?

PaidinBlood
10-03-08, 03:17 PM
Talk about a tangent. :) Did the feller who wanted to know wtf a FROG suit was get his question answered? Or did he get scared off by "BOOT hatin'"?

ps-Sometimes it is as heinous as packing everything you own into a 150lb. ruck and then walking around town looking for a high and tight and a cheap hotel room... LoserCruiser up!

justinrod09
10-11-08, 01:45 PM
TO answer the question and make a joke... lol

it was juss another underarmor shirt that was sold at the PX on camp fallujah & other bases with PX's in Iraq, to have marines waste more money on the PX. And worn by wanna-be grunts & recon marines aka supply reservists.......

Gunner0331
10-11-08, 03:02 PM
i've never seen them but we're getting them issued for afghanistan. i heard about these when i read this the other day and i saw advon's gear from supply and they had them. they look like a great peice of gear

PaidinBlood
10-11-08, 08:43 PM
TO answer the question and make a joke... lol

it was juss another underarmor shirt that was sold at the PX on camp fallujah & other bases with PX's in Iraq, to have marines waste more money on the PX. And worn by wanna-be grunts & recon marines aka supply reservists.......

I don't know where you were at, but I've never FROG suits for sale in country, only issued. They were is such short supply we were "politely" requested to leave them in country for the next unit. They are over rated and not that cool. However, the trousers are comfortable and the shirt will make you look like a stud if you've been working out... :cool:

Pete0331
10-11-08, 08:57 PM
I don't know where you were at, but I've never FROG suits for sale in country, only issued. They were is such short supply we were "politely" requested to leave them in country for the next unit. They are over rated and not that cool. However, the trousers are comfortable and the shirt will make you look like a stud if you've been working out... :cool:

What material is it made from?

Gunner0331
10-11-08, 10:54 PM
it looked as if an under armour type material

Pete0331
10-12-08, 01:15 AM
it looked as if an under armour type material

Wasn't there a ban of those type of materials? Or was there a change in policy?

Diep
10-12-08, 02:41 AM
What material is it made from?

It's made of a spandex-flame retardent type material. It's the same thing as flight suits only generation III. Mostly people in country use it whenever they convoy. I personally prefer the flight suit but recently they put this stupid rule that you have to wear cammies well in my unit anyways. The FROG III suit is pretty comfortable though and the plus side it keeps you more flame retardent than the flight suits.

You only can get issued them. I've tried looking for places to purchase them to no avail. You can either get it before deploying or like I did when I got in country.

I'm still in Iraq by the way and the only marines that I see wearing them are the ones that have to convoy a lot.

bgsuwoody
10-12-08, 08:30 AM
Hey Gunner, you sound like you are from 3/8 as I am regarding the timeline...Welcome aboard

PaidinBlood
10-12-08, 08:52 AM
All depends on the command (maybe RCT level?) Last time we couldn't even do dismounted patrols with out a "fire resistant" uniform. We chose flight suits for comfort and convenience, but I didn't care for the look. The were paper thin (good for heat, bad for wire and debris) and I didn't think they looked very ferocious on patrol. Flight suit was good for blending in with dirt and there was a lot of that. Never wore the FROG suit, just carried it my kit bag the whole time. First deployment was plain old utlitities and I preferred that. Some amateur testing, as Marines will do, seemed to show that the flight suit wasnt even that fire-proof. It was slow to catch but if you get accelerant on you (like an incendiary IED) you're still going to fry. As much as I complained, I think a lot of the glove wearing was a good idea, as a burn to the hands can be so crippling.. Oh well.

TBRIANTIV
05-12-09, 04:33 PM
To aid my fellow Marines in this discussion. I was not scared off from boot haters, I had other business to attend at the time! I am back now. And freshly promoted Lance Criminal. This is the piece of gear I was trying to attain information on. http://www.blackhawk.com//CatalogImages/18-1219-IMG1.jpeg

PaidinBlood
05-12-09, 05:22 PM
congratulations, and yes it is still a FROG shirt and no I don't have the NSN handy....

Sgt Leprechaun
05-16-09, 07:03 AM
Interesting. Thanks for posting the pic on that. As a collector, I'm interested in anything that's being issued and actually used (no matter how 'boot/goofy' other Marines say it is LOL).

Supersquishy
05-20-09, 04:20 PM
You can buy it here......http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=18275&TabID=1t

I doubt they are official issue for the Marines.

Pete0331
05-20-09, 05:17 PM
You can buy it here......http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=18275&TabID=1t

Nope, that is the Blackhawk version with the internal tourniquet system.

Looks like a good piece of gear, but not for that price.

echo3oscar1833
05-20-09, 06:03 PM
I've seen those before at Brigade Quartermasters. If I saw a Marine wearing that **** I would ninja punch them.

K not to start something here, but Im going to ask the question. Why do you have the Marine Corps Reserve Ribbon on your signature. That ribbon was declared obsolete in 1967, and was replaced with the Armed Forces Reserve Medal. To rate the Reserve Ribbon is a total of 10 years and you had to serve before 1965. And the Armed Forces Reserve Medal you have to have served 10 years also. Agian not to start something, just wanted to pass on a correction. Probably an honest mistake, don't want you to get flamed by someone.

Marine Corps Reserve Ribbon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Corps_Reserve_Ribbon

Armed Forces Reserve Medal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_Reserve_Medal

PaidinBlood
05-20-09, 06:21 PM

Essentially the same item, except for the tourniquets...

Achped
05-22-09, 06:59 AM
For what its worth, I saw like 3 or 4 shirts for sale at an Army Navy store in Florida, didn't catch the price but they were authentic USMC Frog II shirts.

Geez if you guys wanted them that bad I could have sent you some while I was deployed haha.

Thornton
02-24-10, 10:17 AM
There's another variation of the Frog suit shirt in both woodland and desert digital at Sgt. Grit:
http://usmcshop.grunt.com/Products/Marines/PID-2557.aspx?VariantID=2557M

Not exactly the same as the Marine issue, but if you want your own it works.

Gunner0331
03-02-10, 03:09 PM
Hey Gunner, you sound like you are from 3/8 as I am regarding the timeline...Welcome aboard
be it known that CPL Woodall/bgsuwoody doesnt have a Combat Action Ribbon like his little ribbon bar down there states

Sgt Leprechaun
03-02-10, 07:43 PM
Clarify.....

SlingerDun
03-02-10, 09:45 PM
Yeah whats up Gunner, why you saying Woody's a poser?

--->Dave

bgsuwoody
03-20-10, 05:45 PM
be it known that CPL Woodall/bgsuwoody doesnt have a Combat Action Ribbon like his little ribbon bar down there states

Thats a ****ing daring claim...Here I'll give you my writeup for it. I live in room 324 HP 165 If you want to come see it.

IED Attack on 19 Dec 2009

Summary of Action

Each individual included on this recommendation has been screened and has not previously received the Combat Action Ribbon for Operation ENDURING FREEDOM.

On 19 January, 2009 while returning from a QRF mission and traveling down 515, locals informed India 2’s patrol that there had been IED’s emplaced in front of the patrol. Upon hearing this, the engineers dismounted from MTVR, the lead vehicle, and began V-sweeping the area. Providing security for them was SSgt McBroom, SSgt Baggett, Sgt Ortiz and Lt McMenamin. The MTVR was in trace of the Marines by 10 meters. After sweeping over 1000 meters of route 515, the MTVR rolled over a pressure plate improvised explosive device closing the circuit and igniting the IED. Upon detonation, everyone took cover and SSgt McBroom yelled at LCpl Wansley and LCpl Woodall to dismount from the MTVR in case their were secondary IEDs in the area. The engineers Cpl Lopez and Cpl McDonald were ten meters away from the blast along with the Marines providing security. Once the smoke and debris cleared SSgt McBroom checked the area for casualties and informed Lt McMenamin that all the Marines were in good condition. This information was then passed up to India Company COC, resulting in QRF from Barrows being launched with EOD. While this was happening the engineers continued to sweep the area for IEDS, with Sgt Ortiz providing security for them. The rest of the dismounts after doing their 5 meter and 25 meter checks around their vehicles began clearing the nearby compounds for trigger man or observers. Once the area was cleared by EOD, the engineers continued to sweep another 2000 meters, resulting in the finding of another IED.
Throughout this attack, all Marines and Sailors involved conducted themselves in an honorable manner. All Marines in the patrol performed all IA drills as per SOP and maintained security in there assigned sectors of fire, this was even after being out on a QRF mission for over 12 hours.

ROSTER OF MARINES AND SAILORS

WANSLEY
JAMES
N
LCPL

WAS THE DRIVER IN THE MTVR THAT WAS HIT BY THE IED.
WOODALL
MICHEAL
C
LCPL

WAS THE VEHICLE COMMANDER WHEN IT WAS HIT BY THE IED.
MCDONALD
MICHEAL
H
CPL

WHILE SWEEPING FOR IEDS, WAS WITHIN 10M OF THE BLAST AND FELT THE EFFECTS OF THE BLAST. AFTER THE BLAST CONTINUED SWEEPING THE AREA CHECKING FOR SECONDARY IEDS.
LOPEZ
JAIME
A
CPL

WHILE SWEEPING FOR IEDS, WAS WITHIN 10M OF THE BLAST AND FELT THE EFFECTS OF THE BLAST. AFTER THE BLAST CONTINUED SWEEPING THE AREA CHECKING FOR SECONDARY IEDS.
ORTIZ
DOUGLAS
F
SGT

PROVIDED SECURITY FOR THE ENGINEERS AS THEY SWEPT FOR IEDS. WAS WITHIN 10M OF THE BLAST AND FELT THE EFFECTS OF THE BLAST. AFTER THE BLAST CONTINUED TO PROVIDE SECURITY TO HELP FIND THE SECOND IED. WHILE DOING THIS MANUEVERED HIS SQUAD TO HELP WITH THE CLEARING OF COMPOUNDS VICINITY OF THE ROAD.
BAGGETT
MICHEAL
D
SSGT

PROVIDED SECURITY FOR THE ENGINEERS AS THEY SWEPT FOR IEDS. WAS WITHIN 10M OF THE BLAST AND FELT THE EFFECTS OF THE BLAST. AFTER THE BLAST CONTINUED TO PROVIDE SECURITY TO HELP FIND THE SECOND IED.

MCMENAMIN
JAMES
P
2NDLT

THE PATROL LEADER AND PROVIDED SECURITY FOR THE ENGINEERS AS THEY SWEPT FOR IEDS. WAS WITHIN 10M OF THE BLAST AND FELT THE EFFECTS OF THE BLAST. AFTER THE BLAST CALLED IN THE IED ATTACK REPORT AND COORDINATED THE CLEARING OF COMPOUNDS.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-20-10, 06:11 PM
And I believe that answers THAT question, once and for all.

I expect an apology forthcoming. Strike that....I will SEE an apology forthcoming.

Otherwise, there will be an extraction performed.

PaidinBlood
04-03-10, 09:18 AM

Ya got something to say,say it to him yourself. What a tool. :thumbdown

echo3oscar1833
04-03-10, 10:18 AM
Ya got something to say,say it to him yourself. What a tool. :thumbdown

I agree thats a pretty outrageous thing to say to someone in an open forum:thumbdown

HOWARDROARK3043
04-03-10, 10:28 AM
the frog shirt sucks it falls apart and goes to crap and --you will never wear it in garrison,,,, now a cool piece of gear is the british frog suit,,,,,

Sgt Leprechaun
04-03-10, 06:34 PM
The allegator gets a time out for failing to follow up and unprofessional behavior.

'3043, really? Interesting. How long did you wear it before it did that?

HOWARDROARK3043
04-03-10, 07:54 PM
they give the Marines two shirts,,and in afghanistan it is real nasty ,, and those that go out everyday get them all dusty and sweaty and they fall apart,,,then they come to supply and as always give them what they need....

there nice to have i gave mine back,,,,,,your a tool if you even think about wearing it in garrison,,, for whatever reason

Sgt Leprechaun
04-03-10, 07:59 PM
LOL. Good to know. Thanks for that scoop. Wouldn't mind having one for my collection but I'll have to wait 'til they hit the 'surplus' market, if any survive.

bgsuwoody
04-18-10, 01:21 PM
Hit me up Sgt Leprechaun, I have a few left over, I think a few may be new, I may be able to get one in your size, or whatever size with a little bit of wheeling and dealing.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-18-10, 08:47 PM
Cool! Done.